The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:48 am 

A Hunt of Red October fun from a long long time ago, I took a simple HobbyBoss kit, made few improvements and here she is. A simple build over a week. The pics show up a bit of lint on it - I took care of that. I also think I will lighten up the screw color. Otherwise not much else here.

This is a Flight I boat, which are all decommissioned now. I also made her appear as she would enter a dry dock after service somewhere in the warm Pacific, with muck-line, algae and all.

Changes made:
- removed hull join lines
- remodelled rear rudders
- only added draft markings decals, rest were not there for service so skipped those

Appreciate some feedback as always!

Attachments:
_MG_1641k.jpg
_MG_1641k.jpg [ 202.84 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
_MG_1642 l.jpg
_MG_1642 l.jpg [ 153.2 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
_MG_1644 k.jpg
_MG_1644 k.jpg [ 204.62 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
_MG_1645 s.jpg
_MG_1645 s.jpg [ 146.34 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
_MG_1646vw.jpg
_MG_1646vw.jpg [ 128.15 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
_MG_1648 l.jpg
_MG_1648 l.jpg [ 226.04 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
_MG_1650p.jpg
_MG_1650p.jpg [ 219.57 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:06 pm 

very nice! The weathering looks very good. :thumbs_up_1:

How did you do the "muck-line"? Did you mask it and airbrushed it, or is it freehand?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:58 am 

hypno7 wrote:
very nice! The weathering looks very good. :thumbs_up_1:

How did you do the "muck-line"? Did you mask it and airbrushed it, or is it freehand?

Thank you!

I actually airbrushed it, and then followed up with enamel wash and then brushed the green and yellow bits.

Here is how the process looks in detail:

So basically I painted the whole thing black, then added the red antifouling line across the hull.
Then I have masked the waterline - by using the pencil on a level I marked the line on the hull all around - remember that the early 688s which this one is, the boats sat lower in the water at the stern, when docked or at slow speed. So the waterline-muckline will be at an angle, for which I had adjusted the boat.

So once, I marked the waterline correctly, I then masked the top portion using masking tape, and left the underwater portion ready to airbrush. Then I did slight passes of buff with green diluted a lot with thinner (like 9 to 1 ratio) all around the waterline. Once the masking tape was off, the boat looked like this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtRhD7Zn0vq/

And after that of course I used various washes - oils, enamel washes, and some little brush strokes to simulate the wear and build ups along the hull.

Now the white muckline had to be added. I did a few dots of AK Interactive sea salt enamel wash all ABOVE the waterline. Then streaked it down below the waterline using spirit. That gave me the correct streaks above the hull. And here is the fun part: I used then white spirit to "tuck up" the salt streaks that went below waterline from previous job of hull streaking. I tuck it up right up to the muck line that was painted with an airbrush. So that gives you the build up but doesnt come up too high above the waterline.

So basically manually after airbrushing.

Then - clear coat it.

Then used some diluted green paint to just brush up lightly along the white muck line -- it sort of absorbs it nicely and gets a hue. Few more passes with light rust to discolor the white and green and you get a good uneven, random looking muckline.

Easy, right? It is only 1/700. I will do a 1/350 LA class also, where this will be all much more interestingly visible. :)

Full process is here: https://www.instagram.com/pascalemod/

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:54 pm 

Just catching up.
I found my way here from your comments on Calling all Gato class...

You have done a remarkable job on this little 1/700 kit. Looks like I need to go back and correct my old Hobby Boss LA kits hull and stern Diving planes, soak the whole thing in brake fluid, and repaint.
Wow, I like what you have done.
And thanks for the Instagram link too. I'll be following.
Nino

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:07 am 

Nino wrote:
Just catching up.
I found my way here from your comments on Calling all Gato class...

You have done a remarkable job on this little 1/700 kit. Looks like I need to go back and correct my old Hobby Boss LA kits hull and stern Diving planes, soak the whole thing in brake fluid, and repaint.
Wow, I like what you have done.
And thanks for the Instagram link too. I'll be following.
Nino

Thanks man! Haha yes, the Gato vid was fun, love his content. Well as you see I have had to refill hull lines and repaint the boat, but this kind of work typically results in better finish (as inaccuracies and resprays add more randomness to the finish, which is key). The 1/350 kit is more accurate though, so might try that. I just have almost all of my ships in 1/700 so for me the the smaller scale is a necessity.

Report this post