The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:55 pm 

Purchase my first ship in 700 in a While.

Thought I would tackle JMSDF ships, specifically DDH Shrine, Hurana, Hyuga, and Izumo...but then came the Tamiya Ibuki...WoW :woo_hoo: It looks like a Izumo-class DDH with a ski-jump.

So, I brought this kit and started working on it....also purchased an 'Artist Hobby' PE set, specific for this kit! It has Most (missing a couple) vent covers along the hull + the PE for A/C :thumbs_up_1:

What about your thoughts about this kit, anybody else interested/bought it?? :anyone:

Good Build

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm 
Is that the WWII light carrier that was a conversion from a cruiser but was not completed?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:13 pm 

No, they're talking about this: https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/25413/index.htm

Basically the modern JMSDF Izumo but with a skiramp and jet blast deflector included as extra parts to depict a fictional ship from a comic/manga series.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:58 am 

There's a non-zero chance the carriers might actually end up looking like that.

I will say that not engraving the helicopter landing lines in the deck is a big positive for the Tamiya kit. I'm finding it a big hassle to fill those in on the Pit Road Kaga.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:21 am 

Well, I will be building the Tamiya fictional carrier Ibuki DDH-92 with some photos of work in progress. Will try to finish it during the summer. I will be adding a photo-etch set from Artist Hobby, for just this kit, as well as the paint suggestions for the kit.

Mario

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:56 pm 

So, Here we Go!! This is the Tamiya 1/700 (fictional) Ibuki, a fictional DDH of a Japanese comic. Without going into the detail about the comic, I will tell you about the build. The ship/kit Could represent an DDH-143 Izumo-class, it includes a ski ramp + a number of F-35B + SH-60 type aircraft (A/C).

I started by purchasing an Artist Hobby 1/700 PE set, which seems quite appropriate for this kit. This set has quite a bit....especially those vents that you see on ship hulls that are So Poorly reproduced on kits. It also has rails and nets for around the Flight Deck (FD) and a Great set for the A/C.

The paint thou am a little worried about....is there a acrylic paint for these colors?!? I'll use the ones that Tamiya offers and look for a substitute.

Just curious if there is a 'specific paint' for JMSDF like there is for RCN or for USN.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:08 pm 

Maybe my pix Are a Bit BIG...but here are the directions for the Artist Hobby just in case somebody wanted to view them. They show the placement of the vents around the ship, the PE sheet has enough for all ten (10) A/C for the Tamiya kit + helps. There is also a set for accommodation ladders and flag bags...and Cool Beans there are enough ladders for the FD as well as the island!! :cool_2: Getting excited about this PE set. :cool_1:

I going to start with the hull and the small boats as per Tamiya instructions, and replace the kits accom ladders with the PE. It looks pretty nice.. :thumbs_up_1:

Will be using liquid cement for the first time building a model, have been using tube-glue since I was seven (7) :wacko: hopefully this doesn't affect mea n/f a ks tmuch!!

A bit more later

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:44 am 

Well ran into a pretty big problem with the kit....as I was building the back end of 'Ibuki', there is a major fit problem on the aft weapons catwalk...

As I moved the catwalk one way, it got offset on the other side, and vice-versa. So I sanded it down a bit as to fit the aft hull and attached the bulkheads for the weapons platforms.

Also, the tops of those bulkheads of the weapons platforms needed to be sanded and filled and then there is the PE ladder that needs to be attached, so you need to remove the molded one on the aft hull bulkhead.....I hope that is all the 'major' work that I need to do with this kit :Mad_6: At least the accommodation ladders came out pretty well.... :thumbs_up_1: Note: I have not attached the small boats as I need to paint those separate but more important, paint the well where they will be placed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:08 pm 

The reason your platform didn't fit is because you missed the inset diagram of how L and R corner bulkheads are supposed to be located: their ends contact the interior of the hull sides, whereas you have them with their ends forming part of the outside.

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 9.39 MiB | Viewed 4832 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:25 pm 

Hey Timmy C. I assume that is my original photo that you circled? But, I thought I did what the directions said...I'll take a look @ the work so far, but even the platform didn't seem to fit the major aft bulkhead of the ship. But It is already glued and sanded down already.... I do want to mention that I have a HYUGA-class and IZUMO-class of these ships, and they are Not from Tamiya, OR Maybe I just placed the wrong bulkheads together, you know the one port-facing bulkhead with the starboard side aft bulkhead or something.

On-a-different note....Timmy C. it seems my posted photos are TOO Big, is there a way that I should post them, or does it matter??

Thanks for the comment, when I build the other JMSDF DDH's I'll keep in mind your directions for placement.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:47 pm 

Yes, both images are from your post - I just edited them together so it's easier for everyone to view together. In the future, it's always helpful to dryfit pieces before gluing them down: that way, if the pieces don't seem to fit, you can double check you have the right pieces, that they're facing the correct way, and are making contact where they're supposed to.

As for image size, keeping them to under 1200 pixels across would be best for most people's monitors, but it's not something we enforce.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:50 pm 

Ok...trying to place the hull vents onto the ship. Here is what it looks like with a few photos before the PE, as you see it is a typical model ship 'vents'...these are the port side.

Here is the starboard side.

The ladders on the top-most portion of the model will be removed and sanded down for placement of PE ladders....they will give a nice Pop to the ones I tried to work on aft hull work (those didn't come out to well, S-glue went down to quickly :Mad_5: ) might have to replace those with other ladders not with Artist Hobby.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:42 pm 

Here are the PE vents on the starboard side, they do look quite nice, also placed the PE ladders from the FD to the catwalks. I also show the where the ladders On the catwalk, those were simply snipped off, then sanded, Next I placed the catwalk with a little white glue to get the angle of the PE ladder, then S=glued ladder.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:03 pm 

I ALWAYS like placing the PE on weapons systems, especially the CIWS, the photo-etch that I use here are from the 'Flyhawk 1/700 USN Modern Weapon #FH700082'. I just find it kind-a easy getting the barrels rotated from a flat PE to a cylinder set of barrels, it just adds that little bit of detail that I enjoy :cool_1: ....don't know if anybody else does this in 700 scale, but I like to do it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:48 pm 

Placing catwalks with PE ladders, just a short note, 'Artist Hobby' does provide machine guns to be placed around the ship, but they seem quite Tall!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:05 am 

Going to start work on island...this should be my most exciting/challenging part of the model for me. As I look at reference photos on Net, there seems to be quite a bit of railing on mast and 'Artist Hobby' does NOT provide for that. To remedy this, going to spare parts PE and using rails from 'Gold Medal Models', mostly three (3) or two (2) bar rails.

Photos to come.

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:09 pm 

The island is neat little kit in itself, to start you have two (2) 'bridges' a nav bridge and a flt ops bridge, both are detail well, with good recesses for the windows. Artist Hobby has two (2) flag bags, so I trimmed the flag bags off the kit behind the nav bridge. With all the PE I had misplaced my PE bending machine so I had to use a box cutter to fold and get a flat hard edge for ladders and flag bags.

Here is an unaltered nav bridge...

I want to remove the port/starboard ladders at the ends of nav bridge to place PE ladders, but I trimmed and hollowed-out a bit of the harden rail on the starboard side, but now I am running out of the ladders from Artist Hobby...so I have used GMM ladders from some spare PE and used them on aft part of nav bridge and down the main island.

I also started adding doors/hatches around the main island, and even though the stanchion was not place because I wanted to get paint on the nav bridge, so I'll paint that stanchion separately.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 pm 

Here is the Flt bridge... the 'front' and the port side of the island... added some more doors around the port side and 01 level of the island.

Have seen railings onboard the Real Izumi-class vessels on top of their bridges...so I'm putting them on this fictional ship. NOTE: Artist Hobby does not have railings Anywhere on the island, so I'm using a spare GMM railings.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:29 pm 

A few more photos of island...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:00 pm 

Finishing off the island and looking at the mast is Quite a Bit of Work, again Artist Hobby does Not provide the railings for the mast. I also purchased a PE set from Hasagawa for the Pit-Road kit (NOTE: I think that the Hasagawa PE set has a set of instructions for the placement of 'bends' for their rails, but I do not have them...so I looked at another site to see where those PE instructions are so I can try to match My rail bends with the mast of the Hasagawa kit). NOTE 2: Hasagawa PE for DDH Kaga is also a Great set for the Izumi-class, but Does Not have the vents around the hull... so purchase both Artist Hobby and Hasagawa???

Next week the mast....looking forward to it!! I feel more confident about using the PE, then after that...the paint job, still looking for the similiar paints for Tamiya paint cans, I just like to do my own airbrushing.

M

Report this post