The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:38 pm 

Hi everyone,

I am a long-term lurker (like 10ish years) who spent lots of hours watching builds and reading about techniques. So I decided to give one a go and chose a very simple subject (subs are as simple as it gets from an assembly stand-point). The Hobby Boss Typhoon is OK, but has some subtle shape issues with the island and lacks the bridge windows. I had to create the windows with decal strips and it seemed to work OK. I used the tutorial by Jim Baumann to create the water, but deviated from his standard technique to fix errors on my part.....which were many. :)

I want to thank the community for posting all of their WIP threads since they essentially taught me how to make a presentable model of a ship. I'm hoping to do some other projects too, but moving along very slowly since all of these techniques have a bit of a learning curve. Even taking some descent pictures is pretty challenging. Thank you for looking and for teaching. :)

Best,

Nick

Attachments:
IMG_5123_resize.jpg
IMG_5123_resize.jpg [ 370.42 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
IMG_5126_resize.jpg
IMG_5126_resize.jpg [ 385.88 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
IMG_5129_resize.jpg
IMG_5129_resize.jpg [ 385.38 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
IMG_5124_resize.jpg
IMG_5124_resize.jpg [ 357.46 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
IMG_5125_resized.jpg
IMG_5125_resized.jpg [ 373.48 KiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:14 am 

Nick,

Your long-term lurking certainly paid off! :big_grin: :big_grin: Beautiful well built Typhoon! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:26 am 

Very nice!

can you give more details about the techniques employed for the water?

Thanks

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:16 pm 
Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Nick,

Your long-term lurking certainly paid off! :big_grin: :big_grin: Beautiful well built Typhoon! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Thank you for the kind words. :) Much appreciated!

Rom1 wrote:
Very nice!

Thanks

Sure. It is the technique described by Jim Baumann here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37223

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37406

I did a few things different either due to errors on my part of lack of materials. I only had gap-filling CA, but it didn't soak into the paper very uniformly as I'd hoped. This left areas that did not have CA despite my attempts to spread it around didn't quite succeed. This lead to a dreadful appearance when I first started painting the sea, but a few coats of Future floor wax sealed it up and brought back a nice uniform appearance.

I also tried to use gel medium to fill the undersurface of the seascape, but it contracts a fair bit and ultimately accentuated the undulations. I partially remedied it by releasing the paper and propping it in places. I also used gel medium on the surface to fill in places where there was too much difference between peaks and troughs - at least in the area of the wake. The gel medium was also used to create the wake effects.

The surface was painted with humbrol enamels using Jim's recommended techniques, mixing in greys to the base color and blending "wet on wet" to create the foaming sea of the wake. I also applied one last fine layer of gel medium on top of this which was dry brushed white to create a slightly more reticulated appearance to the wake.

Best,

Nick

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:57 pm 

Guest wrote:
Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Nick,

Thank you for the kind words. :) Much appreciated!

Rom1 wrote:
Very nice!

Thanks

Sure. It is the technique described by Jim Baumann here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37223

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37406

I did a few things different either due to errors on my part of lack of materials. I only had gap-filling CA, but it didn't soak into the paper very uniformly as I'd hoped. This left areas that did not have CA despite my attempts to spread it around didn't quite succeed. This lead to a dreadful appearance when I first started painting the sea, but a few coats of Future floor wax sealed it up and brought back a nice uniform appearance.

I also tried to use gel medium to fill the undersurface of the seascape, but it contracts a fair bit and ultimately accentuated the undulations. I partially remedied it by releasing the paper and propping it in places. I also used gel medium on the surface to fill in places where there was too much difference between peaks and troughs - at least in the area of the wake. The gel medium was also used to create the wake effects.

The surface was painted with humbrol enamels using Jim's recommended techniques, mixing in greys to the base color and blending "wet on wet" to create the foaming sea of the wake. I also applied one last fine layer of gel medium on top of this which was dry brushed white to create a slightly more reticulated appearance to the wake.

Best,

Nick

Oops....forgot to login for the above post. :P

-Nick

Report this post