The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fujimi 1/700 Kaga (1942)
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:15 pm 

This is my fourth build and my first aircraft carrier. Got a little too ambitious for my skill level and tried using many aftermarket parts to get that Battle of Midway look, ended up taking took me 6+ months. Plenty of flaws (forgive me on that!) but it was fun nevertheless.

Last edited by baronemperor on Thu May 28, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:28 pm 

To use the [img] tags, you need to link directly to the image, not the page containing the image. Right click the photo, then click "Copy image link" or "Open image in new tab" and copy the URL from there.

Very nice build!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 pm 

Pretty damn nice for your first CV.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:33 am 

One of my favorite IJN carriers! How did you do the brass strips on the linoleum decks?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:58 pm 

gscott wrote:
One of my favorite IJN carriers! How did you do the brass strips on the linoleum decks?

Well...I must confess, I cheated. It's the decals that comes with the set, one of the reasons I went with the Fujimi Easy series. Certainly makes things easier for noobs like me.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:15 pm 

'baronemperor' I like your Kaga....I plan to build one also, but could you tell, at least me, what error(s) there are???? I don't see any, but then I don't build any IJN CV, except the one mentioned, that I will build, could you give me a clue.

Again, I enjoyed your photos!! :thumbs_up_1:

M

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:47 pm 

mmaresm wrote:
'baronemperor' I like your Kaga....I plan to build one also, but could you tell, at least me, what error(s) there are???? I don't see any, but then I don't build any IJN CV, except the one mentioned, that I will build, could you give me a clue.

Again, I enjoyed your photos!! :thumbs_up_1:

M

Thanks, glad to hear that you enjoyed the photos!

Mostly it's problems with my workmanship, especially with the PE parts and rigging. The biggest problem i had was I wrongly used the aftermarket deck from Hasegawa (should have checked before ordering!) and it just doesn't fit right on Fujimi and the wooden deck and decals. I ended up using just the bottom portion of that, using the Shipyard 700034 deck as the top, and finding ways to hide the areas where the Hasegawa deck protrudes, mostly around the island and at the rear.

I don't think there is any photos of Kaga in its final Battle of Midway configuration for reference. I figured much of the details are just guesses that those experts modellers made which I tried to follow as a guide, many of those are just out of my league to do. I skipped the double red-strips on the fuselage of Zeros, which I think the Zero air wing on Kaga has but its just too hard for me to get it right. Apparently in the morning of the battle Kaga launch 9 Zeros and 18 Vals, but how can I not include some Kate bombers with torpedoes on deck?

Good luck with your build! Details don't matter as much as long as you're having fun building it, isn't it? :)

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:25 pm 

"This is my fourth build and my first aircraft carrier."

Well, I remember my first carrier.....it was one of those Monogram kits, with the HUGE Catapults :rolf_3: .

Well, I knew it was not correct, but as you said...."...had fun building it", if I remember I think I painted those catapults yellow!!!! :lol_pound: And those Planes!

Well, when it came to my first PE set I got, I sprayed some 'primer' on the PE and it dissolved/weaken the PE :mad_2: :mad_1: (etc.)......don't remember what primer I used but I strongly remember that PE for a 350 Missouri (WWII fit), just being to useless!!! { I think I could bend that PE with my fingers!! }

The point....don't get upset, just do your best the next time, look at your references (as best as you can) if it does match up ( Because the ship is destroyed, or you're looking at pics of DD-24 [which I don't know what it is] ) using your imagination is the next best thing. :thumbs_up_1: . I plan to do the same fit as yours...Battle of Midway -- Kaga, and having Kates with torps....Hhmmm, might be the reason Kaga is At the Bottom!! :thinking:

I'm SURE, your next build, will be Stellar!! All the best..!! :destroyer:

M

Report this post