The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:23 pm 

Hi! :wave_1: :wave_1:

My last finish is this little coastal defense ship of Thai navy just before WWII.

HTMS Thonburi together with her sister, HTMS Sri Ayutthaya, were the largest naval units Thai navy had until long after WWII. These 2500-tons coastal defense ships were ordered from Japan. They were commissioned in 1938. Thonburi was sunk at the battle of Ko Chang in 1941. Although she was salvaged, the damage was too extensive, making the repair cost uneconomical. She was used as a floating headquarter before being scrapped in the 50's. Fortunately enough, part of her superstructure and fore turret were preserved as a monument. Sri Ayutthaya, on the other hand, enjoyed a relatively quiet career during and after WWII. Unfortunately, she was tragically lost during a failed coup attempt in 1951.

My model depicts Thonburi at mooring after arriving at Ko Chang on 15 January 1941. At that time she served as the flagship of 3rd flotilla, comprising herself, two Trad-class torpedo boats, and two other support vessels. Less than 48 hour later, they were caught at mooring by a French squadron, led by light cruiser Lamotte-Piquet. The surprise was almost complete if not for a French seaplane that attempted to attack the anchorage some 30 minutes before the French ships arrived. This gave Thai a little time to man battle stations but not enough for the torpedo boats to raise enough steam for their turbine. They were first to be engaged by the French who quickly sank them. Thonburi, thanks to her diesel engine, managed to get underway and engaged the French in a running fight. However, Lamotte-Piquet scored a critical hits early in the battle, hitting the bridge and killing the CO and his staff. Soon fire was start and could not be brought under control. With Thonburi retreating to a more shallow water, clearly doom, the French light cruiser could not follow and decided to retreat. Thai navy suffered a heavy loss in her only naval engagement in the modern era. However, they French were barred from their attempts to raid Thai coastal area and thus failed to influence the situation on the land. Possibly as a result of the battle, the Japanese decided to intervene and a peace agreement was reached.

For a long time, only model of Thonburi was a resin kit made by a small Japanese company. The kit was very basic and the level of accuracy reflected the limited information available. Suddenly, in 2020, two Chinese manufacturers decided to release their version of Thonburi in 1/700. My kit is from Seed Hobby, which managed to reach the market a few months before Snowman Model's version. Seed Hobby's Thonburi appears to be fairly accurate. The accompanying PE and turned brass barrels are of good quality. However, it suffers from the lack of detail on the deck. The instruction is clear but their interpretation of some parts are wrong, especially the boat crane. Seed hobby also does not provide search light, ship boats, and capstan. The instruction tells you to find the boats from the waterline series accessory set, but leaves no clue about the other items. It almost feels like they forgot to include them.

I improved the kit as much as I can. I'd say it's about 85% accurate, if you ask me. :big_grin: :big_grin:

I gave it a small water base of calm, blue Gulf of Thailand sea as the final touch.

Comments are welcome.

Nanond

Last edited by Nanond on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:25 pm 

Some WIP pics

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:26 pm 

beautiful build of an interesting ship, well done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:25 pm 

Thats gorgeous! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:16 pm 

EXCELLENT MODEL OF A RARE SUBJECT!!!!

Nice to see a Royal Thai Navy ship (Japanese-built) on this forum.

May I have permission to repost these photos to another forum?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:48 am 

Haijun watcher wrote:
EXCELLENT MODEL OF A RARE SUBJECT!!!!

Nice to see a Royal Thai Navy ship (Japanese-built) on this forum.

May I have permission to repost these photos to another forum?

Thank you. Of course, you can repost the photos:) I'll be happy to see more people enjoying it.

Nanond

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:00 am 

What the hell, thats very cool!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:31 pm 
Impressive little model! Good job.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:46 am 

That's beautiful! Congrats Nanond! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:55 am 

Yes, really beautiful!

The look of Thonburi is really special, because of the obvious similarity to the Myoko class heavy cruisers, but much shorter...

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:43 pm 

@ Nanond: Looks like a very interesting and attractive little model! You mention a Snowman kit. Have you seen any pics of it, or have any opinions?
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:40 am 

Wonderful! I especially like the picture with the lighter alongside - I am not sure who would win.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:52 pm 

marijn van gils wrote:
That's beautiful! Congrats Nanond! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Thank you, Marijn.
maxim wrote:
Yes, really beautiful!

The look of Thonburi is really special, because of the obvious similarity to the Myoko class heavy cruisers, but much shorter...

Yes, it's almost like a super-compact version of IJN CA. :big_grin: :big_grin:
drasticplastic wrote:
@ Nanond: Looks like a very interesting and attractive little model! You mention a Snowman kit. Have you seen any pics of it, or have any opinions?
:wave_1:

Hi, I was fortunate to be able to obtain one of the first batch of Snowman's release. I think the company decided to allocate the whole batch of 200 to a vendor in Thailand. From a quick check, I think Snowman has done a better homework than Seed hobby. Their Thonburi has far better details all around, especially those deck fittings which are non-exist in Seed Hobby's version. There are some notable shortcomings in Snowman's kit however. While all the superstructure pieces are designed to fit into their specific engraved areas on the deck, the superstructure pieces are significantly smaller (by design or it had shrunk more than they expected is not know) than their designed slots. This results in noticeable gaps at the base. I think these gaps can be filled quite easily though. Seed hobby's version doesn't have this problem at all. Actually, the quality of fit is their strong point.

Unmodified, Snowman model's Thonburi will be a better kit right out of the box, with some filling and sanding here and there. The one from the initial release I got is also a better value for money because it comes with a very nice looking nameplate.
While under-detailed, Seed Hobby's version offers a clean base for extra-detailing work.

Christian Reber wrote:
Wonderful! I especially like the picture with the lighter alongside - I am not sure who would win.

:heh: :heh: :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 pm 

I saw the close-ups on Mr. Hobby page (Thai vendor). The hull and deck has much better details than the Seed version. However, I had trouble navigating their order page - there seemed to be no option to change country from Thailand to any other, so maybe it is for domestic sales only. Also difficulties with Translate. Too bad, it seemed to be a very good price. I eventually pre-ordered one from Global Toy...a bit more expensive but at least it's on order.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:22 am 

drasticplastic wrote:
I saw the close-ups on Mr. Hobby page (Thai vendor). The hull and deck has much better details than the Seed version. However, I had trouble navigating their order page - there seemed to be no option to change country from Thailand to any other, so maybe it is for domestic sales only. Also difficulties with Translate. Too bad, it seemed to be a very good price. I eventually pre-ordered one from Global Toy...a bit more expensive but at least it's on order.

Maybe I can help you connect with Mr.Hobby. I sent you an email.

Cheers,
Nanond

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:34 pm 

Thank you, that is very kind of you, but I already ordered one from Global Toys. Nanond is a Thai name (?), is that where you are? And you are acquainted with Mr. Hobby? Good to know, but would have been better last week. :big_grin: Thanks, anyway!
:thumbs_up_1:

Report this post