The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:13 am 

drasticplastic wrote:
Is there a decent plastic 1939 version of Exeter? Would like to pair one with Flyhawk Ajax.
:wave_1:

Sorry, cant help you there as I am not a modeller (although we are just putting the finishing touches to complete 3D fly-around model of - what once was - the wreck of Exeter. :cool_2: )

And on that note, although Richard Durham's model above is exceptionally well put together, something I just noticed - although it takes nothing away from his own build, and maybe it has already been mentioned - is the kit (makers) have missed including one of the circular 'tubs' there aft either side port and starboard of the mainmast 'leg'. :whistle:

If you look at the historical post-refit images below you will see there are two 'tubs' on either side (port and starboard) of the mainmast, whereas the model only has one either side. The missing one is positioned between the one that is there now and the pom-poms, fairly tight in against the leg strut of the mainmast as can be seen in image #3 below.

Attachments:
Mainmast1.jpg
Mainmast1.jpg [ 183.93 KiB | Viewed 391 times ]
Mainmast2.jpg
Mainmast2.jpg [ 49.31 KiB | Viewed 391 times ]
Mainmast3.jpg
Mainmast3.jpg [ 147.25 KiB | Viewed 391 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:20 am 

Just to clarify my above, although the below 'plan' is not to scale nor shows all details, it shows those 'missing' empty 20mm tubs are actually located where Aoshima has the pom-pom director/s, and approximately where those (smaller) director tubs (green dots) should be, that is closer to the mast struts / legs (red dots) than Aoshima has them located on the model (as can be confirmed in historical photo #3 in my previous post).

At little more info on whats what in that general area is supplied by tjstoneman in this other thread;
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10618&start=580#p980322

Attachments:
Approximate tub positions on plan copy.jpg
Approximate tub positions on plan copy.jpg [ 46.87 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:37 pm 

Very nicely done!

Report this post