The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:47 am 

On the above pic there is a molded-on detail near the top of the funnel - in line with the second foot-rail from the top. Is that a poorly defined and molded on steam pipe, or a platform requiring railing?
:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:20 pm 

Drasticplastic, You are right, it is a platform and there is railing for it in the Aoshima photoetch set. I missed it. I don't think that I will go back and add it as I have a bit of hand shake and avoid reaching over any in-place photo etch or detail. Something to add if I build a second Exeter. Thanks.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:39 am 

Added a couple of funnel support wires, should have used two for each funnel. Not trying to replicate the actual funnel support arrangement on the ship, just trying to get the effect. As a friend once told me, “we are building models not replicas.” I try to hide the deck holes for the wires by putting them behind something on the model or adding a random ammo or storage locker in front of them. Also, an aircraft wing hides the poorly repaired broken seam on the aft funnel.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:55 pm 

Rigged the mast supports before installing the masts, unhappy with the kit plastic parts so next time I will use bronze rod. Used photo etch for the anchor chain, surprisingly easy but tiny! Shown in the third picture is my method for maintaining tension on the UNI-Caenis thread during rigging. Finally, the rigging and flag are done, but I don’t like the look of the flag so I think that I will redo it with a smaller flag. The kit flag decals are not useable so I went to the spares box. I also have a spare flag from a Flyhawk kit. All the photo etch has been added and the end is in sight.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 pm 

How do you clip off the ends of the rigging so neat and close to the yard arms? I always get annoying little nubs sticking up! When I use stretched sprue, a drop of liquid glue will eventually melt through (with a bit of encouragement!) and leave a flush surface.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:31 pm 

Really nice, clean work.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:38 am 

Hi Drasticplastic, I use a razor blade to cut the rigging, which is under a little tension during the cut.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:10 pm 

Aoshima photo etch radars attached to bronze rods and then the bronze rods were inserted into the mast tubes. 4.5 inch guns have been glued in place, the brass barrels are from Model Master and worked perfectly. I will add the 8 inch turrets once the model has been attached to the display base as I move the model with a finger or thumb on the turret bases and bottom of ship. Flag has been replace with a smaller one, leftover from a previous Flyhawk build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:17 pm 

Very sharp, clean build!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:00 am 

Lovely build! :thumbs_up_1:

Note though, that if you want to be truely historically faithfull for 1942 then there were no 20mm's in tubs atop either B turret or the aft (X?) turret. If this has been already mentioned, my apologies.

Below pic taken on Exeter at funeral service after Walrus crashed in India Ocean when on way to Singapore late 41 (And both tubs were found empty on her wreck.)

Attachments:
HMS-Exeter-burial-at-sea-copy.jpg
HMS-Exeter-burial-at-sea-copy.jpg [ 95.44 KiB | Viewed 1304 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:58 pm 

To start with, I understand that Exeter likely did not have the 20mm guns in place at time of loss, but I elected not to leave empty holes. The 20mm guns are from the FineMolds Nano Dread series. UNI-Caenis is used for all rigging. For simplicity, I used Tamiya’s Ocean Effects Plate cut to size on a table saw, and then glued to an oak base. The underside of the plate is sprayed with 4 coats of Golden Phthalo Blue and then Tamiya Sky Gray. I gloss coated the top the top of the plate. I always gloss coat my ships to even out the various sheens before I dull coat. The gloss coat also tends to hide a few finishing sins. My gloss coat of choice is Mr. Color UV Cut GX diluted with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. It dries fast and provides a rock-hard coat. If you spay too much, too fast it will lift the paint, so some care is required. I dull coated with Vallejo Satin mixed with a little Vallejo Matte three times over 3 days. The model is attached to the plate using silicon adhesive. This is an easy kit to build and the Aoshima photo etch is easy to work with. From my Navy days, FINEX.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:51 pm 

She came out great. I can move this over to the completed forum, if you'd like.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 pm 

Yes Martin, please move. Thanks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:52 am 

Very nice and clean. Well done! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:42 am 

Agreed, BEAUTIFUL build!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:06 pm 

Wow, exquisitely clean and crisp. That's really nice, Rich.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:31 am 

Really nice job on this one!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:19 pm 

A long-overdue question: If I wanted to build a 1939, Battle of Plate, were there many structural changes? Probably less AA to start with.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:17 am 

drasticplastic wrote:
A long-overdue question: If I wanted to build a 1939, Battle of Plate, were there many structural changes? Probably less AA to start with.

Many changes, only pole masts (not tripods), no HACS, single instead of twin 4", etc, and the list goes on. Much better / easier to start with a 1939 version of the model than try to back-fit a post Plate modification model.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:29 am 

Is there a decent plastic 1939 version of Exeter? Would like to pair one with Flyhawk Ajax.

Report this post