The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:58 pm 

Gents,

The first kit I ever built was February 1968, of the Aurora "German Wolfpack U-Boat". I was 8 years old, and didn't know anything of U-boats or WWII or anything. Later I found out that U-505 was launched on May 25, 1941, and that I was born exactly 18 years later to the day. It's accurate to say that this model really set me onto a lifepath of reading, history, and eventually to a Master of Arts in musicology.

And now, 53 years later, once last time here is the Aurora U-505, and an end. Built OOB, spraypainted with Krylon Matte Charcoal Gray grill paint, drybrushed with ArmyPainter grays and blues and a smidgen of matte white. Rigging is a high-e guitar string.

Attachment:
IMG_5621.jpg
IMG_5621.jpg [ 76.83 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5622.jpg
IMG_5622.jpg [ 64.2 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5623.jpg
IMG_5623.jpg [ 70.02 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5624.jpg
IMG_5624.jpg [ 60.34 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5625.jpg
IMG_5625.jpg [ 69.09 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5626.jpg
IMG_5626.jpg [ 68.69 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_5627.jpg
IMG_5627.jpg [ 56.14 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]

I expect this to be my final build. Weakening eyesight and increasing hand tremors make the precision needed for a good outcome damn near impossible. I can still drive and wash and feed and dress myself, so it's not life-altering, but trying to hold finicky little parts like periscope housings and capstans and antennae with a tweezers is frustrating. And detail painting of the deck hatches and bollards? Hah! I see the exacting builds on this Forum, the incredible level of nuanced detail involved, and say "Okay Davy boy. Enough. You're embarrasing yourself." I realized that a year ago with performing music in church and in concerts. Been a great run, but I have to recognize that the sand in the hourglass empties for us all.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:32 pm 

Hmmm...a "Golden Oldie". I remember that one from the sixties as well. Did anyone ever make an after-market set for it? Probably a moot point as Revell's Type Vll's are probably much more accurate. I can sympathize with your condition - I have a large stash (and am continually adding to it) but need Coke bottle bottoms glasses to see small parts! :cry_3:
:wave_1:

Report this post