The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/700 Goentoer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:13 pm 

"I am Pieter. I have started 10 projects this year and finished only 2."
"Hi Pieter."
This a model of a small liner which I started after finishing a model of her rival Vondel some 5 years ago.
http://shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewto ... 0&t=163755
Ships of the Nederland line and the Rotterdam Lloyd were built to the same specifications as they were subsidized by the dutch government to carry mail, passengers and soldiers to the Indies. Their looks could not be more different though and the Rotterdam based Lloyd ships were usually the more innovative and interesting looking designs. Goentoer and sister Sindoro were a case in point as they were the first dutch tropical liners to have their 1st class passengers amidships, Vondel followed some 6 years later.
Attachment:
firstclass.JPG
firstclass.JPG [ 113.42 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

Like my Vondel built it was a semi-scratchbuild in styrene with a balsa core with a number of parts from a Titanic kit. No welin quadrant davits this time though which saved me a lot of work. Also also like Vondel I was going to take her to ESM in Houten but it was cancelled this year. This did give me some more time so I could design and print my own company flag decal.
Attachment:
rederijvlag.JPG
rederijvlag.JPG [ 163 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

The build itself was quite straightforward but unlike Vondel I did not have access to good plans. The build only took off when I found a small book on the RL in a second hand shop. It was the company history of its first 25 years and it contained some reasonable GA plans.
Attachment:
jubileumboek.JPG
jubileumboek.JPG [ 122.76 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

These became the basis for a carved balsa hull. As luck would have it I found the official lines plan for Sindoro online last week....
This picture shows the GA plans from the book.
Attachment:
Goentoerplans.JPG
Goentoerplans.JPG [ 186.05 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

The build took quite some time as I was being distracted by other projects but once I had cleared the workbench for the ESM deadline she really started to grow on me. This local design (I grew up some 20km away from her place of birth and she was designed by the shipyard) had that really elegant and balanced look which is typical for many liners of the first decade of the 20th century. She had a good sized funnel and mast at a small angle to the vertical, a logical and proportionally 'right' superstructure and a subtle and elegant sheer. The RL seemed to agree as they ordered 8 ships of this design from the Koninklijke Maatschappij de Schelde between 1900 and 1910 though there were small differences in size, machinery and cargo handing equipment.
Attachment:
overview.JPG
overview.JPG [ 105.6 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

Attachment:
linksvoor.JPG
linksvoor.JPG [ 175.7 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

Attachment:
Focsle.JPG
Focsle.JPG [ 154.71 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

Attachment:
poop.JPG
poop.JPG [ 155.39 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

Attachment:
rechtsachter.JPG
rechtsachter.JPG [ 120.26 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

Attachment:
silhouet.JPG
silhouet.JPG [ 56.96 KiB | Viewed 1002 times ]

Last edited by Pieter on Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: 1/700 Goentoer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:02 pm 

Very beautiful! Wish I had your talent!

Wishing you a Happy New Year with plenty of time to create more models!

Regards,
Timothy

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:21 am 

Impressive scratch building!

How did you made the galleries on the superstructure sides? Especially the deck supports?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:23 pm 
Thanks for sharing. Great job! You built a very attractive model. I, myself, would be deterred from ever scratchbuilding an orean liner by all the galleries, portholes, windows, and boats entailed.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:32 pm 

Thanks for the comments.
About the gallery supports. In the 1:1 scale world these are 10cm thick steel profiles with railing running between them. My first attempt on Vondel was to build them in 0,2mm brass and carefully glue photo etch railing in between. This became a mess of misaligned brass and glue spots so I decided to replace them by first placing 0,3mm styrene strips between the decks and after the glue on them had set glue photo etch railing strips to the outside. The result was passable but not as straight as I wanted it to be.
Attachment:
vondel.JPG
vondel.JPG [ 127.59 KiB | Viewed 945 times ]

Attachment:
vondelgalleries.JPG
vondelgalleries.JPG [ 134.42 KiB | Viewed 945 times ]

On Goentoer I would need to align between two decks and I also had lifeboat davits to contend with so I reversed the procedure.
The railings were superglued about .5mm inside the deck edges and carefully aligned vertically: each stanchion on the promenade deck would have a stanchion exactly below on the bridge deck. The 03mm styrene profiles were glued to their corresponding railing sections using drops of white glue and not to the decks overhead or below so I had some wriggle room. The resulting small gaps were filled using paint once the white glue had dried. This went very fast and gave good results I think. I did have some trouble aligning the davits to the outside of the finished galleries though as they only had two small points of contact on the real ship.
Attachment:
lifeboatstanchions.JPG
lifeboatstanchions.JPG [ 74.58 KiB | Viewed 945 times ]

Attachment:
boatdeck.JPG
boatdeck.JPG [ 122.46 KiB | Viewed 945 times ]

The over all result is nicer than the earlier buiid I think. They are still a good match though.
Attachment:
conculegas.JPG
conculegas.JPG [ 151.37 KiB | Viewed 945 times ]

So here you have it. 20 davits, 80 stanchions and one funnel sailing on a trip to nowhere.
Attachment:
nightrun.JPG
nightrun.JPG [ 82.91 KiB | Viewed 945 times ]

Attachment:
uitvolleborstopwegnaarnergens.JPG
uitvolleborstopwegnaarnergens.JPG [ 54.55 KiB | Viewed 945 times ]

Last edited by Pieter on Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:46 pm 

beautiful build, thanks for posting this

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:13 am 

@ Pieter: thank you for the explanation! Where did you got the 0.3mm styrene strips?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:46 am 

Congrats Pieter! Those are pretty complicated projects! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

maxim wrote:
@ Pieter: thank you for the explanation! Where did you got the 0.3mm styrene strips?

Obviously I don't know Pieter's source, but Evergreen makes 0,25 x 0,5 mm strip:

When I want 0,3mm wide strips, I cut them from 0,13 mm (or 0,25mm) thick styrene sheet.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:54 am 

Thanks for the comments, it is nice that people like to look at liners every once in a while. The 0.3mm square strips are made by Plastruct (90709). They are a difficult find and not exactly cheap. I payed 6.55 euros for 10 20cm long strips at the only shop that carried them in Amsterdam. That shop has closed now so I am looking for another source.
maxim wrote:

Last edited by Pieter on Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:04 pm 

Pieter,
Just seen these beautiful models for the first time.

Thanks for continuing to post pics of your merchant ships.

I came across some plans of the dutch east indies ship 'Ophir' in a publication called 'Shipping Wonders of the World' which was published in the 1930s. It is available on line. Check out the 'Merchant Ship Type' section.

I've used the plans from this magazine to build Kurenai Maru #2 and Hyogo Maru and after seeing 'Goentoer I'm inspired to start something similar with a 'japanese' connection (Baikal Maru?).

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:06 pm 

Thanks Jim. I really like what you have been doing with japanese ships over the past decade or so . Any new projects to show? Japan ran very similar looking liners to the US and Europe . Ophir is still on my to-do list but so are many others. Ophir was launched at my local shipyard (everyone needs a local shipyard) while one of my earlier projects, Poelau Laut, was fitting out so...why not? Note the the name ' Ophir' seems to have been very popular at the time. The Orient line, the Rotterdam Lloyd and KPM (the one you just mentioned ) all had Ophirs in service in the same area of the world at the same time and quite a few online references have them mixed up.

Last edited by Pieter on Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:36 pm 

And if you are ever interested in dutch merchant ships that wound up in IJN hands, I have good GA drawings for Tjisaroea and Op ten Noort.

Report this post