The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:00 pm 

These are the two torpedoboats found in the NNT kit in 1:700. They are not bigger then 5cm: the seabase is a disused creditcard-sized ID-card. These ships formed the first Imperial Germany torpedoboat units in 1883. They were armed with two forward firing tubes and a small canon.
The kit is really nice, supplying two small hulls with everything cast in place and a small PE-fret by Eduard, which supplies the guns, railing and navigation lanterns. I used GMM railings, however, and the navigation lights disappeared. Crew is from GMM too. Seabase is tissue soaked with white glue.

Attachments:
t3.JPG
t3.JPG [ 39.83 KiB | Viewed 932 times ]
t4.JPG
t4.JPG [ 59.58 KiB | Viewed 924 times ]
t5.JPG
t5.JPG [ 63.21 KiB | Viewed 932 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:03 pm 

These are now part of a series of creditcard-sized seabases featuring scratchbuild or kit torpedoboats: including this one, the torpedo picket boat supplied with Kombrig's USS Maine. They were never used on the Maine, only for training tasks.

Attachments:
t1.JPG
t1.JPG [ 57.32 KiB | Viewed 940 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:23 am 

Very neat!

The WSW Potemkin kit aslo comes with a very neat little twin funnel Russian TBD

I guess...--if your promise to build it-and show it here

-and send me your land address--I might send it to you!!

:wave_1: :wave_1: JIM BAUMANN

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:57 am 

Nice going Michel.

I built the Russian TB Jim is talking about - oddly enough I've not got round to building the WSW Potemkin yet.

Rob

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:37 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

In fact, the russian torpedo boat in the WSW kit accompanied the Potemkin in her revolt.

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:53 am 

PetrOs wrote:
In fact, the russian torpedo boat in the WSW kit accompanied the Potemkin in her revolt.

Well she tried to run first after a few of the Potemkin officers escaped to her but Potemkin put a QF round through one of her stacks (if I remember correctly) and then she joined the revolt....

Did she have a name? All I seem to remember is Torpedo Boat 18 but its been so long since I read about Potemkin that I could be way off on all of this.....

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:39 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

I think she was called Torpedo Boat Nr. 267. At that time most of the small TBs had no own names in the russian navy, only the new larger destroyers received them.

1:350 HMS Diana 1794 - nearly released
Further kits in preparation.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:16 pm 

That sounds about right. I suspected I had the number wrong. Like I said its been a long time since I read Hough's book on the Potemkin. Good Book though.

I can't convince myself the Red Mutiny which recently came out is worth the read.

1/700 scale TB's are a little small for me but I have been wanting to pick up both Wiener Modelbau Austro-Hungarian TB in 1/350 and the Flagship Models USS Winslow in 1/192. I like the way the old TB's and TB Destroyers looked.

BTW Michel if I have not said so already, very nice work. . Was USS Maine conceived similar to Ting Yuen as far as the "picket torpedo boats" were concerned?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:02 pm 

Zach P. wrote:
BTW Michel if I have not said so already, very nice work. . Was USS Maine conceived similar to Ting Yuen as far as the "picket torpedo boats" were concerned?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about Ting Yuen (the one recently rebuilt right?), but Maine was to carry two 62-foot torpedoboats, with a 18" tube and a 1pdr gun, for added protection and offensive capacities, but close to the mothership; they had no berths of mess facilities. Only one boat was actually built, but never managed to get more then 12 knots of speed. Deemed unsatisfactory, she was used at the Newport Naval Torpedo Station as a training vessel.(from Reilly and Scheina's American Battleships) Kombrig supplies two of them, and nicely done, too. Cute as a kitten.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:26 am 

Ting Yuen's picket boats were never considered part of her armament. Like the sailing rig they were on board for the trip from Germany to China. They were used elsewhere. Not a strange idea as these small vessels would only have been useful in harbor defence like situations; putting these very unseaworthy torpedo boats into the sea and actually using them was probably only realistic in the Mediterranean, where the only purpose built torpedo boat carriers were used.

Report this post