The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HMCS Bonaventure
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:13 pm 

Excellent build Ryan, I love it.

Maarten Schonfeld wrote:
I have also studied some years ago the option of creating a complete conversion kit for the Bonnie/Maggie, including those Banshees, but apparently there was too little interest winthin the Canadese market for such a kit.

I hope that the situation changes, I have been hoping for such a set for a long time.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:46 am 

Dave Rowe wrote:

Maarten Schonfeld wrote:
I have also studied some years ago the option of creating a complete conversion kit for the Bonnie/Maggie, including those Banshees, but apparently there was too little interest winthin the Canadese market for such a kit.

I hope that the situation changes, I have been hoping for such a set for a long time.

Yes please!
That was my first thought when I looked at the Karel Doorman kit - why there is no such kit for HMCS Bonaventure.
Maybe Darren (The Resin Shipyard) can produce one....

Val

- Heller (kitbash) BB-CV HMS Lion Hybrid

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:47 pm 

In 1/700 I'd be interested, hopefully not in resin - for the Bonnie, Resin would be somewhat expensive. I'd be building her with Scooters on deck (duh) and other aircraft.

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:30 pm 

Greetings!

Let me also add my very sincere interest in a conversion to create the Bonaventure. I have been fortunate enough to obtain the KAREL DOORMAN, a beautiful kit indeed. I recently became aware of an even earlier version of the KAREL DOORMAN, circa 1954, and also obtained that kit. The aircraft on this kit are works of art! Thank you for providing such great carrier models! I do hope that one day you might consider adding the BONNIE to the list of carrier models. As I particularly favor 1/400 scale, a conversion of the Heller COLOSSUS kit would be perfect.

Cheers!

Joe Reyna (shipwright)

Maarten Schonfeld wrote:
Hi,

Very nice built! You have attracted my admiration.

I suppose you borrowed the S2F Trackers from the Dutch MW-Models kit of Hr.Ms. Karel Doorman (Dutch Navy ex HMS Venerable)? I had the pleasure of making the masters for these Trackers, the rest of this kit being a nice conversion to the Heller Arromanches, along similar lines as the Bonnie.

Regards,
Maarten Schönfeld

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:13 pm 

That is a great model Ryan. I have had the chance of getting the Karel Doorman kit on EBay a few years back in the hope of doing the Bonnie in the 1967 configuration were the two front guns have been taken out and with the new radar antenna.

Congratulation again Ryan great work, would like to be in touch you with to exchange info on the Bonnie (Pictures, documents etc) and pick your brain on your techniques.
I am also helping friends in Ottawa for historical research. Also if anyone have pictures of the Bonnie that they would like to share drop me a line.

Robert St-Pierre

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:09 am 
When I found this post, I almost cried. My father , who has passed away Feb. 2008, sailed apone the Bonny, had spoke fondly of her and her sister ship the Maggy. Thank you for posting the pic's of this wonderful model. I'm memorandum of Petty Officer Jack Marsden.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:42 pm 

So Murphys Law strikes once you spend all that time mostly scratchbuilding something that you never thought would become available and so it turns out Darren/Fred at Resinshipyard have aquired the Modified Majestic hull master from Ozmods and will be completeing it for Bonnie and RAN Sydney/Melbourne,all in 1/350(oh the Banshees I have always wanted).Big chunk of resin, but worth it.Should be available in the next year or two.Worth the wait if its anything like their other releases. :thumbs_up_1: :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:05 am 

True, but you did an excellent job Ryan :cool_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:02 am 

Bonaventure?

I haven't heard about it, I must go to see more informations.
In the world has millions differents ships! :big_grin:

Very good job, Ryan!

Joe

1:350 HMS Ark Royal in progress
1:350 HMS Legion in progess
1:350 Type VIIC U-81 in planning

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:20 pm 

It was a treat to see her in person yesterday at the IPMS Vancouver show! It won Best Canadian Navy and Best Canadian subject, IIRC.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:27 pm 
My Dad, Lyle Harper, served on the Bonaventure (and the Magnificent). I'm checking out website for both.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:56 am 

Awesome work

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:04 pm 

Hello Ryan, must say I was amazed at your "bonnie" and even more so when I received the Colossus kit I ordered and saw what you had done. I have no idea of where to even begin. I initially thought I'd just throw in the towel but that is not my style. Could I impose on you to offer a few pointers as to what materials I need to build the angle and other material needs as well as some thoughts on where to start. I have the Bonnie book by A. Snowie and photos and some recollections from when I served on her. If you can offer anything I sure would appreciate it. Thanks and Merry Christmas, Don

Report this post
 Post subject: HMCS Bonaventure
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:02 pm 

Hi Ryan

Beautiful work, and your model brings tears to my eyes to see her too. My father was XO of Bonnie, and I remember walking her flight deck and being amazed at her size. To me she was incredibly huge, and with so much to see on the hanger deck, STUF's, and Seaking's... a brilliant time.

Thank you for bringing her back to life, I look forward to seeing the resin kit! I'll post some pics of his Sea Fury from Magnificent.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:44 am 

Splendid! Simply splendid!
:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
Guido

Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth. - H. IBSEN

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8zhb1sc4Pe3BRLqq3d-SQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:34 pm 
Bad Trader
Bad Trader

im wondering if you used pe with the aircraftcarrier ? :wave_1:

fear of losing it.

==================
gerry m.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:11 pm 

Add another voice for requests for Bonnie/Maggie conversions, possibly the Warrior as well.

Dave...

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:23 pm 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZugRcxEUzfU
cheers
tower

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:41 pm 
Paul O'Reilly wrote:
Ryan,

Alas, I only had one flight from her deck - one cat shot! I had just got to the squadron and had just started the OTU when they took all us new guys to sea in B We onaventure to watch what was to be the last CARQUAL session. We watched for five days whilst everyone and his dog, except us, got a shot at the deck. Then, on the last day, they said we could all go up for a flight. We climbed into our assigned aircraft to join the pilot, props already turning, and his instructions were very brief "Sit down, strap in, don't say anything, don't touch anything and for Christ's sake don't wave at anyone or anything". On the cat stroke the low fuel lights came on so with a deckload of aircraft behind us we headed for the beach (Shearwater). The ship then went on her last operational deployment and I finished my conversion course. In December 1969 Bonaventure returned and I had graduated from my training and we all flew out to join her for her final sailpast. Twenty-three Trackers flew overhead her as she tied up for the last time and I was Number 19! That was the biggest formation I was ever in. At least I got to see what a B-17 formation must have looked like!

Two small details on your model need comment. The screws are reversed left and right. Looking forward from a point astern of the ship, the starboard screw rotates clockwise and the port screw rotates counter-clockwise. This eliminates mutual interference as the highest blades "throw" their water away from the hull (and the other prop). The other point is the orientation of the props on the Trackers. Once the engines are shut down the props are "dressed" (positioned) such that one blade is parallel to the deck and pointed directly at the fuselage. This makes the aircraft narrower. Otherwise, should a blade be pointed directly outboard the aircraft would be wider and possibly hit something on the elevator or in the hangar. However, aircraft left on deck (there would normally be six left on deck) may have the props left undressed if they were on alert or awaiting a short turn around.

Great model though. Your usual superb workmanship. I guess if I ever have to compete with you I'll have hire a hit man!! <g>

Paul

im going to at some point build this ship. i have the kit and the pe also the decals made by a company here in canada all im wating on are aircraft . i never seen the banshee aircraft on here just the s2 trackers i seen i would like to build it with the banshee
aircraft.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:36 pm 

Bonnie carried Banshees from 1957 to about 1961. She was too small to carry the required numbers of Trackers (12) Sea Kings (6) Banshees (6 I think) and HO4S (2). Also the catapult was too weak to launch a Banshee with a full fuel load. They were restricted to flights without their tip-tanks.

Paul

Report this post