The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:56 am 

Hey, guys!

I just want to kick off this thread to get some feedback. I won't be doing this model this year, but it's something I have been thinking about for a long, long time, and only recently it came into a possibility for me.

One of the first real adult books I ever read was The Hunt for Red October. That book exposed me to the Typhoon-class. While I read that book I studied every picture of the Typhoons I possibly could. I drew pictures of what the Red October was supposed to look like and all that.

I loved the sub from the book but not so much the movie. I saw a completed Revell Red October once I went into a model shop in Austin Texas. I thought it was so cool with the towed sonar on top of the rudder and the detail of the anechoic tiles, but I realized that it was a repackage of a normal Typhoon. It didn't have enough missile hatches, 20 instead of 26, the detailing was way over detailed and way inaccurate to the real Typhoons of any kind, and it did not have the intakes and exhaust of the silent propulsion drive, etc.

Sean Haley's Typoon projects:

...then I came across the Alanger Typhoon...what sweet possibilities opened to me. It looks to be such a master piece that it's a shame they are not produced any more. Dragon or someone should consider buying the rights to the model and start reproducing the kits. They captured the unique shape to the missile hatches, too, and that's really cool.

Andrea De Bonis' Alanger:

I was poking around on the net, I came across the Revell Red October on ebay, and though, "oh, this POS again," but then I saw it was only $15.99! Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?! There were multiple kits for $15.99! A POS is worth $15.99!!! Suddenly all those alterations I had in mind to make an accurate Red October flipped from "forget it" to "feasible". So I bought 3 of them. Easy day.

One of the 3 Revel kits arrived today. I opened it, and it's a LOT cooler than I remembered. So, it seems that I will be able to build the Red October of my dreams for not too much money. How awesome is that?!

My questions to the Typhoon guys out there:

What paint scheme should I use? The black on top and red on bottom, black on top, grey on bottom, etc.

Should I enclose the propellers in the shrouds?

Thanks, guys! I really look forward to what you have to say. This will be a nice project for next year. It should be a fun, reasonably simple build.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:25 am 

:wave_1: I have received both the Revell 1/400 Red October and the 1/350 Alanger Typhoon in the mail.

The Alanger Typhoon is really neat. Its real quality is in its main missile deck; the hatches are all shaped correctly. The stern is far more accurate with the shrouded propellers and the underside rudder pushed far further aft than what comes on either the Revell Typhoon/Red October kits or the Dragon Typhoon kit. Like many have said, the rest of the submarine is very under detailed, but that can be fixed with additional effort.

With the "1/400" Revell kit, I have to say that it's actually 1/350. Measuring the kit out, it's all wrong. The closest thing is its beam and height. Its beam is actually with 1/2mm of 1/350 which means a few feet. It's height is right on. However, the length is several inches short. So, to make this kit an accurate Typhoon much less an even longer Red October one would have to lengthen it by 9 and 13 centimeters respectively.

After seeing both of these kits in person, I think that due to cost of the Alanger kit, the best thing to do is to lengthen the Revel Red October kit to match the dimensions indicated by Tom Clancy. This means modifying the Revel kit to be:
1. the length of a real Typhoon,
2. pushing that dimension to that of the Red October,
3. accuratizing the hull details (anecoectic tiles),
4. reducing the number of torpedo tubes from 8 to 6.
5. enclosing the propellers in shrouds.

In this case we will see what I can do with the 1/400 (which is really a short 1/350) version of the Typhoon-class.

I placed an order for 2 more Revell Red October kits. With those I plan to put plugs out of one of them to lengthen the original kit by lengthen the reator compartments and the missile compartments with pieces from another kit.

However, if one had all kinds of money, they would use 2 Alanger kits to make a Red October. :big_grin:

I look forward to posting any pictures of the conversion! :heh:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:59 pm 

This looks like a fun project that should go quickly.

Have fun with it!

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:11 am 

Bill Liebold wrote:

Have fun with it!

Bill

Thank you, Bill! Someday it will. I have a number of things to get done before hand for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:24 am 

Bill Liebold wrote:

Have fun with it!

Bill
I think with the 1/400 model I will have to cut the missile deck out and replace it with a scratch built deck with the correct number of correctly shaped missile hatches (26). With that I would like to open a few of the missile hatches. I would have to extend the hull quite a bit, and move the sail forward. I will have to heavily modify the stern, gluing and puddying the stern elevator straight out, building shrouds around the screws, and building rudders in line just behind the screws. The stern rudder will have to be cut in half so the top rudder can stay where it is, and the bottom rudder can move further back aft. I think I will also have to scratch the escape hatches.

The idea here is to reflect what Tom Clancy described as opposed to what the movie showed. Clancy said it was a 26 missile Typhoon with a rudder mounted towed sonar array.

Some day, if the price comes down, I would like to build one of these with the Alanger kits.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 am 

Last edited by carr on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 pm 

carr wrote:
Another project?!? We can't help you until you admit you have a problem. I think it's time for a forum intervention! :heh:

Lol, at least this is a some-day project.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:36 am 
navydavesof wrote:
:wave_1: I have received both the Revell 1/400 Red October and the 1/350 Alanger Typhoon in the mail.

The Alanger Typhoon is really neat. Its real quality is in its main missile deck; the hatches are all shaped correctly. The stern is far more accurate with the shrouded propellers and the underside rudder pushed far further aft than what comes on either the Revell Typhoon/Red October kits or the Dragon Typhoon kit. Like many have said, the rest of the submarine is very under detailed, but that can be fixed with additional effort.

With the "1/400" Revell kit, I have to say that it's actually 1/350. Measuring the kit out, it's all wrong. The closest thing is its beam and height. Its beam is actually with 1/2mm of 1/350 which means a few feet. It's height is right on. However, the length is several inches short. So, to make this kit an accurate Typhoon much less an even longer Red October one would have to lengthen it by 9 and 13 centimeters respectively.

After seeing both of these kits in person, I think that due to cost of the Alanger kit, the best thing to do is to lengthen the Revel Red October kit to match the dimensions indicated by Tom Clancy. This means modifying the Revel kit to be:
1. the length of a real Typhoon,
2. pushing that dimension to that of the Red October,
3. accuratizing the hull details (anecoectic tiles),
4. reducing the number of torpedo tubes from 8 to 6.
5. enclosing the propellers in shrouds.

In this case we will see what I can do with the 1/400 (which is really a short 1/350) version of the Typhoon-class.

I placed an order for 2 more Revell Red October kits. With those I plan to put plugs out of one of them to lengthen the original kit by lengthen the reator compartments and the missile compartments with pieces from another kit.

However, if one had all kinds of money, they would use 2 Alanger kits to make a Red October. :big_grin:

I look forward to posting any pictures of the conversion! :heh:

hi navydavesof, I'm thinking achieving the same goal as you in relation to accurately sculpting Clancy's sub. have you started on it yet?