The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hybrid Iowa Designs
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:01 pm 

Good day,
I know this topic has been done by Rusty White and his interpretation of Howard Pulver's design is a classic. So here is the hybrid design that rusty used along with paper design for light CV using an Iowa hull. This design was later changed the Independence class CVL using a Cleveland class CL hull. So here is my questions.
1. What would pulver's design look like post 90's would it get the weapons and sensor of an LHD?
2. Would the flight deck be adjusted to accommodate more helo's?
3. We know that blast wave from the 16 inch guns when fired would cause issues with the aircraft parked on deck. So would another elevator in the stern be need to move them from the shelter of the hangar deck after NGFS Ops.
4. Would Number 2 Turret be replaced with a VLS system?
As for the BB CV design:
Let just start off with they built one using the hull of IL, The ship saw action in Korea and was moth balled till they re-activated the other Iowa's what updated would you do? Would this be a strike carrier? Special Ops platform. What weapons would be added? what sensors would added.
Thanks as always
Major-B :thumbs_up_1:

Attachments:
pulver_design_small.JPG
pulver_design_small.JPG [ 8.86 KiB | Viewed 1058 times ]
Iowa Class CV.jpg
Iowa Class CV.jpg [ 6.49 KiB | Viewed 1058 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Hybrid Iowa Designs
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:31 am 

Always a fun project to play with.

Good references to Rusty's version:

http://steelnavy.com/TinianRWhite.htm

http://www.ipmsusa.org/reviews/features ... ersion.htm

1 and 2:

If done in the 90's, I see changes to match the designs of the time. I see the elimination of ABLs in favor of VLS and an alteration of the flightdeck as two of the larger visual changes.

VLS between the stack seems a no-brainer, and examples of this fit are in the Iowa modification thread.

Flight deck: The cut-outs for Sea Sparrow aft I think would go, and a narrow enclosed elevator is limiting. The question becomes, what aircraft would it be intended to operate and what is a contemporary to base the design philosophy on?

To be blunt - What I see aft is possibly a 'graft' of the Wasp class LHD from forward of the LHD's Port elevator, placed starting aft of the Iowa's after stack.

Depth of the graft would be to match the hangar deck to the BB deck level, or, if weight allows and height is needed, have 'transition deck' between the BB fantail and the hangar deck level - could be shops or berthing. Essentially, this lifts the LHD hangar area with its flight deck above into the Iowa hull replacing the aft 16" and the fantail.

Positives: Contemporary (active 1990's) design. Includes self defense (Seasparrow and CIWS aft). No really new parts to the USN inventory.

Concerns: size of the elevators and their distance from the surface. Not able to use the direct fore-aft line for reference and rolling VSTOL takeoff (possible to 'cant' that line off centerline for clearance).

So, now I have to go home and measure....but the two classes are similar in size, so eyeballing should provide a pretty close approximation.

3. Would limiting the 16" to fire within the forward 180 degrees while aircraft are on deck be sufficient protection from blast? I don't know the answer to this - maybe someone else does. A "Palisade" which could be erected (similar to a blast deflector on a catapult) on the forward end of the flight deck might be another option.

4. Loos like #2 could be retained in this format. VLS cells can be had many places, 16" guns can only be had aboard these ships - I'd retain two turrets if possible (turret #3 goes ashore - one as a trainer, the other three as rotational backup mounts - similar to the way the British used a 'pool' of 15" twins on their BBs)

Edit to add rough, hacked together pic to illustrate concept:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:27 am 

Thanks.
I was planning on doing this in 1/350. But I have a 1/700 Iowa class in my stash now I just need a 1/700 LHD.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:56 pm 

I have been looking at the deck redesign, thanks a lot it looks really good. Also I have looked at the Updated thread for the Iowa's have a good idea for VLS. As far as what platforms would be deployed. I really think this is ship would be like a big dog scare the brown stuff out of you. It would have the NGFS role with the Main Guns, then hit them with tomahawks. The other VLS cells would be for AAW defense.
As for what aircraft I think the deck would be a little short for Harriers. But it would be great for Spec OPS (CH-53), Osprey, and Cobras, along with SH-60's and maybe a few UH-1N. Also I am thinking it would need the Auto 25mm guns, and NULKA Launchers as well as additional harpoons may be four sets on each side.
This is one of my favorite projects

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:10 pm 

A door kicker.

Tomahawks from distance with improved Sabot rounds of long range out of the 16" guns, rolling the opponents off the shore to open it for an amphib assault.

When this platform goes closer in, it is to gain reach farther inland with NGFS - at that point, I would see it as a SAR helo station and a home for the Cobras - they can reload and refuel without going all the way out to the LHD/LHA - thus be back in supporting the Mud Puppies that much faster.

Easily a first stop for any aviation experiencing problems (battle damage/critical fuel).

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:53 pm 

So lets this get project started.
so in 1/700
I have a trumpeter iowa class bb I think the Missouri circa 1983.
Which LHD kit from hobbyboss
Upgrades for Harpoons, CIWS, RHIB,
Wood deck for the deck around the forward gun mounts, and bridge area.
Aircraft: Cobras, Sh-60's. and Osprey, and UH-1N.
as well as the domes and radars from LHD.
Question when I convert this to 1/350
I have two Wasp and new jerseys. But was thinking of going with the 1991 tamyia kit instead. Plus I have the Pontos Wisconsin detail set.