The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1/350 Thru Deck Crusier
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:19 pm 

Good day,
During some recent down time I was searching the great internet for a total different subject. When I came across this blast from the past. I believe this drawing was part of an article that was published in the mid/late 70's. Again a crude drawing but you get the basic idea. Any thoughts of what to use for a hull? I am thinking of something about the length and width of BB a Mass or Alabama. But then we have everyone favorite ship to use the good old Spruance hull. As for the island their is no question the LHD would be the template. Perfect in size and has all the electronics. I think this project would be a nice build in 1/700.

Attachments:
NewCapitalShip1978-2.jpg
NewCapitalShip1978-2.jpg [ 82.94 KiB | Viewed 3702 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:15 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

That is so cool.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:15 pm 

What happened was the deck kept getting bigger. It grew in to the Spanish Navy's Príncipe de Asturias.

Should make a nice model. The mast and foremast both look like baseline 0 Ticonderoga class mast coseed with the mast on the oliver hazard perry class.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:53 pm 

Great! I look forward to seeing this project!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:38 pm 

Been re-thinking this build with the release of the Alaska class
and Rusty White build. The problem is the side elevator. I am going to have the elevator midline on the stern like the LHA had. So which hull to start with?
1. Spruance
2. Alaska
3. De Moines

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:03 pm 

Found another design.

Attachments:
GrummanSantaFeSpruance-Small.gif
GrummanSantaFeSpruance-Small.gif [ 26.84 KiB | Viewed 3275 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:34 pm 

MAJOR-B wrote:
Been re-thinking this build with the release of the Alaska class
and Rusty White build. The problem is the side elevator. I am going to have the elevator midline on the stern like the LHA had. So which hull to start with?
1. Spruance
2. Alaska
3. De Moines

I like your direction, Major! The Alaska is out now! You can make a CBH without a lot of effort! I would lie to suggest 2 versions. One is replace the super structure aft of the stack and build a flight deck on the main deck with a large helo hangar like the Spruance DDH USS Hayler. The helo deck could be large enough to have 2 landing spots with the rest of the room for helo hangar.

The second could be the Tinian style (Rusty White) elevated deck with the larger hangar. Seasick made a pretty good analogy that provides a good look for how the stern of how the elevated deck and hangar could look!
The stern in this scenario could be set for a Sea Sparrow launcher or other close-in weapon system!

The electronics could be that of a Kidd or an LHD. VLS could be amidships in place of the ex-aircraft hangars. There are great after market bits and pieces out there from Veteran Models and Shapways that could really make this project work well!

Man, you have an awesome potential project here!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 pm 

Thanks
David as always you hit the target.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:35 pm 

MAJOR-B wrote:
Thanks
David as always you hit the target.....

Fascinating! What is your path forward? What hull are you looking at using and what era?

Last edited by navydavesof on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:08 pm 

You can also justify shooting 8"'rounds through the 12" guns out to 100 nmiles. Perhaps they could reach further.

That would also begin to out range/directly support any helo operations you're looking at. It would only be a question of time of flight until the rounds landed on target.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:15 pm 

David
My initial thoughts where to do one late 70's and one early 00's. I was planning on using the USS Hawaii kit that was pending. But the Alaska will do and as designed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:48 pm 

Let start this project with unfinished hull of one the Alaska class. Keep the forward batteries as built but redo the superstructure. I can not find the design I had saved. Which they made a flight deck to hull added an Essex class island circa Korean War. My other thought was to do a modern version with a LHD type island a flight deck with some harriers and cobras for fire support.. not sure about the fire control for the main batteries.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:55 am 

MAJOR-B wrote:
Let start this project with unfinished hull of one the Alaska class. Keep the forward batteries as built but redo the superstructure. I can not find the design I had saved. Which they made a flight deck to hull added an Essex class island circa Korean War. My other thought was to do a modern version with a LHD type island a flight deck with some harriers and cobras for fire support.. not sure about the fire control for the main batteries.
The Alaska is an awesome base to start on! I believe the super structure should be reworked from the stack back. The forward AAW batteries (just aft of Mts 51 and 52) could be replaced with the Newport News style flag facilities. The 5" guns could all be replaced with Mk42 guns (because the ship would likely have been reactivated and converted in the mid to late 1970s) and then all of the rest of the modifications done; flight deck, control tower, elevator(s), etc.

Concerning the GFCS, what era are you looking at?