The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:40 pm 

Bob, why are you such a jerk towards other people? It really is disrespectful to Dave's thread when you act like you are superior to others in such a churlish and immature way.

You accuse others of pointless arguing, and can't even get the facts correct while you demean them in public.
You call others childish, yet you try and bully them to stick to some random set of rules you've made up regarding what a discussion is.
You think you're always right, yet accuse others of acting that way.

At first, I thought maybe it was me, but after seeing how you talk to others, I realize the problem is you.

You need to be called out every time you display boorish behavior, until you change your ways.

BTW, Grownups aren't threatened by challenges to their ideas as long as they are well thought out and defensible. Hmmm, might even be a discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:01 am 

Last edited by carr on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 am 

Last edited by carr on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

carr wrote:
Admhawk, I'm going to extend you the courtesy of one free pass while I wait to see if the moderators deal with you.

Bob you should be more concerned about how we deal with you. It looks to me like the insults began with you. So I'm going to extend you the courtesy of one free pass while I wait and see if you can learn to play nice with others.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:40 pm 

Since I have the hull I want to use, I now have to make it meet the requirements I need. I will have to lengthen it by 2.5" and widen it by .5" The lengthening will be the challenge. Keeping it together and consistent will be the real work. The main deck will be the first real set of work, and then building up the torpedo bulge will be the next! Goodness!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 am 

David,
DavidP wrote:
what is your base model & is it a 2 piece hull split vertically or horizontally?

It’s the 1/350 Kirov hull. I will cut it into 3 pieces. The first piece will be across the middle abeam with a cut about 1/2 the length toward the bow without bicecting it. The stern will be cut in half down the keel making two pieces. Then I will be able to widen the ship with ease and lengthen it with a little effort and careful reassembly.

The next thing after that will be tackling the main deck with helo hangars, stern notch, and stern boat deck.
:woo_hoo:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:56 am 

In my off time, I have been working on how I will work this hull. The length and width dimensions, I know, but the method is a little shaky. I think I will run an exacto knife down the keel and split the hull. Then I will saw it down the beam to then insert a plug. After the plug, I will work the Littorio-style layered armor belt and then the real challenge: The torpedo blister! :scratch:

Unlike my previous builds, I will finish the hull before I begin with the super structure.

How do some of you guys suggest Ii make a torpedo blister? Thanks so much for the inputs! :heh:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:53 pm 

Depending on how complex it is, you could get some dense foam, like the pink or blue insulation at the hardware store, carve to shape and skin with 10 thou styrene.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:00 am 

DavidP wrote:
how much does the blisters widen the model...
The blisters will only reach out slightly wider than the deck edge. Because the base hull angles inward from the waterline, I will need more material on the sides down to the bottom. I'm going to wind up making her a flat bottom ship like other battleships, so there will be a lot of modifying!

I like the foam idea. I will have to get some and try it out. First, I need to sand the sides smooth, then lengthen and widen her.

Thanks for the input!

-Dave :big_grin:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:34 pm 

I have a kit in hand. I have begun assembling. I have cut the hull, and I am cutting the plugs to lengthen it. This will be great.
Stand by to get some. :woo_hoo:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:53 pm 

Admhawk wrote:
I still like my idea,

Amoung all the comments i red down below this pic, no-one has ever considered that stability matters are to be primary in this
condition: turrets are heavy and ammunition compartments too. Additionally to so, the ship's is not large enough to support a proper stability that's why, when even a merchant vessel is enlonged, width compensation factor need to be applied by constrcting a floatong belt
along the floating plan. Without this, the vessel may capsize even when touching the water for the first time after launching.
This happened even with sailing man-of-war wasa, check it out on the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:25 pm 

SeaMasterMax wrote:
Amoung all the comments i red down below this pic, no-one has ever considered that stability matters are to be primary in this
condition: turrets are heavy and ammunition compartments too. Additionally to so, the ship's is not large enough to support a proper stability that's why, when even a merchant vessel is enlonged, width compensation factor need to be applied by constrcting a floatong belt
along the floating plan. Without this, the vessel may capsize even when touching the water for the first time after launching.
This happened even with sailing man-of-war wasa, check it out on the internet.

Certainly understood. The dimensions of mine would be approximately 900'x106' and draw approximately 32'; nothing like SeaMasterMax's sketch-up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:07 pm 

Here is the question:

Should it be a modernized Iowa with helo capabilities?

Should it be a Montana with helo capabilities?