The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:41 pm 

Seasick wrote:
I was considering this as a theoretical build. The non-VLS ships would be refit @1999 as fire support assets. First go to an upgraded version Mk86 fire gontrol system. Rebuild the the ship with a new foremast and mainmast. Both would be patterned after the Arleigh Burke class's mast. Stick the AN/SPQ-9B at the same elevation as the lower surface search on the Burke like foremast. On the mainmast place the AN/SPS-49(V) near the top. The AN/SPS-49 is much lighter than a AN/SPS-48 and can go up fairly high. Keep the Mk23 target acquisition radar about a third of the way up the mast. The Mk23 TAS radar has been used to find surface targets as well as air targets. Take the Sea Sparrow launcher and put it in your spares box, fit a Mk49 RAM launcher in its place. Take the Phalanx guns and build platforms to situate them like they are on the Ticonderoga class. Build extentions to the platforms with the launches on them. Replace the boats with rigid hull inflatable boats. On the extensions build bipod mounting points for M2 0.50cal machine guns. The Harpoon launchers should be moved forward and mounted like they were on the Virginia class CGN. The former location of the bow Phalanx should become the location of the forward Mk49 RAM launcher. A platform for a Mk38 mod2 gun between the Harpoon and the forward Mk45 mod4 gun. Be sure the Mk38 mod2 is able to turn 360 without hitting anything. The magazine for the forward Mk45 mod4 127mm/62 is going to be expanded forward to increase the amount of ammunition. On the stern replace the 127mm/54 with the Mk110 57mm gun. The location of the gun there will give it a wide arc of fire and reduce the weight on the quarterdeck so that you could increase the size of the hanger and flight deck if you want to do that. The quarter deck could have a launch and recovery for SEAL team zodiac boats (or whatever they call them today.
I’ve spent several days thinking about this, taking all of this into consideration, and I am kind of confused. Why do you want to introduce a bunch of single-point failures into a design that does not have any? As the Spruances are they are about 100% reliable. Instead you seem to want to make them unreliable.

If you want to have a NSFS ship, why do you want to reduce its fire support capability by ½, reduce its available magazine capacity, and reduce it to a single gun which can fail and terminate the entire capability simply to add a single Mk110 to the ship?

The only way 5" is good for fire support is to have a very high volume of fire, and in order for the 5" to cross the line of effectiveness you have to be delivering at least 40-50 rounds per minute. By reducing the 5" mounts from 2 to 1 you no longer even approach adequate volume of fire.

So by sacrificing 1/2 of your fire support capability just so you can add single Mk110 57mm gun you reduce your fire support capability and add a single point of failure anti-small boat capability. So, you have taken one reliable capability and turned it into two unreliable capabilities. Instead I suggest you can retain your near 100% reliability with the two 5” guns and accomplish nearly the exact same mission of the Mk110 with two 30mm Mk38 Mod2s per side. So, even if you are going to reduce the ship to a single point of failure NGFS system why would you want to keep it as the ineffectual 5" and not upgrade it to the Mk71 8"? The Spruance-class was specifically designed to mount the Mk71.

By reducing the Phalanx from 2 to 1 you are again reducing your Phalanx CIWS system from a reliable system to a single point of failure system. Phalanx is known for going down, so instead of having 100% reliability with 2 mounts you are turning it into a 50% reliability.

Since the ship's structure is remaining as it is, surfaces perpendicular to the water, there is not really much of a reason to try to reduce the radar cross section of the masts. In fact you’re increasing the vulnerability of the ship by changing masts. As the Spruances were, you're going to see the ship on radar no matter what. As we have seen in real ASM tests, by retaining lattice masts, you are producing a radar decoy for ASMs to go after instead of the main hull or structure. This also enables one of the two masts and its radars a chance of survivability if the ship were actually hit. While the structure will be peppered by shrapnel, it saves the structure and crew from a catastrophic detonation of an ASM inside the ship.

So, in a realilistic design, other than just making the ship look neat with low radar cross section masts and trying to pile as many new weapon systems on the ship as possible, why would you want to pursue your design over a more modest/effective proposal like the ones proposed in this thread?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:08 am 

I was stationed aboard the USS Elliot DD967 in the late 70s I loved the ship we even had a hobby shop on it. My first cruise was on the Elliot for the Iatolla Hostage crisis. the ship was only 2 yrs old when I got on it was great ole tub.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:11 am 

Hey Joe,

I hope I can do you and other Sprucan sailors right with my modernization packages. Those poor ships were sacrificed to force the Navy into buying LCS and DDG-1000. Now the Navy is paying painfully for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:48 am 

actually they were sacrificed because they were built with the wrong materials and were cracking like crazy literally falling apart.

now the cool thing is they were armed to the teeth. we had our 2 5" guns plus 3 torp tubes each side plus asroc, harpoon, Tomohawk and when we were deployed added 2 50 cals on the signal bridge plus when I left they were going to drydock where they were due to have the Phalanx added.

all we needed was some depth charges, few bofurs, few dual 20mm scattered all over the ship and would really be awesome.

joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:05 pm 

After conversing with the operator of navweaps, we were able to find a whole lot more information on the Mk71. Check out the page if you want to read some more of the information we uncovered.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_8-55_mk71.htm
The 8inch magazine capacity built into the Spruance-class Destroyers. I think many would find this very interesting.

The planned ammunition stowage for the Spruance class (DD-963) was as follows:

The first platform magazine (Fr. 77-94) held 129 ballistic projectiles, 119 standard propellant charges and 32 reduced charges.
The second platform magazine (Fr. 58-94) held 256 ballistic projectiles, 266 standard propellant charges, 40 Guided Projectile (GP) charges and 24 clearing charges.

The third platform magazine (Fr. 58-94) held 40 guided projectiles.

Including the ready service drum, the total ammunition stowage was 500 projectiles (ballistic and guided) and 556 propellant charges (standard, reduced, clearing and GP).

This arrangement fits in a vertical slot known as a "B-weapons Module". This is the same size as a Mk41 61/64-cell VLS arrangement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 am 

-----

Last edited by Seasick on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:10 am 

Seasick wrote:
...efficiently provided gunfire support. You also need to remember that opposed amphibious landings are the option of last resort. Reliability of the Mk45 gun is a problem of proper maintance. The Mk75 203mm/55 had jamming problems just like the Mk45 does.

I'm not talking about opposed landings. I have already established lots and lots of times what the current use of NGFS is...but even in the case of an opposed landing, it has been established for nearly 60 years that 5" and everything below is ineffective against any kind of reinforced or hardened target. Again, this is why you need 8 inch or greater.

Next, I have over 500 pages of the actual US Navy and Dahlgren performance data of the Mk71. The mount is remarkably reliable and 3 times more accurate than the Mk16 8" gun it replaced aboard the Des Moines-class cruisers. In over 2700 revolutions and 4 years at sea aboard the USS Hull, the gun failed once. The Mk45 5" has constant problems on every single ship. The Mk71 brought the 8" accuracy down from 600 meter CEP to a little under 250 meters. This is also nearly 3 times as accurate as the 5"/54...and then there's the precision guided round that brings it down to a maximum CEP of 10meters. Maybe if the Mk71 was in use on a normal basis it would have more frequent problems, but mechanically, the Mk71 as quite similar but vastly superior to the 45.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:58 am 

----

Last edited by Seasick on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:38 am 

Seasick wrote:
I will remind you that the Mk71 gun never entered production or achieved an IOC. The test data from the Hull was just that test data. The gun was never operational under combat conditions. Also remember that the test on the USS Hull with a partial system. The documentation you mention is also 30 years old...There are also many varieties of high tensile strength cement avalible today that didn't exist when the Mk71 was being tested...Once hostilities were started Saddam cleared out the bunkers and command was done using laptop computers cell phones commercial sattelite communication and microwave antennas. Saddam's generals ran their side of the war out of the backseats of cars and tool sheds. The primary mission of fire support is to attack enemy forces that are on the move, or not dug in. Hardened bunkers are a secondary concern.
Either you are not understand the tactical aspects of organic support, range, lethality, accuracy with ballistic and guided rounds, feasibility, time requirements, actual tests performed, and calls for fire....or you'r just playing devil's advocate. I am willing to bet you're just playing devil's advocate, because you're either forgetting or ignoring a lot of your previous arguments about range, accuracy, feasibility, your comments about AGS being directly interchangable with the Mk71, and all of the other requirements above. When I have talked BAE about tactical requirements coming from the fleet, they are hungry for the type of information I have outlined in my discussions for fire support, because that's what they're trying to accommodate, not just being restricted to what you've suggested.

But that's okay. This is not the forum where real decisions are made. This is the forum where models are made! And some great ones, too.

You've posted a few pictures in other threads of your vast amount of models, Seasick. Can you share some close ups of some of your Spruances and maybe some of the building and painting techniques you've learned and applied? I think we would all love to hear some of the lessons you've learned as you've built what you've built.

Also, do you know if the SPG-60 is a decent director for ESSM for if the Perrys, such as what the Austrailians have been doing with theirs?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:14 am 

Your claim about bunker design improving is entirely a farce, Seasick - Saddam just didn't build it on a budget - look at the German heavy bunkers from WW2 - they used upwards of four times as much rebar in their ferrocrete than most countries use now, and it showed, especially in the Flak towers, where the US tried numerous times to demolish the structures and succeeded in only crumbling a little bit, so they simply buried them under rubble and dirt.

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:56 am 

Seasick wrote:
-----
please don't get me wrong. I really value your comments. You do your part to keep it clean. While you and I disagree on certain points, you offer good opposing views, hense why I think you're just playing the other side of the coin just to.

I mention keeping it clean, because that's one of the things that drove me away from reading the worldaffairsboard. There are some contributors who do their best to take a dump all over everything everywhere and call it a good exchange.

I really like how you seem to keep up on modern technological developments, but I would like to hear some about how you have build some of your fleet, too! I am going to start some more models soon, and I'd like to hear anything you have to add about your Spucan builds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:14 am 

Also, Seasick, you once posted on here that a modernization you would do for the Spruances is replace the SPS-40 with a 49. I understand that quite a bit, but why would you want to keep it where it was instead of moving it up front where the Kidds had it (inplace of the SPG-60)?

I have read that the SPS-48C when it was on the aft mast (which was where the SPS-40 was on the Spruances) had a terrible time seeing out from between the masts. Wouldn't it be the same with the SPS-49 too?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:35 am 

Should have some pic's of my club mates 1/72 USS Scott DDG-995 Kidd class (as seen in pic's in my LB thread) tomorrow night after our club run at the lake, he should have his rebuilt forward mast finished hopefully !! He is building her in her final config which has the full NTU upgrade I think.

Bruce :cool_1:

PS I wish the RAN had gotten the Kidd's when the US offered em 2 us!! Would have had capable Air warfare ships instead we are getting the butt ugly Spanish F100 design built (YUCK), at alot more cost and still not in service for several years....

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS JOHN PAUL JONES DDG53
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS SEAWOLF SSN21
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:24 pm 

HvyCgn9 wrote:
Should have some pic's of my club mates 1/72 USS Scott DDG-995 Kidd class
Excellent! That's something I am looking forward to for sure!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:55 pm 

Spruance-class DDH:

Hey, guys, I am going to be putting together two DDHs later on this year, sone Spruance and one Burke. Does anyone have any scratch building tips for building the interiors of the helicopter hangers? The Spruance DDH modernization version will have an extended hanger, so it needs to be longer and it needs to have some fun detail on the inside. It's kind of hard finding interior detail of the Spruacan hangers, plus this one is going to be twice as long!

Attachment:
Spruance%20DDH.jpg
Spruance%20DDH.jpg [ 45.21 KiB | Viewed 1779 times ]

If you guys have any input on the interior of the hanger that would be great. I am beginning fabrication of the CGN-42 forward super structure today, and later this week I will begin on the hanger. Any contributions you guys might have on hanger interiors would be greatly appreciated for these projects.

-navydave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:03 pm 

If you really don't end up finding anything, you can place them in a port visit setting, and hang giant posters inside the hangars, like the South Koreans did when they visited my city:
http://www.modelwarships.com/features/w ... 090436.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:35 pm 

NavyDave,

Aleccap posted about a new set of PE 1/700 yard buildings and out of curiosity I looked up the supplier. Turns out they make 1/350 also and some of their PE sets are unusual and might work for misc. interior detail of the hangers. http://www.am-works.com/store/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:44 pm 

Just found this on the NavWeaps forum:

Spruance class DD with a Mk71 gun:
Author .....................Comment
seasick ....................Spruance class DD with a Mk71 gun: Lead [-]
Posts: 7464...............I built a model of a Spruance class DD with a 203mm/55 .
( 1-Apr-2007 07:07:24)I thought it would be interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:24 am 

Here R a couple of pix of my club mate Scott's 1/72scale USS Scott DDG-995 Kidd class tied up alongside my USS Long Beach CGN-9 (with my new constructed floating dock setup between em)
He has been working on a new fwd mast ( the old one was droopy) the ship will be built as for the Kidd class's final US Navy spec's

Cheers Bruce

Attachments:
File comment: new mast nearly completed two of the 3 radar's will be rotating
Ry4A1xx.jpg
Ry4A1xx.jpg [ 138.09 KiB | Viewed 1755 times ]
Ry4zxx.jpg
Ry4zxx.jpg [ 141.76 KiB | Viewed 1755 times ]
Ry4r.jpg
Ry4r.jpg [ 132.25 KiB | Viewed 1755 times ]

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS JOHN PAUL JONES DDG53
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS SEAWOLF SSN21
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:10 am 

That's pretty cool! I am looking forward to the completion of both your and his builds! Big, big, big.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next