The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:54 pm 

Good day,
I am going to proposed an new idea. lets take a current design that in use today specifically the MURASAME CLASS DD in JMSDF.
the some specific issues or problems with this class is as follows:
76mm OTTO and forward VLS with ASROC loadout only, MID DECK VLS tubes that appear to have ESSM Quad Packs (?), and a lot of wasted space on the various parts of the upper decks, and along with the famous mast that they love.

So my thoughts to upgrade:
Replace forward 76 with 5"
upgrade VLS Tubes to be able to handle TLAM and SM-2 and ESSM.
Add NTDS Electronic SPS-48 and SPS-49 aka KIDD and all the upgrade of electronics ie DOMES and such as the CG-47 class have getting during their re-fit.....
Thoughts of additional equipment....?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 pm 

Like I mentioned in the other threads, the midships VLS are for the old Sea Sparrows. Not sure if they can be easily modified for use with Mk.41-compatible weapons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:30 am 

The Mursame Design was further developed into the Takanami class, which in turn has now developed into the Akizuki class now in production.

The Takanami has much of the development you mention, adding the OTO Melara 127mm gun and Mk 41 vls, so maybe that would be a better starting point.

But then, maybe the Akizuki would be a better starting point - but info on that class is still kinda thin.

All have a crew compliment of 200 or less and are about the same size.

Whichever platform forms the base, I would make a double helo hangar a priority. Not just for a second helo, but for the flexibility that space provides - the second hangar could be considered a 'mission bay' (in current parlance), it could handle a second Helo, or could handle multiple UAVs. Easy to modularize extra command facilities, SPECWAR berthing/mission equipment, collection equipment, or any of a number of other items.

Another option for baseline:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/gib ... led-02510/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14 am 

thanks, since I am using the MURASAME kit for my starting point and just found out that trumpeter is releasing the 1/350 Tankanami some time later this year.
So mine starting point will be the same as the Tankanami class.
5-inch forward
48 cell VLS
and double Helo space.
My thoughts are to still use the NTU setup, we don't need another ageis like the burke.
add a RAM and replace the illuminators, and electronics (domes) to a current config that the CG-47 class have now... photos to follow...