The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:14 pm 

lucasner wrote:
This thread has me 100% committed to building my own version!
Can someone explain the logic for keeping the optical rangefinder? And, I would think the radar above the rangefinder would not be necessary due to much MUCH more modern surface search radars fitted, right?
This thread has truly inspired me, thanks!
Dave

Hey, man! Thanks for showing interest! The logic behind keeping the optical range finders is reliable redundancy. The optical range finders are remarkably accurate, and if the updated, electronic gun fire control system goes down, or if the gunfire control radar goes down, you can shift to the optical range finders and still land accurate shots.

To your second question, should be radar on top of the optical rangefinders still be retained? No, I do not believe so. The SPQ-9Bgun fire control radar can suffice, and if I ever finish this model project, I am seriously considering replacing the aft main battery optical range finder with a second SPQ-9B.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29