The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:28 pm 

David you always have me with ur ideas I have been hooked on what-if ships since my midshipmen days when I had to write a paper on the proposal to bring back the Iowa class. I was going to just get the Hawaii and go to town because she was never finished so it flair game of what she would have been fitted out with. Again go to town I have the Alaska and deck with a couple of extra New Jersey kits I may just remove the missile deck and fit it that space where the aviation gear was. David I would do this a lesson learn platform.do everything that they suggested to fix the Iowa design issues or upgrades that never happened. I am retired now with a new life after suffering two strokes in March. Nothing but time. My new wife from Manila loves these ideas she called them art in plastic which is corrrect no matter how you look at. My goal is to have something ready for va art show in the spring they had a revel Lexington representing our hospital it was out of box build . Now that I am a patient I can legally enter the contest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:06 am 

My man, thank you!

Indeed my idea of the Alaskas would have been that of an Iowa. She would have had a helo hanger dug into her stern and a deck long on her stern to match her beam. That would have given her quite the landing area. I would split the ship with guns forward and landing deck aft. She would have the Mk42 guns and a significant VLS.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:47 pm 

I'm going with the scenario similar to the IOWA's where she had minimal upgrades until the late 70's - early 80's. Then recommissioned as a hybrid, losing the No.3 turret and gaining a flight deck and hangarbay. She would be strictly helo / vtol, with two deck edge elevators, handling most birds smaller that the CH-53. For weaps, she loses all of her 40 and 20mm mounts and gains harpoons / ABL's, and CIWS.