The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:38 am 

Also here is an Atago Update, see the RBU-6000 to the side of the hanger (abreast the empty radar pedestal). & 8-AK-630s (waiting till last before I put in the barrels so they don't get broke). & here is also what I have so-far on Atlanta

Attachments:
Atago 34a.JPG
Atago 34a.JPG [ 92.9 KiB | Viewed 2053 times ]
Atago 34b.JPG
Atago 34b.JPG [ 150.13 KiB | Viewed 2053 times ]
Atlanta 34.JPG
Atlanta 34.JPG [ 82.45 KiB | Viewed 2053 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:30 pm 

Random thought... if you're going with Oto Melara 5" guns, go for the third up front. Apparently they have a problem with jams, so that might actually counteract the problem. As to some of the side mounts, you Could use some of the 40mm Twins, Those are pretty impressive guns when you see them in action (man those things can pound the sky).

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 am 

Sauragnmon wrote:
you Could use some of the 40mm Twins, Those are pretty impressive guns when you see them in action (man those things can pound the sky).

Yea, good Idea, I like those - but only have a few left (used a bunch on my Alabama). I like to save those for my big projects.

Last edited by GMG4RWF on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 am 

Sauragnmon wrote:
Random thought... if you're going with Oto Melara 5" guns, go for the third up front.

I thought about that but 3 single autos or 3 twin semi-autos - don't know if that's an upgrade??? - anyway I was thinking AMS there? - or scrapping the Italian & going with British or French (have a bunch of French 10cm autos) - (ps: did you see the Isuzu picks that ended up on the last page?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:15 pm 

Having some difficulty - can't understand what some of the russian parts are - think 1's Moff Cobb & 1's Bass Tilt - but don't know for sure - can't find English translations for part #s 5, 21, 22, 27, 28, 44, 45, 51 & 52 dose anyone know what they are - or how to find out ???

Attachments:
Part#a.JPG
Part#a.JPG [ 45.72 KiB | Viewed 2021 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:16 pm 

I have 2 Fujimi 1/700 scale IJN Light Cruiser Natori. I was planing to make 1 as-is but was thinking of mods. I was thinking of a contemporary mod with 3 Type B/D twin 12.7cm/50 destroyer turrets, 1 forward, 1 aft & 1 mid "#5" position (as with Isuzu) ans 2 Type C single turrets in the "#3&4 positions" this would give a 7 gun high angle broadside. What about a 3rd Type C in the #6 position forward of the main mast for 8 guns?

I was planning to upgrade the other with Russian 57mm twin turrets but am running out of Russian radar & FCS so I was just thinking maybe French 10cm automated singles. this would give a broadside of over 500 r/m, and I can add Exocets.

Unfortunately my camera was stolen so I can't post pics anymore.

Last edited by GMG4RWF on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:15 am 

... Fujimi 1/700 scale IJN Light Cruiser Natori ... Think I decided on a West German upgrade with French 10cm automated singles & Exocets or Harpoon, Mk32 on well-deck aft of foremast in-place of twin LLTT remove aft TT & add CIWS in-place of 25mm. What about Sea Cat or Sea Wolf?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:42 pm 

I know you said "
Sauragnmon wrote:
... no through-deck ships ...
" but I was thinking last night of my Natori rebuild and inspiration struck. the Nagara class were rebuilt early on with a flying off deck over the forward guns and a hanger in the enlarged, square, superstructure. I thought if you strip off the forward guns and everything aft of the funnels, then trunk the funnels (not together but part, to the sides)then extend the hanger aft. You can add helicopter landing decks aft and a launch pad forward. This would allow continuous flight ops where 1 helo is taking off forward while another is landing aft (or take-off and landing aft in rough weather). the #3&4 guns are replaced (perhaps with Mk16 or 42 5"/54s or Mk33 3"/50s). All TT's are landed with the aft mounts plated over. The forward well deck is decked over to extend the hanger across it but is left open underneath with 2 Mk32 triple TT's replacing the twin LLTT's. and a Mk16 or Mk25 mounted over the hanger. These would be similar in capability to the Haruna class DDH but with more hanger space and through deck operation capability.

I don't have the parts to make this right now but drew up this basic sketch if someone else would like to.

Attachments:
Nagara Through-deck CLH.jpg
Nagara Through-deck CLH.jpg [ 42.94 KiB | Viewed 1849 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:20 pm 

Hey, I said no through-deck ships in my original premise... that's just my rules, nobody said you had to stick with it. Similarly, I'm not entirely sure that would count on the aspect, since I was mainly aiming to rule out true Carriers, mostly limiting fixed-wing aviation in the service.

I've been watching your posts, I have to say they propose interesting ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing your work, man.. always interesting to see how other people take to my ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:24 pm 

Ran into prob with my Atago & Isuzu USSR mods (lack of parts) but finished my Atlanta CLAA upgrade. Made a 80-90s NATO/Euro upgrade. striped all WWII weapons, mounted 3 OTO-Melara compact 127mm/54s 2-F 1-A, same basic range/elev as the Mk38 5"/38, broadside ROF increased by 30 R/M (105 to 135), 3 OTO-Melara compact 76mm/62s 1-F 2-A for +240 R/M Broadside (that's 275 R/M of 76-127mm ammo!) 2 platforms with quad Exocet boxes replace side Mk38s, Mk32 triple TTs replace old 21"TT, a platform added between the funnels for a Mk25 Sea Sparrow launcher (8 rounds only, no reloads), 3 Meroka 20mm AMS added (in place of 40mm Bofors 1 each side of bridge & 1 on aft end of aft superstructure super-firing over aft turrets). Masts replaced with British heavy Pole masts (Type 42 style) & FCS upgraded. Still need to paint.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:56 pm 

Also think I'll go with a french upgrade to my Natori 14cm replaced with 5-10cm autos, 2 forward 1 each side & 1 aft. IDK about midships 14cm, maybe Sea Sparrow & Mag or ASW mortar? Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:49 pm 

I have some old models of Tatsuta & Oyodo & was thinking of doing an upgrade of them. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:44 am 

Just a few ideas, here...

Natori Class - not sure midships, but she could get some interesting stuff forward, your French 100mm gun is a good start. Aft just screams to be turned into a helicopter operation zone, though something like an ASROC mount behind the stacks could work as well. Harpoon or similar racks on the step down deck perhaps?

Tatsuta - Could do something on the torpedo mounts, think Fletcher Class 40mm Conversion... the aft structure makes me think of something like the USS Gyatt, a SAM launcher mounted on the aft deck, fed from that deck house. Could also turn torpedo mounts to Harpoon racks, ostensibly.

Oyodo - looks just ripe to be turned into a CGH really - the aft structure screams hangar. Could go with some missile systems forward... Talos or Terrier possibly.. or maybe a Mk 26 fed from below deck, with a gun mounted on the upper position..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:07 pm 

Sauragnmon wrote:
...Oyodo - looks just ripe to be turned into a CGH really - the aft structure screams hangar...
It is one, was thinking along those lines.

Sauragnmon wrote:
...Could go with some missile systems forward... Talos or Terrier possibly.. or maybe a Mk 26 fed from below deck, with a gun mounted on the upper position..
only thing is the 155 triples are still fully intact & articulated so I was looking to keep them, maybe ASROC midships between funnel & Hanger, or possibly build up for a Mk22/Mk13 launcher midships (as in Brook class FFG).

I was also looking to possibly expand my USSR mods with them (more parts).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:12 pm 

Sauragnmon wrote:
Natori Class - ...Aft just screams to be turned into a helicopter operation zone...
I was just thinking it screams Mk10 with horizontal missile mag. Same for Tenryu aft of the funnels. Maybe Mk42 or British 4.5" in-place of forward turret, modern lattice mast in-place of 2nd mount. Mk16 in-place of forward TT with auto-loader & mag under new foremast. Mk32 triple TT abreast Mk10 mag/abreast former aft TT mount. Possible Mk33 mounts or Mk15 Phalanx somewhere. SSMs (Mk141/143 or Exocets) abreast the funnels.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:46 am 

Oyodo might be promising for that idea.. the ASROC between the hangar and stack might work, Gearing style. Maybe use the forward 5" positions for 3"/50 Rapid Fires?

Natori - your Mk 10 idea might work too.. I'm not 100% on the height clearance if you put it on the fantail, and you could still put a helo pad on the upper deck behind the stacks. There's so much open space there, but you also have to find/build a space to house the SPG-55's if you're going for the Mk 10.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:56 am 

Sauragnmon wrote:
Natori - your Mk 10 idea might work too.. I'm not 100% on the height clearance...
That's why I was thinking Mk10 (horizontal Mag) instead of the Mk4 (Vertical Mag) same basic launcher but with the missiles stored in horizontal above deck housing (see USS Long Beach bow launchers - those long square housings behind the launch rails were the missile mages)

Sauragnmon wrote:
...but you also have to find/build a space to house the SPG-55's if you're going for the Mk 10.
on platforms just forward of the mag & on the foretop.

Sauragnmon wrote:
...and you could still put a helo pad on the upper deck behind the stacks. There's so much open space there...
maybe - but that would probably interfere with the SPG-55s