The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MN Dunkerque 1940 Colors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:18 pm 

All,

I am trying to find any amplifying information on the "Gris Fonce Atlantique" that the MN Dunkerque was painted in early 1940 for Atlantic duties. I'm thinking it's something in the ballpark of 507B or FS 36118.

Additionally, any idea what material was used on the superstructure decks? The photo below of a model in the French Naval Museum (built in the 40's) shows a very dark brownish grey that is similar to, but darker than the corticene used on RN vessels. Thanks!

Attachment:
Musee de Marine Dunkerque.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:21 pm 

This may help:

Attachment:
Dunkerque wreck 1944.jpg

I only saw this message after already replying on the main forum. The Dunkerque retained her dark grey 'Atlantic' colour scheme right to the end of her life. And there are colour photos of what remained of her taken after the liberation of Toulon as per the one above. You can just about make out the blue white and red neutrality markings on her axial secondary turret. So the colours in the photo seem somewhat reasonable, subject to all the usual caveats of colour photos from that era, post-processing of the image, computer screen settings etc. etc...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:55 am 

Thanks for the help, Mr. Church. After some consideration, I think my initial hack of something akin to FS 36118 is going to be too dark. I'm going to try FS 36231 for the overall Atlantic Grey and RLM 61 for the non-skid surfaces. I'll post some in-progress photos of how they turn out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:34 am 

Please do post photos, I look forward to seeing them.

Also worth considering that most of the photos of Dunkerque in the dark colour scheme seem to have taken in the Mediterranean where most of the time it would be much brighter than in the Atlantic. No sooner had Dunkerque been painted into the darker colour scheme for Atlantic Operations than concerns emerged about Mussolini's Italy joining the war so she ended up being transferred to the Mediterranean to Mers el Kébir to deal with that threat. Ironically.

That Dunkerque model you posted a photo of was actually on display last time I visited the Musée de la Marine in Paris. Probably my favourite section there. Along with the similar models adjacent to her of Richelieu and Jean Bart.