The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:29 pm 

Hi All,
I thought I'd start a new post, as my last one got lost at the bottom of an old post.
I am looking for some advice, I'm building the 1/200 HMS Hood, and I am looking for an acrylic paint that matches WW2 Royal Navy anti fouling red, I really prefer tamiya paints but unless I mix it, tamiya does not come close... Any suggestions for a paint, or the mix ratio for Tamiya

I'm build her as 1937, so I'm using the lighter grey, and the tamiya tire black for the boot, as it's not as black as black and shows a little wear... But it's the hull red I really need, there are lots of paints out there that say "Hull Red" but a really don't match what I've seen of RN anti fouling red...
much appreciated.

Adrian Aka Big Build

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:48 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

If you're using Tamiya's paints you're already using solvents (which is good because they adhere properly), so why care so much about the composition of the binder? :scratch:

If using the correct thinner (as opposed to using cellulose or "lacquer thinner" as it's called in the USA) a matt enamel smells no stronger than Tamiya's solvent based acrylics and will be touch dry within 30 minutes and usually a lot less.

Unless specifically trying to stay completely water based, it seems an unnecessary restriction - especially when the word "acrylic" when applied to paints means virtually nothing about the characteristics of said paint because all it refers to is the binder. Acrylics range from water based latex types to very hot hydrocarbon solvent based paints and each extreme has vastly different properties, strengths and weaknesses.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:05 am 

Well, as I said "I'd prefer tamiya" I'm not married to it... I'm still looking for "RN Anti fouling Red"... I also need to find it here in Australia...as most companies won't post paints overseas...

I'm using tamiya because I know the paints and have used them since it was 16... Which it many many years ago... I can't get floquil anymore, so my preferred paint is tamiya... But if you can recommend another paint my another manufacturer that is as close as possible to WWII RN Anti fouling red... Then that's what I am after

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:35 pm 

Lifecolor UA637 "hull red" for Royal Navy.

waterbased acrylics.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:23 am 

I've been successful in paint matching... I should now have enough to paint the hull.

Thanks