The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:11 am 

Good morning all.

I just start building my SMS "Blucher" in 350 scale and I have some doubt about painting.

Combrig kit is for 1914/15 configuration with tripod foremast. At the existing pictures I can see black paint on foremast which is clear for me but what about turret roofs?

When KM started using black color on the roofs?
I have also new,just publishing 3D book from Kagero about SMS "Blucher" and in that book shown roofs were black -? But i.e. there isn't black waterline on the hull - ??

Also is clear for me that she was paint overall grey not two shades of grey.

Can someone help me with this problem?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:48 am 

The closest answer to your question can be found in “German Warships 1815-1945 Vol I” by Eric Groner. This is listed as color scheme #9 (1896 grey) for ships in home waters, introduced April 15, 1896. Grey - hull up to level of the main deck, or main deck bulwark or forecastle outer edge, and the extension of this line in way of the enclosed upper deck.
Light grey - upper deck, superstructure, funnels, ventilators, Mast’s, etc, also guns, turrets, and shields.
This scheme was modified on Dec 26 1902 to specify gold for bow and stern ornaments, except in case of training, harbour and special- purpose ships. Aircraft recognition schemes 1916 - 1918, turret decks or forecastle black with a white circle. I like Lifecolor KM set #1 alternate #50 & 51 grey for hull and superstructure. Topmasts were obviously painted black at this time. The rest of your questions are not absolutely known. Another great book is “German Battlecruisers of WWI” by Gary Staff. Good luck