The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:39 pm 

looks white or light gray to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:56 pm 

Yeah, looks that way to me also. Very odd!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:56 pm 

With my Hiryu build winding down, I'm looking to resume my Tennessee build.

Question: Given the 10/31/41 directive for Tennessee to paint her decks blue, would that order apply to her bridge decks and "bird's nest" deck as well? I'm trying to decide if any of these upper decks would still show linoleum or dark gray.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:47 am 

Bump

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:04 pm 

Dan K wrote:
With my Hiryu build winding down, I'm looking to resume my Tennessee build.

Question: Given the 10/31/41 directive for Tennessee to paint her decks blue, would that order apply to her bridge decks and "bird's nest" deck as well? I'm trying to decide if any of these upper decks would still show linoleum or dark gray.

Was the directive to paint "all" her decks, or just the main deck and the 01 (boat) deck? If all, I would say paint them all deck blue.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:23 pm 

The October directive references this letter which speaks to both wood decks and steel decks.
http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/ ... Stain.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:11 pm 

Thank you, Jeff.

So, the way I read this directive is that only the wood decks were directed to be painted blue at this time for the observation experiments. And that at some future time, when instructions are revised, blue will be applied to steel decks as well. IIRC, that revision comes much later in the year, which means it likely that TN has not painted any steel decks blue by 12/7.

Which would mean any linoleum deck is left untouched as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:18 pm 

Hard to say. By the time Tennessee painted her decks in November, SHIPS2 was already out to the fleet. I would error on the side that all decks were painted.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:10 pm 

Specific direction for what Deck Paint to use for this evaluation was in this memo.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:12 pm 

It's interesting that it calls for 20 pints of 5-TM. As a comparison, Sea blue I believe only used 10 pints. Also, its VERY interesting that Whitney had this material on hand. I wonder if she just recently arrived at Pearl from Mare Island? Time to search for her log books! Since she was a Destroyer Tender, I wonder if those stocks were limited to the destroyers or if she was the ship that supplied the USS Raleigh's Sea Blue repaint at the end of October and USS Detroit's Sea Blue repaint in November.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:18 pm 

Deck paint for the blue deck evaluations?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:34 pm 

Well, no, not deck paint. 20-B wasn't available yet so they substituted it with vertical surface paint and tinted it a darker blue than even Navy Blue 5-N and applied it to the decks. Go Figure! Just another example of making due with what you have on hand at the time. They did the same thing with 5-D. By last count, there was 4 different versions of 5-D.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:38 am 

I thought Rick's point was the paint mix for the dark deck evaluation.

Speaking of which, the notes that I have indicate that Tennessee sortied with Maryland, WeeVee and Pennsylvania between November 3rd through the 10th as part of a Battle Force exercise. And again for another Battle Force exercise between November 22 and November 28th. But, she also engaged in a two day exercise with Pennsylvania and Nevada on November18-19.

I'm just guessing, but I think this short excursion was for the dark deck evaluation, particularly given that Nevada was in company with her. Which also means her, and Nevada's, decks would have been painted between the 10th and the 18th. Can anybody confirm that?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:24 pm 

Yeah, sorry, I think that is exactly what he is saying. More than likely even Tennessee had to use this mix to darken her decks.

As far as the evaluations go, the aviation units of USS Raleigh and USS Detroit were tasked to conduct these evaluations. USS Detroit was in the yard and dry-docked through nearly all of November. She finally sailed on November 29th. At 1446 on November 29th she spotted Task Force Two which included USS Nevada. Between November 30th and December 4th, USS Detroit launched her planes daily. She returned to Pearl on December 5th about the same time that Task Force Two returned.

Not sure yet of USS Raleigh's exact movements in November but I would guess her planes were the ones that observed units of Task Force One which included Tennessee. Raleigh stood out of Pearl at 0520 on November 21st.
Task Force One including USS Tennessee left Pearl on November 22nd and returned on November 28th. I would guess this is when Raleigh made her observations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:40 am 

Dan K wrote:
the notes that I have indicate that Tennessee sortied with Maryland, WeeVee and Pennsylvania between November 3rd through the 10th as part of a Battle Force exercise.

Wouldn't that be an interesting little diorama?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:23 am 

Quote:
Not sure yet of USS Raleigh's exact movements in November

If you have the time and inclination, Jeff, I would be most curious to see those.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:01 pm 

Well, I can paint some of Raleigh's picture for Nov '41 based off of other ships deck logs but it still has some holes.
Nov.1 - listed at Pearl
Nov.2 thru Nov.6 - Moored with USS Detroit at berth B-16 Navy Yard
Nov.7 thru Nov.10 - ??
Nov.11 thru Nov.12 - at Pearl
Nov.13 thru Nov.14 - ??
Nov.15 thru Nov.18 - at Pearl. On the 18th the Commander Destroyer Flotilla ONE broke his flag on USS Raleigh and hauled it down on the USS Farragut. No mention of Raleigh standing out of Pearl.
Nov.19 - ??
Nov.20 thru Nov.21 - at Pearl. She stood out at 0520.
Nov.22 thru Dec.2 - at sea.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:37 pm 

Thank you for that, Jeff. Yeah, the information is not quite not firm enough on the dates I had in mind.

Btw, did you/we ever finalize which bridge decks might have carried linoleum? Signal deck aft? Possibly the Navigation deck?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:31 am 

Unfortunately nothing new with regards to linoleum decks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:47 pm 

I want to get back to my thought about Tennessee having only her wooden decking painted blue by 12/7.

I have a very sharp and clear, cropped version of this photo (or one very similar) that I cannot seem to post due to file extension problem. Not sure where I might have gotten it from, but I think it was within the last year. Does anybody recall posting that cropping?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next