The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:59 pm 

Hi,

I wondered if there is any consensus on the colour of the pre-WW1 grey used by the RN, including HMS Dreadnought in 1907 (re the extended thread on RN WW1 greys)? I'm looking for an acrylic model paint colour that is close to this neutral grey (or a non-WEM enamel for comparison). Of course, I'll take scale effect (tinting) into account later.
Many thanks.
GrahamB

on the stocks:
Combrig HMS Commonwealth, in 1918 dazzle
Trumpeter 1/700 HMS Dreadnought 1907 (as built/pre-modifications after extended trials cruise).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:16 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

Have you seen the "On WW1 Grey" thread pinned at the top of this forum?

The lineage of Admiralty greys starts from 1907 in there. I've got (courtesy of some helpful contacts who may or may not chime in) documentation covering the formulae of these greys from 1907 through until 1948.

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 am 

Hi,

yes I have seen this and noted the Modelmaster ''Engine Grey'' match. This is far too dark for a 1/700 model and I've done a series of Tamiya Black and White mixes and think that a 1:15 ratio is about right (Tamiya White is not as pigment-dense as the black). I'll experiment a bit more when it's sprayed on the model - painted out swatches are usually stronger/darker than when airbrushed over a light primer.
Cheers
GrahamB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:35 am 

Graham,

The colour we believe became Pattern 507 came about in 1902. By the time the war started, there was a darker 507A in use. During the war, 507B was introduced in 1915 and 507C in 1916. They were all "pure" greys.

The 1902 grey had a ratio of 8.78:1 white lead oil paste to black in oil whereas 507A had a ratio of 3.01:1.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 am 

Instead of mixing ratio's, and for the purpose of 1/700 (and 1/350), and keeping color scaling in mind, can this be simplified to light, medium, and dark gray? :wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:21 pm 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

I think it should be simplified to the actual colours named as they were prescribed for use, and scale colour effects completely ignored and left to the builder to impliment if they subscribe to that school of thought.

There is so much misinformation peddled as fact on forums and in various books that I think a direct reference to primary research/resources (i.e. official documentation) is the only way to cut through all the crap and separate fact from fiction!

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:30 pm 

It is all a bit confusing, but at least with the Modelmaster Engine Gray (FS36076) in front of me - a very dark grey - I can achieve a lighter version with some acrylics that I prefer to work with for H&S reasons.

I agree it is always best to work from the original nomenclature and standards for paints - it is anarchy otherwise (without taking these things too seriously - it is only modelling :smallsmile: ).
Cheers,
GrahamB