The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:45 pm 

The only reference to Juneau's hull colors I could find stated that the hull was painted White, Navy Blue and Ocean Gray. In the pictures I seen the upper portion of the hull looks alot lighter than the superstructure.

Are these the right colors for the 11-42 time period? (White, Navy Blue and Ocean Gray)

TIA

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:34 am 

There's been a lot of discussion as to Juneau's hull colors. Some think that swatch on the forward part of the hull is black. Some say the lighter hull color is white, but I never believed that. What other warship in the Pacific had white anywhere on it? And while Juneau's camo is a hold-over from her time in the Atlantic, white paint on a warship in that theater was very rare as well.

What I used is 5-L gray for the upper hull and forward most part of the hull. The wavy pattern below is 5-N blue, and the dark band at the forward part of the hull is 5-D dark gray. Maybe not exactly right, but it makes sense, and no one can prove me wrong!

-Devin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:20 am 

Here's a picture of Devin's model - with the DD Laffey in the foreground. Both of which are really, really well done

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:18 pm 

Thanks! Now if I could just finish something else!

Post subject: Juneau hull colors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:47 pm 

Devin and Martin, Thank you for your responses to my question on the hull colors. I have Devin's Juneau and Laffey build on my favorite's list (with the touch of a button it's on my screen) and it is a great build. It has been an inspiration to me for my little Juneau.
I like looking at the final results of a build but even more I like the step by step process that went into a build that gets you to the completed project and Devin's is great.
NavSource has two photos of Juneau in the camo. scheme I want to replicate. The upper portion of the hull looks a lot lighter the superstructure, but white doesn't seem right. I like the 5-L option that Devin has suggested in his response here and in his build article. I guess I'll go with that.

TA

Gordon

"Then there was one patched-up carrier...."
Vice Admiral Thomas A. Kinkaid

Post subject: USS Oakland PM 83
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:09 am 

Hull lines are shown in section only (29 stations) as part of the 1/400 plans. Missed them earlier.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:31 pm 

Here's another comparison of the AMW Spokane and a bow picture of an Atlanta class:

Attachment:
USS Spokane compared with bow pic.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: USS JUNEAU CAMO QUESTION
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:26 pm 

Greetings

This is actually a question, not a reply.

It appears that the camo on Juneau was painted over in grey at some point. Take a look at the next to last photo on Navsource at
http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/052/04052.htm. If you copy the photo into your computer and then enlarge it, looks to me like you can see the blue paint on the hull painted over in gray, barely showing through. Also appears that all camo on the superstructure and turrets is gone. Anyone out there have any idea which grey color was used, or how to find the answer? One of these days I hope to build a 1/350 model of the ship, reason for my question. Thanks.

Fred Branyan
fredb1048@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:54 pm 

The color would not have been gray. The ships in the South Pacific were gradually switching over to MS-21 - Navy Blue on all vertical surfaces. The photo you reference is generally interpreted as the ship having had her superstructure repainted Navy Blue and the transom stern had also been repainted. However, the visible port side of the hull would have been the badly faded MS-12R, not color bleed-through. The ships would be repainted a section at a time, when the time was available. Between the time of the photo and the time she was lost, it is possible the repainting was completed. We just don't know for sure. Photos show Atlanta had repainted her hull. But again, while there was time for her superstructure to have been repainted, we really don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:08 pm 

FRED BRANYAN wrote:
It appears that the camo on Juneau was painted over in grey at some point.

I would argue that it's just a way overexposed photo - you can still see the pattern on the hull and it looks like you can see splotches on the superstructure, especially on the forward stack.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject: USS SAN DIEGO CL 53
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:14 pm 

Next project will be a model of the ship in MS12 Mod as it appeared in the fall of 1942. If anyone has any photos of the ship in that paint scheme, please rattle my cage at the email address below. I have 1 pretty decent starboard shot, a few partial starboard shots, and zero for the port side.

Thanks.

Fred Branyan
fredb1048@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:13 pm 

Some photos of Juneau in the South Pacific during the Guadalcanal Campaign. These photos are from NARA II, Record Group 80G, via Fred Branyan, who asked if I'd post them here for him (he is having some technical issues).

Fred has found some interesting documentation on the Juneau's camouflage during this time period, a subject which he's continuting to research. During that research, he came across these photos and wanted to share them. Enjoy!
Attachment:
Juneau001.jpg

Attachment:
Juneau002.jpg

Attachment:
Juneau003.jpg

Attachment:
Juneau004.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:19 pm 

Thanks Martin and Fred. By the way, the DD in the foreground is Laffey (DD459).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 pm 

I know you guys discussed it elsewhere, but her hull camo really does look pretty worn and washed out here, particularly in the last photo. The contrast is better in this pic, and it's closer.

Post subject: LAFFEY/JUNEAU PHOTOS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:45 pm 

Martin

Thanks for posting the photos.

For anyone who would like to examine the originals at NARA, they are in box 80-G-64, in the number range 13605-13612. Three of the 4 photos above are 13606,13610, and 13611. In my handwritten notes I put 13610 twice so I am not sure where I succeeded in confusing myself with my own notes and what actual number I failed to record. Holly on the 5th floor kindly put these 4 photos into their duplicate machine and then cropped/enlarged Juneau and adjusted the contrast/brightness to bring out the camo pattern as clearly as possible. Apologies my friends I do not have a portable scanner which may have done a better job.

Fred

Post subject: JUNEAU PHOTOS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:13 pm 

These photos are with the kind permission of the USS San Juan site. They show Juneau at Santa Cruz once she joined the CV6 TF. One of them seems to confirm the ship was in a very light color, as suggested by the on line diary that the superstructure was re painted into off white/haze grey on 6/15-16/42. Research continues.

Last edited by Timmy C on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into Atlanta/Juneau thread

Post subject: JUNEAU PHOTOS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:05 am 

I forgot to mention in the prior post that the on line diary I was referring to is the war diary.

Post subject: Re: JUNEAU PHOTOS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:49 am 

FRED BRANYAN wrote:
I forgot to mention in the prior post that the on line diary I was referring to is the war diary.

On-line diary? Where? I'd love to see it!
Can you please provide a link?

Post subject: JUNEAU
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:46 am 

Link is below per your request

http://www.ussatlanta.com/juneauwardiary.htm

Post subject: Re: JUNEAU
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:38 am 

FRED BRANYAN wrote:
Link is below per your request
http://www.ussatlanta.com/juneauwardiary.htm

Cool site, thanks!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next