The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:26 am 

Hello everyone,

I have the Hasegawa 1/350 IJN Junyo in the stash, the directions call aut that everything (except for the wooden portion of the flight deck) should be painted in the same shade of gray. Is that correct? Looking at the parts for the foredeck and afterdeck it shows rectangular detailing what I can interpret as either weld seams or strips to secure deck covering to the deck....

Thanks for any insights!
Cheers,

Erik B.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:18 pm 

Have never seen a specific color for decks. A few instances of flight decks with green shades. Might be a lighter grey due to being in full sun. Maybe someone has information about this but I have never heard about a specific deck color for the IJN.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:29 pm 

Thank you Dan! I was wondering if these decks were covered with linoleum as some decks on destroyers and cruisers seemed to have been finished.

Best regards,
Erik.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:11 am 

Metal decks were painted the same gray as the vertical surfaces on IJN ships. Destroyers and cruisers had reddish-brown linoleum on parts of their decks. Wooden deck areas were left in natural wood. The IJN only started experimenting with camouflage very late in the war. Some of the carriers were painted in shades of green with disruptive patterns that were meant to look like a smaller ship alongside. Flight decks had disruptive patterns that looked like turrets and gun barrels.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:23 am 

weedsrock2 wrote:
Metal decks were painted the same gray as the vertical surfaces on IJN ships. Destroyers and cruisers had reddish-brown linoleum on parts of their decks. Wooden deck areas were left in natural wood. The IJN only started experimenting with camouflage very late in the war. Some of the carriers were painted in shades of green with disruptive patterns that were meant to look like a smaller ship alongside. Flight decks had disruptive patterns that looked like turrets and gun barrels.

Thank you, weedsrock2! That confirms that I have to paint the ship in general all the same color!

Thanks for your help!

Erik B.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:39 am 

correct on all grey except for the flight deck.