The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Measure 21 what blue?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:29 pm 

I've been in and out modeling the past few years but back into building this summer.

Currently building a WWII 1/700 destroyer to paint in Measure21. Now I've used a few of different blues
in the past, Testors Dark Specular Sea Blue, Humbrol 77 and I just bought some Colorcoats
US08 5N Navy Blue.

I'm kind torn on the colorcoats as it doesnt look "navy blue" at all, dark grey yes, but not a
blue as compared to the Humbrol. I know colorcoats are supposed to be accurate.

So I'm asking, what blue do you folks use for Measure 21.

Thanks,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:48 pm 

It's a very very dark grey with a weak blue hue. Just enough to tell it's not a neutral grey (with only black and white mix), but it's not going to be your childhood navy blue pencil crayon's level of blueness.

Double check in different lighting, especially outdoors with the sun, since that's the condition under which these paints were originally viewed.

Of course, if you do like a lighter tone and bluer hue, that's of course your choice, especially with "scale effect" in 1/700.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:59 am 

Unless colourcoats has significantly changed their formulation of 5N since I used it some years ago, it should be noticeably blue. Having said that, I understand the urge to seek a bit more saturation of colour for the sake of your model looking better and/or more like you imagine it.

My personal choice for 5N, that I've now used for quite a few projects is Humbrol 104. Dark Sea Blue type colours intended for late war USN aircraft (e.g. the Testors you mention) should also be "good enough". Actually I use H104 for those aircraft as well, and for 20-B deck blue, and the CV flight deck stain depending on period. It's a great colour... :cool_1:

Also remember that the final perception of the colour depends on finish and weathering. Late war US carrier aircraft are gloss so the sea blue looks darker and deeper. A grey dry-brush on a ship will take the edge off the blue a little and make the overall effect a bit duller, but a satin coat could enhance the colour and give it a deep freshly painted look. Some ships in Ms.21 look almost black in B&W pictures, while others, clearly faded from long service, are more subdued.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:59 am 
SovereignHobbies
SovereignHobbies

It hasn't changed. It's still matched to Snyder & Short's (of Shipcamouflage.com) US Navy paint chips for 5-N Navy Blue.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0730/0927/files/US_Navy_Ship_Colours_Chart.pdf?205554285801963019

I'll add in that much of the perception is down to juxtaposition against other shades. Place Colourcoats 5-N against a heavily saturated indigo colour and it'll look very grey/gray. Place it next to a neutral toned Haze Gray type colour and it will look very blue. :smallsmile:

Current build:
HMS Imperial D09 1/350
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=167151