The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:42 pm 

I’m looking for the colours of the paint Scheme for RN Emergency V Class being done as HMCS Sioux (formerly HMS Vixen) as shown in the attached photo. This is based on the Atlantic Models 1/350 HMS Vigilant. The same pattern may have a number of different colour schemes as I have seen two colour schemes based on this pattern and is common on other emergency class ships.

I’m thinking of using white or G45 (507C) for the light areas of the hull, B20 for the lengthwise and darker hull piece (Atlantic Models recommends this for Vigilant here), and B30 for hull colour below the bridge structure and other superstructure parts. Perhaps some combination of the three colours for the superstructure. Shipping is a problem for ordering Colour Coats so does anyone know of any Humbrol or Model Master equivalents for B20 & B30.

My research has uncovered the following with some parallels with Chris & Les Brown.
1) Les Brown’s British Destroyers J-C & Battle Classes shows a similar pattern called Admiralty Intermediate Fleet Pattern (O Class pg 47) based on white for the bow area plus a darker colour 507C, G45 for the stern area plus some superstructure areas (looks too dark as G45 is supposed to equal 507C); and B30 for the bow fragment plus some bow superstructure areas

2) Chris Preston’s HMCS Sioux from 2004 - http://steelnavy.com/HMCSSiouxCPreston.htm

3) Malcolm Wright’s British & Commonwealth Warship Camouflage for HMCS Sioux has “dark olive”, ie B30 for the length wise piece from the stern forward; white for the bow area; and some shade of blue, ie “1941” for the medium colours for superstructure areas and below the B turret area.

All ideas are welcome
George

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:42 pm 

I feel that for some reason that photo gives a misleading impression of the lightest tone of the scheme. Here is another taken moments later which shows the scheme better I think:

http://www.specialcamp11.co.uk/General% ... hannel.pdf

Two more photos of her at that time (early 1944) in that scheme:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205120835
http://www.naval-history.net/Photo10ddSiouxRCN2NP.JPG

The official colours (interpreting the illustration in CB3098R of 1943) for the scheme were: G20 for the big dark hull panel ie from stern to pendant number under the bridge; elsewhere white with G45 panels on the upperworks aft of the platform immediately aft of the funnel and forward of the funnel on upperworks and on the hull forward of and above the G20; and with the panels on the funnel and platform immediately aft of it B30.

However there were of course many variations! In the case of Sioux it looks possible that there may have been no B30 and G45 was used for the all the panels on the upperworks other than the sides of the platform immediately aft of the funnel which seems to have some bits as a dark as the big hull panel below...?

(Beware of a censored version on a Canadian website of another of the series of photos taken during the high speed trials which has a doctored hull camouflage pattern. Beware also of Malcolm Wright's ideas of what colour the RN colours were on page 12: for example G20 was a dark olive colour not B30 which was a blue-grey.)

Best wishes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:02 pm 

Thank you Dick for taking the time to answer in such detail. I will add G20 to my list of options. Regardless what I do I will not be completely right or completely wrong! I should look at some colour samples and in time see what gives it the best balance and looks right.

For me the photograph only displays when I logged in. I have seen that happen elsewhere but this is the first time that it happened to me.

Thank you again Dick.
George