The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:39 pm 

I've just picked up the Academy Oliver Hazard Perry kit, and plan to do it in Australian Navy colours (hopefully chasing down some suitable decals also).
My google-fu is failing me, though, so does anyone know what grey was used in the Australian navy in the late 1980s / early 1990s?
I have read about 'Storm Grey N42', but am not sure where to go from there. :/
Preferably in Tamiya or Vallejo colours, but I can convert from others.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 am 

What country are you in?

If you are in Australia most people who do the kits simply go to Bunnings or the local hardware store and get paint mixed up for N42 and N63 storm grey and pewter for the decks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:15 pm 

Bunnings, Mitre 10 or any Dulux shop can mix AS2700 N42 Storm Grey. they cannot do the decks as from the 1980s until circa 2001, the RAN used the same deck paint as the US Navy ie FS36076. ModelMaster used to do this colour in small jars. If you look at colour photos from that period, you will see they are more a charcoal or tarmac colour than Pewter.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:48 am 

508medway wrote:
Bunnings, Mitre 10 or any Dulux shop can mix AS2700 N42 Storm Grey. they cannot do the decks as from the 1980s until circa 2001, the RAN used the same deck paint as the US Navy ie FS36076. ModelMaster used to do this colour in small jars. If you look at colour photos from that period, you will see they are more a charcoal or tarmac colour than Pewter.

That is interesting because when I served on HMAS Brisbane in 2000 the decks were painted in two different greys. The tops of some deck hatches and some capstains were painted a darker grey than the decks. The raised lip on the edges of the deck was painted a darker grey than the deck. This was the same for the mounts that the torpedo tubes and guns were on. On 1 deck or the main deck that ran the length of the ship from bow to stern where the superstructure rose there was a small lip which was painted a darker grey than the decks but lighter than the hull colour. The grating that the anchor chain was on was also a darker grey with the anchor chain white and holding chains black. The railings were covered in a black plastic type coating and the wires to tighten the tension on the posts were shiny stainless steel and the posts were hull colour.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:58 am 

I'm in the Czech Republic, so nowhere near Australia, and I suspect the local hardware stores would give an exquisite look of confusion if I asked for N42 or similar.
I am currently thinking that Tamiya XF-19 will be a reasonable match.
The decks being FS36076 should make things easier though!
Sutho - thanks for that info, it is very helpful, awesome to hear from someone who served there.