The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LCT-6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:50 am 

Anybody know of any Pacific camo schemes for this boat/ship? I've seen a few pictures on Navsource but nothing very clear or defining.
Thanks, Walt Haynes

Post subject: Re: LCT-6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:29 pm 

In July of 1944 a pattern was ordered used on LSTs and LCTs, however the document I found doesn't state what. Around September of that year the Navy changed it to pattern 20L. I can tell you that much. I don't have or know of a design sheet for LCTs in 20L. I do have a silk screen of the silhouette of a LCT on LST I found in either the Pearl Harbor or Mare Island NavyYard records, but I don't know if it's the authoritative design (plus, it's only one side). You can see the general philosophy of pattern 20L on this page.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:54 am 

Thanks, Tracy. I've seen several pictures on Navsource after looking through several hundred different LCT-6s. Hard to determine much though a few did resemble 31/20L.
Walt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 am 

Well, the LSTs, LSMs and LCTs honestly most often seemed to wear pattern "beat to snot and rusted" but it's not what the Navy ordered. :big_grin:

A lot came from the states in the official pattern at the time but were then touched up in a myriad of ways if at all. I've been paying attention to LST pictures in my research trips and scanning what I come across, but it's usually onesie twosie and no good multiple-side shots unless it was shot stateside by a blimp as it headed to the Pacific theater.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman