The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Modern German navy Paint
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:46 pm 

Hi Guys

Looking for advice i got my NNT model
of the Koln frigate what i am looking for is the hull deck paint codes i looked on sovereign models for the listing of modern german navy paint no joy all what was listed was under WW2 colours

Stevie

Last edited by Timmy C on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clarified title and moved to Camo section

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:25 pm 
Stevie,

I presume you mean the frigate KOLN II (F 211) launched 29.05.81 and reported broken up by Kampen/Ijssel from November 2016?

The following information is taken from Band 9/1 of Gröner's "Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe 1815 - 2015" by Peter Schenk and Reinhard Kramer and printed in 2017. These numbers are all according to the RAL system.

Under-water hull 3009 (Oxidrot)
Boot-topping 9005 (Tiefschwarz)
Upper Deck and bases (kicking strip?) of deck houses 7012 (Basaltgrau)
Above water hull and all superstructure (including funnels) 7000 (Fehgrau)
Funnel caps 9005 (As above)
Upper Deck hatches 7012 (As above)
Boats Unknown

The above is based on my translation from German: please exercise caution, my German is not too good. A German member of this site may be able to be more precise.

You may, however, be referring to KÖLN (F 220) launched 6.12.58. That ship was hulked in 1989 but according to the Reference was still in existence in 2015.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:34 am 

The Deutsche Marine (German Navy) uses a relatively dark grey compared to most other modern navies.

The translation by "Guest" is correct.

Some photos of Bremen class frigates to show how different the colours appear in different light conditions (click on the linked pages on "Link zur Bildergalerie" to see the photos):

Lübeck 2019
Karlsruhe 2012
Karlsruhe 2015
Karlsruhe 2016
Augsburg 2019
Rheinland-Pfalz and Augsburg 2007

These photos show a lot of differences compared to the NNT kit, which depicts an early fit of the class.

P.S. the ship was called Köln, not Koln.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:35 am 
Maxim,

Many thanks for the post, I am glad that I got that small amount of German correct!

However, having posted my reply to Stevie's question, a small bell of alarm rang somewhere in my head and I have since done more checking on the net. It would appear that the German navy now paints its ships up in an overall grey and has forsaken the '96er Grau style that it once adhered to. If that is correct, I do not know when the "move" came about: I can remember seeing German warships at sea in the 1970's and recall that they were still painted up in the '96er Grau style.

Giving a more precise answer to Stevie is made a little difficult owing to his not having given the year of launch of his "Koln" while the Gröner Reference that I quoted gives the "KÖLN" spelling for the earlier ship and "KOLN II" for the later one.

Here's hoping he finds the link in your post of interest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:22 am 

Why do you think that there was a change in colours? For me, the colours appear to be constant for decades.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:48 am 
Maxim,

Observation of the photographs in your link compared against my very good memory of what I remember seeing MANY years ago. Concerning your last sentence, it depends on how many decades, you, go back.

Meanwhile, I am terminating my interest in this matter. It appears, anyway, that the instigator of the question has lost interest in any answer we may be willing to give him but if he does "come back" I can only recommend that he contacts an official German Navy source for the information.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:00 pm 

Hi
Sorry about delay in posting
The paint codes listed on the plans listed are
Fehgrau ral 7000
Basaltgrau ral 7012
Other colours revell 378
Sovereign paint just list their paint under KM codes

Stevie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:45 am 
Stevie,

The two RAL codes that you quoted in your last post tie in with those in the Reference quoted in my post of 13 June. it would appear that all you now need is to determine which manufacturer produces paints suitable for model-making that tie in with those RAL codes. That should not be too difficult given the plethora of information on the subject that is available on the net.