The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:50 am 

EG,
I appreciate your effort to try to trip me up and challenge me. Keep in mind, I am peer reviewing someone else’s published research and questioning the validity of that research. When I have time later I will present more on this. It is up to the initial researchers however to explain the discrepancy in their published research.
Since you are demanding me to answer your questions, I’ll ask you again where did you see the photo of USS Arizona dated Dec. 5, 1941? I would love to see it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:40 am 

Darker than black is a silly statement.
rubbish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:51 am 

There is a thread on the Facebook Warship Camouflage Group discussing this. It has photos of the part of the Enterprise.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1938148 ... 3583031885

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:14 pm 

Hi,
I took the second photo from http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12942&start=2460#p926398:

and applied autocorrection features and some other little touches in Photoshop. Unfortunately, the photos are in the JPG format which is 8-bit. Although I work in PS with 16, or 32-bit color, the final JPG is degraded to only 8-bit color. The result is sometime quite significant change of the color - I experience it when drawing aircraft profiles. Conversion from RGB (monitor) to CMYK (books) format is another shift of the colors. Plus each of us has monitor with the different setup and properties, eg. each of us see a slightly different picture.
Anyhow, here is a result:

At least to my eye (and at my monitor) this adjusted picture looks more naturally. What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:52 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
There is a thread on the Facebook Warship Camouflage Group discussing this. It has photos of the part of the Enterprise.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1938148 ... 3583031885

Martin,
I don’t do Facebook. Can you give me the cliff notes on the discussion?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:27 pm 

Jeff Sharp wrote:
EG,
I appreciate your effort to try to trip me up and challenge me. Keep in mind, I am peer reviewing someone else’s published research and questioning the validity of that research. When I have time later I will present more on this. It is up to the initial researchers however to explain the discrepancy in their published research.
Since you are demanding me to answer your questions, I’ll ask you again where did you see the photo of USS Arizona dated Dec. 5, 1941? I would love to see it.

You know Jeff, I'm not trying to trip you up, I'm not trying to trip anyone up... I just want the same standard you seem to be applying to everyone else to be applied to you...

Not demanding anything from you, you can post anything you want or not, makes no difference to me....

I don't have a dog in this argument so to speak... I have the information I need to do what I want to do... I know who to contact if I need more... I had no intention of starting another shitstorm....

All I would like to see is the same evidentiary standard applied to everyone no matter the outcome.... Peer review? is that some sort of joke? An academic peer is someone with openly verified credentials.....

I'm not claiming to be a peer at least not where the USS Arizona is concerned... Are you? Because you haven't posted your credentials, or given a location where they can be reviewed....
If your going to start this process as a peer review process, rather than start in the middle and assume everyone is a credentialed peer, lets start right and everyone post their expert credentials.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:57 pm 

66misos wrote:
Hi,
I took the second photo from http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12942&start=2460#p926398:

{removed image link}

and applied autocorrection features and some other little touches in Photoshop. Unfortunately, the photos are in the JPG format which is 8-bit. Although I work in PS with 16, or 32-bit color, the final JPG is degraded to only 8-bit color. The result is sometime quite significant change of the color - I experience it when drawing aircraft profiles. Conversion from RGB (monitor) to CMYK (books) format is another shift of the colors. Plus each of us has monitor with the different setup and properties, eg. each of us see a slightly different picture.
Anyhow, here is a result:
{removed image link}
At least to my eye (and at my monitor) this adjusted picture looks more naturally. What do you think?

I'm going to post a couple of images here, they are of the USS Texas in Ms. 11 5-N Navy Blue.... Taken on the same day one around noon and one in the late afternoon.... from the exact same position and with the exact same camera and settings....

First Noontime....

Attachment:
USS Texas 5-N high noon.jpg

Image courtesy of Jeff Herne

Second Late Afternoon....

Attachment:
USS Texas 5-N Late Afternoon.jpg

Image courtesy of Jeff Herne

We know the ship is in Navy Blue overall scheme that is what they painted her in for the memorial... but in the second pic with the same camera and settings it doesn't look like Navy Blue at all.. In fact it looks like 5-D Dark Grey.....

You cannot judge colors by photo alone.... and then when you use photo software to make it more the way you envision the image should be you've introduced bias into the image, yours... The second image is your opinion of how it "should" look...... Therefore it is not a valid image of fact, it is a valid image of your perceptions....

I'm truly sorry, but your corrected image is no verifier of fact any more than the original image was to you...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:48 pm 

Jeff Sharp wrote:

Sure. Here are some screen shots and another photo. For discussion purposes only. Photos of the CV-6 relic and paint chips are copyright Ron Smith.
Attachment:
For Discussion Purposes Only.jpg

Attachment:
5D vs Black.jpg

Attachment:
For Discussion Purposes Only 02.jpg

It's a much more lengthy discussion than this, but these are germane to the earlier discussion about the CV-6 mainmast piece.

The info about using 5H as a pre-coat barrier in the last screen shot might explain the appearance of San Francisco's paint work on the day of the attack - kudos for Dan Kaplan for noticing that.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:51 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

All posters, be reminded as was written in the very first post, "This is an attempt to create here on MWS a dedicated thread where evidence can be presented, interpretations of the evidence can be thoughtfully analyzed and respectfully discussed, and viewpoints be shared in a meaningful way, in it own place, free from personal attacks, put-downs, accusations and counter-accusations."

Be evidence-focused. This means,
1. present evidence, as several of you have done above, and tell us what it is (e.g., "Here is a black and white photo reportedly taken on December 7th, 1941, during the attack, showing USS Pennsylvania.")
2. discuss any lack of desirable evidence (e.g., "Does anyone know of any color photos of Pennsylvania about the time of the attack?")
3. analyze the presented evidence (e.g., "This black and white photo shows a dark hull and light forward turret tops. It is consistent with US Navy Directive [x] which states that the hull is probably 5D and the forward turret tops are white. I can't tell if the hull is gray or blue. What do you think?")
4. interpret the presented evidence (e.g., "I think given the directive and what we see in the photo, the colors were most likely...")
5. suggest where to find evidence (e.g., "I remember seeing another document at NARA that may help. Color photos of destroyers taken about that time seem to suggest...")
6. identify past and ongoing search efforts for evidence (e.g., "Yes, I saw that document at NARA about two years ago. I think there may be another that is like it at Pearl."
7. report results of evidentiary search efforts (e.g., "I looked at NARA for that document last November but couldn't find it. We need to look again.")

This thread is not intended to be an Arizona "gray crew" versus "blue crew" opinion-based pissing contest or condemnation of researchers or modelers. This thread is intended to be a presentation and cordial, scholarly discussion of whatever EVIDENCE is available for any of the battleships at Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.

Desirable evidence includes photos and video, documents such as directives and logs, paint formulations and paint chips, and crew testimony or recollections.

Present the evidence, offer your own personal interpretation of the evidence and your own analysis, let's discuss the evidence like gentlemen and gentlewomen, then let individual modelers come to their own conclusions.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:34 pm 

My intention definitely is not to argue about subtle differences of the colors in JPG pictures at different monitors over Internet. I fully agree with you that it is road to nowhere.
I fully respect all your deep knowledge and almost the firsthand info (e.g. direct access to archives). Superb info and photos.
Neither I want to be an arbiter between Arizona "gray crew" and "blue crew". To be honest, after reading this and long Arizona thread and other materials on the web I have tendency to be somewhere in between (like Mr. Brunner testimony).

@Egilman - thank you for very nice pictures. There is nothing surprising. Light at noon is (almost) white-bluish (depends on UV) while light at late afternoon close to sunset - during "golden hour" is more orange/yellow. It is natural that objects look differently under different light conditions. Therefore white balance exists there. Used for instance by PS in autocorrections.

I was curious how the photo with the blue shift will look after PS autocorrections, whether turrets are still bluish. Hm, they look grey. I know, it is not any evidence, no true carved to the stone, it is only a picture at my monitor.
Yet the absence of evidence is not evidence of nonexistence. So I keep searching...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:52 pm 

Misos, I know you weren't trying to argue... and you were trying to accentuate the colors and bring them to the fore... problem is auto white balance is a process that brings out middle colors but as a result darkens the dark colors and lightens the light colors..... The auto corrected image appears blown out in the lighter colors as a result and overexposed in the darker colors which causes it to lose detail.... The photo itself is grainey and too low a resolution to do any good....

I use Gimp for image processing myself and stay away from autoprocessing anything cause they use a weighted average to perform their function... much better to feel your way when trying to correct color shift or tonal depth without damaging the image itself...

I could post examples of my work color correcting some images, but they are not on topic at all and as such are not appropriate here... I'm no expert mind you but it's a field I dabble in as needed to get details out of photos that are not plain in the original image...

You can check out the Benson-Gleaves topic to see some of my work with pulling details out of grey tone B&W images....

Trying to judge colors in sunlight is impossible without some documented indication to what scheme she was painted in, that's the opinion I get from experts in the photo retouching field...

And unfortunately, the battleships of Pearl Harbor have been photo adjusted to death serving various opinions on what color they were....

Someday we will get an opportunity to see the unretouched films of the Pearl Harbor Salvage operations in the NARA archive, (which I understand are as clear as the day they were taken) On my last trip to NARA almost a decade ago I viewed some of the footage of the Leyte operation looking for my father, if the Pearl footage is as clean and clear as the Leyte footage, it will put most of this controversy to bed.... Permanently....

Problem is finding someone willing to pay the price of having them copied..... (it's very steep)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:27 am 

Here are some pics of USS Enterprise's mainmast before and after she was painted into MS-1 camo.

While the ship wore Standard Navy Gray, the mainmast from the funnel cap on up was painted black. The mast traveled down through the funnel cap and then goes through a collar attached to the backside of the funnel. The portion of the mast below the funnel cap at this time I believe was painted Standard Navy Gray to match the color of the funnel.

After the ship was painted into MS-1 the mainmast above the funnel cap was painted 5-L but the soot from the funnel smoke quickly darkened it to appear black again. The portion of the mast below the funnel cap was painted 5-D to match the color of the funnel.
In this next pic, you can see the top of the mast. 5-L paint can still be seen but the lower half is covered in black soot.
The collar on the backside of the funnel is tough to see in this shot because the catwalk and loudspeakers are casting a shadow on it. This is however the area that Ron claims the broken piece of the mast came from. Ron says the accompanying drawing that was with the document and the broken piece found at the archives identifies this area as the spot the piece is from.
This next pic of Enterprise during the war gives us a better look at the mast traveling through the collar.

Ron has stated that Enterprise was painted into MS-1 camouflage during a short yard period in May 1941 and he claims the piece is dated May 24, 1941.

All of this seems pretty logical and plausible until you look at the date of the Document that Ron and Don presented to validate the fractured piece. The date on the document is March 18, 1941 and specifically states that the fractured piece is included as an enclosure. Don stated in his published article that the document and the piece were dated March 18, 1941 and that the piece is painted 5-D.

My questions to both of them were: Is their fractured piece the very piece referenced in the March 18th document? If it is, then how is it possible that it is painted 5-D if the ship was not painted in that camo yet? If it's NOT the sample referenced in the document, then why present the document as evidence to validate the piece and where is the real documentation to validate the piece?

So, either we have an unvalidated 5-D piece that can easily be validated if Ron or Don can show us a document with the correct date or we have a black piece from the ship if the piece is indeed the one mentioned in the March 18, 1941 document.

I initially asked these questions to both Ron and Don about this time last year. Neither have answered them yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:44 am 

Hi Egilman,
Egilman wrote:
...auto white balance is a process that brings out middle colors but as a result darkens the dark colors and lightens the light colors...

No, white balance in photography is the process of adjustment of colors to make them appear more natural in images, it balances the color temperature in the image. It is something different from the exposure, contrast etc. - processes used when pulling details from the photos.
As the photo adjusting is off-topic here, in case of interest in photo white balancing more info with the examples can be found at https://photographylife.com/definition/white-balance

Btw., is really known photo of USS Arizona dated Dec. 5, 1941 out there?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:21 am 

Jeff Sharp wrote:
Here are some pics of USS Enterprise's mainmast before and after she was painted into MS-1 camo.

While the ship wore Standard Navy Gray, the mainmast from the funnel cap on up was painted black. The mast traveled down through the funnel cap and then goes through a collar attached to the backside of the funnel. The portion of the mast below the funnel cap at this time I believe was painted Standard Navy Gray to match the color of the funnel.

{removed image link}

After the ship was painted into MS-1 the mainmast above the funnel cap was painted 5-L but the soot from the funnel smoke quickly darkened it to appear black again. The portion of the mast below the funnel cap was painted 5-D to match the color of the funnel.
In this next pic, you can see the top of the mast. 5-L paint can still be seen but the lower half is covered in black soot.
{removed image link}
The collar on the backside of the funnel is tough to see in this shot because the catwalk and loudspeakers are casting a shadow on it. This is however the area that Ron claims the broken piece of the mast came from. Ron says the accompanying drawing that was with the document and the broken piece found at the archives identifies this area as the spot the piece is from.
This next pic of Enterprise during the war gives us a better look at the mast traveling through the collar.
{removed image link}

Ron has stated that Enterprise was painted into MS-1 camouflage during a short yard period in May 1941 and he claims the piece is dated May 24, 1941.

All of this seems pretty logical and plausible until you look at the date of the Document that Ron and Don presented to validate the fractured piece. The date on the document is March 18, 1941 and specifically states that the fractured piece is included as an enclosure. Don stated in his published article that the document and the piece were dated March 18, 1941 and that the piece is painted 5-D.

My questions to both of them were: Is their fractured piece the very piece referenced in the March 18th document? If it is, then how is it possible that it is painted 5-D if the ship was not painted in that camo yet? If it's NOT the sample referenced in the document, then why present the document as evidence to validate the piece and where is the real documentation to validate the piece?

So, either we have an unvalidated 5-D piece that can easily be validated if Ron or Don can show us a document with the correct date or we have a black piece from the ship if the piece is indeed the one mentioned in the March 18, 1941 document.

I initially asked these questions to both Ron and Don about this time last year. Neither have answered them yet.

Jeff, in April 1941, the Errol Flynn movie "Dive Bomber" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dive_Bomber_(film) was filmed aboard the Enterprise, In Technicolor no less and unless I miss my guess, she appears on film in #5 Navy Grey....

Attachment:
3.JPG

https://youtu.be/yPrW5Lq5K80

So in my opinion, it is a valid question, good catch.....

Last edited by Egilman on Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:24 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Jeff Sharp wrote:

The info about using 5H as a pre-coat barrier in the last screen shot might explain the appearance of San Francisco's paint work on the day of the attack - kudos for Dan Kaplan for noticing that.

It supports Mr. Bruner's testimony about properties of the "lighter, bluish color": "...It took about three coats to cover up the old color; boy, it was awful!..."
Soure: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/264462-uss-arizona-paint-colors/&tab=comments#comment-2511994

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:38 am 

66misos wrote:
Hi Egilman,

Btw., is really known photo of USS Arizona dated Dec. 5, 1941 out there?

I'll take your word for the color stuff, like I said I'm no expert and can only relate what it seems to me happens to images when I use auto balance....

What I said in the earlier post is that I have an image purports to be the Arizona in the Pearl Harbor Harbor channel returning on morning of Dec 5th.....

Now we all have searched images enough to know why I used the word purports, not all dates on images (even in the National Archive) are accurate....

I'm holding it for use in my build of the Banner AZ in the future, it has a beautiful wake pattern in relatively calm waters and is very clear.... (definitely very late '41 fit)

So far I've been unable to corroborate the 12/05/41 date the source attributes to it, but I still have a few avenues of inquiry to go before I declare it accurate or a mis-date...

And yes it is a grey toned B&W image in overcast light that appears to be very light paint... much lighter than the November Dry Dock #1 pic... That's no accurate indication of what color it was though, but it does show very clearly as a fresh paint job...

I will post it one way or the other once I'm ready, but not until then...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:41 am 

66misos wrote:
It supports Mr. Bruner's testimony about properties of the "lighter, bluish color": "...It took about three coats to cover up the old color; boy, it was awful!..."
Soure: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/264462-uss-arizona-paint-colors/&tab=comments#comment-2511994

Yes it does doesn't it, it also supports his statements that it was the crew that was turned out to repaint her as the undercoat technique was only done by yard personnel...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:32 am 

Jeff Sharp wrote:
My questions to both of them were: Is their fractured piece the very piece referenced in the March 18th document? If it is, then how is it possible that it is painted 5-D if the ship was not painted in that camo yet?

Valid question. I want to say that I had read somewhere that Enterprise was repainted into Standard Gray for Dive Bomber, then repainted back into 5D. I don't know if that was at the studio's request or the navy's. Of course, I can't recall where I read that, but it was in an article or posting about the making of the movie. :doh_1:

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:34 am 

It would be very interesting but highly unlikely that the Navy would repaint an entire Aircraft Carrier back into Standard Navy Gray just for the filming after she was painted into MS-1 camo.
This is an excerpt on the Wikipedia page about the movie. The film crew had access to Enterprise for a week starting on March 20th.
Ron did claim in his “5-D vs 5-S” article that he posted on this site that her decks were repainted mahogany brown specifically for the movie but even that seems hard to believe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:32 pm 

Jeff Sharp wrote:
It would be very interesting but highly unlikely that the Navy would repaint an entire Aircraft Carrier back into Standard Navy Gray just for the filming after she was painted into MS-1 camo.

Agreed, and I may be confusing the painting of the AIRCRAFT for the movie with the SHIP.

Ship Model Gallery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next