The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:43 pm 

Hi all,
A couple of months ago I received a new bottle of Stynylrez gray primer. I've been a big fan of this product. But this bottle when sprayed dried in a semi-gloss finish. Also, the finish appears to be not as smooth as before. I contacted Badger and as usual (crickets). Their information page hasn't changed. I'm going to try calling them.

I need to do some tests on this batch I received. But I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this? I contacted John Miller at Model Paint Solutions and he told me that several customers have commented on the formula change in the last six months. So let me know if you've noticed this change.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:29 pm 

I heard back from Badger and they confirmed that they have not had a formula change. After sharing photos and a long discussion we determined that somehow this is a bad bottle. We also confirmed that this was fresh paint as they changed their lid which is now transparent. The paint could have been mishandled somewhere along the supply chain. The bad bottle came from Amazon and was listed as "distributed by Amazon".

I purchased a new bottle from Spray Gunner in Florida. This bottle sprays like the previous bottles I've had and resulted in a smooth finish, but I would say not as flat or as smooth as my last bottle. It's also a new batch with the new bottle caps. I wouldn't say I'm 100% back on the band wagon, but this has been such a good primer for me, it's hard to let go.

Dave