The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:31 pm 
Hi All,
Ive got a couple of Combrig early RN destroyers, Daring in1/700 and Banshee in 1/350.
what colour would Daring's deck be if she were finished in Black hull, and what colour would Banshee's deck be if I finished in a white hull for med service?
Also, as Daring is such a tiny model, can anyone suggest a method of weathering or a colour that wouldnt appear too stark, I feel flat black will just look wrong....

TIA.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:35 am 

Hi,
In his book "The first Destroyers", David Lyon quotes official sources.

about first 27-knotters:
"The outside of the vessel, deck dittings, funnels &c. should be painted black."

Mentioning the period when some ships has their turtle back painted grey instead of black:
Intructions describes application of grey to turtle back up to underside of fwd gun platform, grey too on hatchways & cowls for 2ft from deck, insides of smaller cows vermillon, "remaining portion of weather work (ie parts of ship exposed to the weather) black"

According to his research, balck was also applied under waterline (quoting 1899 sources about Teazer, Wizard & Conflict).

He mentions alterations such as the covering of the forward gun platforn with corticene (1901 source). "...Their efforts to obtain bits of corticene to cover these platforms show how necessary they find it".

That's still a lot of black through...

I like these early destroyers a lot and for painting decks I took inspiration on the model of TB17 in London's Science Museum: what look like corticene on deck except above boiler rooms:
Attachment:
Torpedoboat17.jpg

Painting the deck supposed to be black in a dack grey, maybe with a hint of green & brown would look fine (I used german WWII aircraft graugrün RLM74 :) )

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:13 pm 

Steve,

Further to Moomoon's answer.

I recall reading some (many) years ago but can't give a Reference, that the area over the boiler room was treated with a preparation used in blacking fire grates and stoves. It was some form of paste that was applied with a brush and dried to a matte finish. That would probably hold good for the DARING model that you are building but I would not be certain about BANSHEE. I would suggest a very dark grey, almost black: to deal with the scale effect. By the way, this area was always referred to as the "iron deck" in British destroyers up to and including the DARING class of the late 1940's. The term was still common in the mid 1960's when I served in one of the class.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:17 pm 
Thanks for the replies guys, very interesting - I have David Lyon's book, obviously I must read it more thoroughly! thanks for the tips regarding 'scale effect' - Daring is only about 2" long in 1/700!

Steve