The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saratoga CV-3 measure
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:02 pm 

I’m a military modeler and just getting into large scale ships. Starting 1/350 Arizona and Saratoga. I want to model Saratoga as she sailed from San Diego to Pearl in December 41. I cannot determine what measure she wore. Was she still wearing 5d paint or did they paint her in Ms11 (5s) while at Bremerton in November. Any input would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:11 pm 

This photos is from late 1941, taken by LIFE, of Sara in San Diego. One of a series of photos, I believe. She's still in Ms 1(5D) here.
Attachment:
gettyimages-50455090-2048x2048.jpg

This one, also in the fall of 1941, also shows her in 5D. I don't think she was repainted out of Ms 1 until her repairs in 1942 from the torpedo damage off Hawaii.
Attachment:
saratoga0001a.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:04 am 

Thank you for taking time to answer and post the pics Martin. I assumed as much, and there are so few pics of her around that time. I have never seen that first photo and of course and it’s so hard to determine what color is what in black and white. Can’t tell olive drab from bbq black. Your knowledge of the subject matter is in valuable!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:35 am 

Here is another photo of SARATOGA taken in late 1941, likely September or October 1941, during one of the many training exercises out of Pearl Harbor. The photo was taken at a distance, but shows her to be VERY dark and the scratches on the print make it inconclusive, but her mast appears painted a lighter color.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:13 am 

Here are a couple more at San Diego.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:03 pm 

Great pics, another two I’ve never seen. Agree, is that a scratch or mast? Would meet requirements for Ms 1. Dig the deck shot and 1/4 port bow shot looking up. Thanks Rick and Jeff.