The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HMS Hood question....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:17 pm 

Question for all those who know;
I'm trying to find out about the HMS Hood's final (as sunk) configuration, namely the A turret and the round circle/emblem on it? I know there was continuous debate over it before, so I need catching up!
I know there was a solid blue round dot during the Spanish Civil War (neutral forces), and a photo of her turret with a round painted "dot" (perhaps blue or faded blue) in 1940. The majority of this "dot" is painted but ends at the rivet line forward on the turret top. I have also seen depictions of it as a British roundel with a red center, but I cant find any photos to support it..
Any help out there? any new research as such? Please no unsupported conjecture needed-I have plenty of that already!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:48 am 

tegunn,

If Frank Allen does not pick this up here, your best bet is the HMS HOOD website.

Personally, I believe that the "dot" showing up on the crown of "A" turret in 1941 is probably the the paint from which it was originally painted "grinning" through the coat of paint applied later i.e. it would simply show up as a darker grey on any model.

From what I've seen, that "dot" appears to have been unique to HOOD (did HMS WARSPITE have one at around the same time?) and rather than being an indicator of neutrality may simply have been a cosmetic item applied whilst in the Mediterranean Fleet to avoid the foot marks of men showing on the lighter paintwork while they carried out work at the muzzle ends of the guns. However, I bow to the more knowledgeable "HOODIES" that abound on this website.

I hope that you receive a more accurate opinion than mine.