The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:50 am 

I've been fortunate enough to be able to visit this beautiful ship three times this year;

http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/

I've taken a number of photographs of it which i'll try and share when I get a chance, but in the meantime if anyone would be interested in them i'm happy to share the link to my folder on dropbox where I store them, if anyone PM's me i'm happy to send it over. If anyone is able to make the journey to Hartlepool to see her, I highly, highly recommend it - the best preserved vessel I've visited (and the surrounding buildings/displays - and the café - are excellent too!)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:50 pm 

I've been researching these ships in an attempt to create some drawings of HMS Shannon (sister ship to Trincomalee). Unfortunately the only measurements available online are not super helpful -- wikipedia lists the "Length of gun deck" as 150', and the "Length on keel" as 125' (unsupported by any textual references). I have a copy of "Frigates of the Napoleonic Wars" on the way in the mail, but wondering if anyone can tell me the length between perpendiculars of the Leda class frigates or direct me to large scale versions of the plans held at the Royal Museums Greenwich collection here, I would be really grateful!

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collectio ... 84700.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:51 pm 
Ian,

Aim an e-mail at plansandphotos@rmg.co.uk. You will get an automated reply giving you further guidance on how to obtain what you are after. You might also like to know that there is another of the class still afloat in Dundee, Scotland: HMS UNICORN. She was never completed and is now a museum ship in the condition of one "in reserve."

Re: Your need to find the length of ships of the class between perpendiculars. I am fairly sure that the expression was not used for sailing warships. Length on the gun deck is the proper term for the period.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:27 pm 

American ships in the Chapelle volume all show the LPP measurement so I was surprised not to see it for the RN ships -- the trouble with gun deck length is that it's difficult to use this measurement for accurate scaling of a drawing (or at least, I don't know the ins and outs of doing so -- having mainly focused entirely on wartime USN ships :) )

Will fire an email over to the museum to see about next steps. Thx!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:13 am 

I would suggest looking at the NRG forum Modelshipworld where there is much greater emphasis on ships of this era. In particular, Ed Tosti's thread on a 1/60th scale HMS Naiad is an absolute master class on the subject from first principles:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/232-hm ... mment-1840

The other suggestion is perhaps to establish the dimensions by working from the stated beam amidships and using this to establish the external length.