The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:42 am 

Does anyone know of sail & rigging plans for the slaver DOS AMIGOS (1830)? I have a fellow modeler who is asking about this. Any help would be appreciated. That's all the info he gave me.

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:02 am 

Can I suggest to post this question on this forum: http://modelshipworld.com. The guys there are more into 19th sailing ships. I don't know anything about the DOS AMIGOS, but unless there are reconstructed plans for modellers, it rather unlikely to find a rigging plan - it was never done on the basis of plans, but by experience of a master rigger/captain/mate. One will need to reconstruct the rigging plan on the basis of contemporary textbooks on rigging, e.g. BIDDLECOMBE. There may be sail plans that usually also allow to deduct the main spar dimensions.

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:25 am 

Wefalck - Thanks! As a Mod/member on MSW, I agree w/you about the better forum to post that question - I'm currently w/o my home computer and my normal email info/etc. I also agree with your comments on other contemporary slavers of that era and their construction & rigging.

FYI - my friend who is looking for that info contacted Ochre Models yesterday and they will not provide him with a set of rigging plans - he'll have to purchase the entire kit. What a bunch of asses - I will NEVER even consider an Ochre kit - EVER!!!

I will also pass on to him the ref. to BIDDLECOMB, etc. He is rebuilding an old model of DOS AMIGOS that was smashed for a client of his.

Hank

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:50 am 

Actually, sometimes Google produces useful information. I was curious, as I had never heard before about the ship, and did a quick search. If there is a kit, almost certain there have been some plans drawn by a nautical historian or modeller - they rarely do something from scratch, which would kill their profits.

So it seems that the kit is based on drawings by H.I. Chapelle and small reproductions may be in his book 'American Sailing Ships', but I didn't check (no time). The originals of his drawings are kept by the Smithonia Institution, which also seems to have a model of the ship.

Check this for more information: http://marinemodelartist.com/Fair_Rosamond/Fair_Rosamond.html.

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:45 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

wefalck wrote:
So it seems that the kit is based on drawings by H.I. Chapelle and small reproductions may be in his book 'American Sailing Ships'....

Good find! Yes, there is a rudimentary sail plan on page 162. The rigging is shown very simplified in that drawing but with your experience I'm sure you could make something fine out of it.

I have the old Scientific kit and intend to finish it as HMS Fair Rosamond.

Please keep posting any new information that you might find.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:03 am 

Steve, I myself don't do any active research on her. I just jumped onto the thread because there are not that many around that dabble with the sail area … As noted, it my be worthwhile to explore the holdings of the Smithonian.

Image Image Image Image