The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:38 am 

With the current trend of modern warships appearing to get uglier and uglier - I thought it would be nice to remind people of one area of naval architecture that it just getting more and more visibly stunning...

Hey, are there any other sailors around here? The more time I spend sailing, or just looking dreaming and drooling over these babies - the more I think they look far sexier than any warship, either past, present or future could ever dream of being.

But maybe this is the wrong forum for it, lol. There's always scuttlebutt and sailing anarchy :wave_1:

Anyway - here's a few nice photos: Abn Amro One - a 70' - and Maximus - a supermaxi.

Before anybody scorns at this thread... please bear in mind that both of these boats are capable of sailing 30~40+ knots. I.e faster than most, if not all, large warships in current service today. Both nuclear and gas powered!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:28 pm 

I agree with you in that they are splendid ships. Sleek, powerful and professional, but I wouldn´t call them sexy. The vertical bow (I don´t know the correct term for this bow shape, sorry :oops: ) doesn´t look that way to me, and neither does the astern. Besides, they are way too colourful and blotched with sponsor´s logos and things like that.

In any case, we only differ on the term. I love watching those ships sailing.

Thanks for sharing. Absolutely stunning photos!.

Cheers.
Pachi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:50 pm 

Second to last photo-beautiful! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:03 am 

I agree with Avery - The plumb bow...tsk. But damme they go I am in awe of the technology. I went aboard one of the Round the World racers in Rio some years ago. They are truly amazing machines, but sexy? More advertising than a Hockey players kit. No, for sexy give me me a gaff rigged J-class anytime and call me old-fashioned if you will, but I know what I'd rather expend canvas and paint on! The new ones are like a sign writing job ~:?)
Fraser

1/700th Kalinin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:37 am 

Pachi, the term is plumb bow - as coaster puts it. Actually, I can't force myself to like clipper or inclined bows on these things for the simple fact that they are a total waste of boat speed. But all engineering and hydrodynamics aside, I really like the look of plumb bows; I'm not so much a fan of banana boats myself!

And I can't even begin to take credit for 'sharing' the photos - I just went and did a google image search on my two current favourites and found these. Credit where credit is due!

Hey check out this youtube video of Pirates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1gcvHBd7oc

I believe I have a strong case in my argument for the pure charm of these boats. And notwithstanding the sponsor logos - at least they are very colourful.

I am a marine painter myself - I'll paint a 70' or a supermaxi before I paint a J-class. I'll agree the Js are pretty nice though. Just preferences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:52 am 

Avery Boyer wrote:
Second to last photo-beautiful! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks Avery, I chose to copy this photo because it nicely demonstrates my reasons for liking Maximus so much: The keel is canted hard over here - allowing a massive sail area to be flown; and the rotating wing shaped mast is turned to weather - significantly reducing the rig drag.

Now, we need to be building more models of these :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:11 am 

Quote:
I'm not so much a fan of banana boats myself!
LOL never heard 'em called that before. I agree with you about the colour, and as I said I'm a fan of the technology. They are, as you say very exciting to watch.
Quote:
Now, we need to be building more models of these

Absolutely. It's all part of navla Architectural history (in the making) and I've no doubt that at some point these beasties will be considered quaint. Wonder what'll be out there in another 50 years, not that I'll be around to see it.
F

1/700th Kalinin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:24 am 

I think the J-class is distinguished by being one of the most painted classes of racing yacht ever. I saw numerous versions at the last RNZYS annual marine art exhibition. There must be quite a few people out there who share your sentiments... I can appreciate them, but my preference of looks lies more towards the new monohull race boat designs.

I've always been a huge fan of the sailing navy btw; and it is great fun to think what the likes of James Saumarez or Horatio Nelson would have thought at the sight of one of these boats racing past them at 35+ knots... I mean, square sails and bluff bows were unsurpassed cutting-edge sailing technology for many decades back then...!

I couldn't agree more that we are today in the midst of witnessing maritime history in the making, thanks to events and races like these. While it may be a very long time before we witness another sea battle to be remembered for either its glory or infamy - or a new warship design to the elegance of that of HMS Hood or HMS Tiger, at least we have this incredibly rich culture to observe - and don't have to be constantly re-living the past or looking at wars for examples of fine seamanship or sound naval architecture.

As for the next 50 years... I think you're spot on there as well. It's anybody's guess isn't it.

Flowery romantic rant over. lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:42 pm 

Joseph Reindler wrote:
Pachi, the term is plumb bow - .......

Thanks Joseph :thumbs_up_1:

Quote:

This video is really stunning!!. I could change my mind regarding Maxis´ sexiness after watching it :heh:

Pachi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:42 am 

No worries Pachi! :eyebrows:

Bearing in mind Pirates Of the Caribbean racing (the boat was called Black Pearl) is a V-70, not a supermaxi - she raced in the VOR along with ABN Amro.

When I first saw this video, the massive 70 footer planning along balanced so delicately on her keel, like how a 14 footer might sail... I instantly thought the same thing! There are some instances in this video where the entire hull looks to be lifted out of the water and balanced on the keel...

:surfer:

Cheers,

Joseph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:00 am 

WOW :thumbs_up_1:
F

1/700th Kalinin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:44 am 

Not quite related.... but it must be said....

GO THE 92!

Great job Deano & the boys :cool_2:

If you don't know what I'm on about... you're either not a kiwi, not a yachtie, or just not reading the news :wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:50 am 

Nice versions of the story in brief...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_New_Zealand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZL-92

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:59 pm 

CONGRATULATIONS, KIWIS!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:43 am 
Seconded!
How about a painting of her, Joseph? Definitely a worthy subject!
Best,
Fraser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:11 am 

Pachi did you follow it very closely? I'm envious of anybody living in Spain right now... Desafiol certainly put on an awesome performance... on the occasions I heard John Cutler talking tactics in ESP's afterguard, he was very impressive. They were obviously a lot better than most people gave them credit for, as they upstaged both NZL and USA on numerous occasions. I'm happy they gave the kiwis a nice shake-up before the final.

Hey Fraser, sorry I really do owe you an email. Truth be told, I'm in the middle of exams right now, with aero-hydrodynamics (the universally acclaimed HARDEST paper in all of Mechanical Engineering) tomorrow morning... I'll have a few things to say when I get the chance. But for now... I'm off to have some more kittens... ha ha ha.

See ya,

Joseph

BTW: spot on about NZL 92, (along with NZL 32?) crying out to be painted... people seem to reckon the 92 is an ugly boat - but I honestly liked her even before she started winning races. Though I must finish my RN destroyer, and V-70 (not to mention exams) before I can take on any more work! :eyebrows:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:18 pm 

Hi all, Joseph:

regrettably I was unable to be there, though a close relative made it to Valencia. Absolutely fantastic time there. I watched some of the races and was very pleased with the Spanish team performance. We are pretty new in this challenge and I think they did extremely well. Thanks!. What a great time it´s been!.

Cheers.
Pachi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:34 am 

I think there are a lot of Kiwis over there now. Just my luck to be stuck in the middle of exams while all this is going on...

lol, I remember clearly, getting up one morning to check on the outcome of a round-robin 1 race day; where our team was racing USA, to find that USA's unbeaten record had just been broken....... (hopes were rising) by....... the Spanish! And not us!

Ah well... yes I think they will clearly go a long way next time as well.

Cheers,

Joseph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:43 am 

Now this was funny. After a day's racing with the RNZYS on sunday, while walking off the dock, I met the skipper of ABN Amro One (shown on the previous page) - who had also just returned from a day on the water. Nice guy.

New Zealand is such a small place. But what on earth were the odds of that?!