The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:32 am 

Many thanks Timmy C!!!

That looks excellent! The model was obviously built very well, but it looks like the kit is very well detailed too. I will have to go and check availability now. :)

Do the Victory experts here have any comments on the accuracy of this kit? Especially main dimensions and shape of the hull (as the rest is easier to rework, redetail if necessary)?

Many thanks,

Marijn

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:39 am 

Ok, I checked out the manufacterers webpage: http://www.rodlangton.com/napoleonic/frame.htm
Pricey, but it seems well worth it.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:26 pm 

I really like the Lindberg 1/300-ish scale model of the ship. It's surprisingly good for a Lindberg kit. Hate the rope coils molded as part of the deck, but other than that, it's pretty good. The kit shows up on eBay fairly regularly, and it's affordable as heck.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:39 am 

Thanks a lot!

That's another good contender!
It might need some more detailing work, but might be easier to do battle damage on than on a solid hull resin kit. I would like to build her (one day) immediately after or in the closing phases of the Trafalgar battle.

Cheers,

Marijn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:56 pm 

Also, oldgloryminiatures.com has a line of 1/300 Napoleonics - the same scale as the Lindberg kit I liked. The hull is solid and decent, although the masting is white lead. Getting both kits will give you a do-able kit with solid hull.

I'm trying the GHQ 1/1200 ships now, to see what I can do with that scale. May be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:22 am 

Thanks Mosey Dave!

I didn't know that one yet.
I can't seem to find any clear photo's of that model online though. Do you know of any? It is much cheaper than the Langton kit, but maybe this is reflected in the detailing and/or quality?

I think 1/1200 is certainly very interesting too, especially for diorama's with multiple ships!

Cheers,

Marijn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:01 pm 

Hello,

A few years ago I was cruising the websites for billings kits on the Victory. Is there a source for all manufacturers for these kits as there is one kit in particular I was interested in, I think but may be wrong, was by Jericho? It was the most complete kit with all fittings and came with the copper plating, the kit was approximately $1500 USD at that time. If anyone has info or any links they can direct me to would be appreciated.

Thank you for all the help!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:32 am 

Hy marengtech

was it perhaps Jotika?

XXXDAn

See also our german forum for the age of Sail and History:
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:38 pm 

Yes it was...thank you very much!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:14 am 

Hello!
Several years ago I assembled the hull of the Heller 1/100 Victory kit; what a joy it was to work on! Bur then I was daunted by the details involved in the shrouds / ratlines. Just the other day I noticed that the Scalewarship website has a Victory Ratlines Set in Etch for the Airfix 180th kit. Does anyone know if there is now a 1/100 etch set for the ratlines availible now for the Heller Victory? That would be great! Standing and running rigging would be that much easier afterwards! Many thanks in advance for any leads / info you can provide me with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:35 pm 

Hello Gordon,

at the moment there are no such ratlines for the 1:100 kit. The reason is that the brass is to thin for the looks. One would need about 0,9 mm shrouds, while the etch usually gives the thickest as 0,4 mm.

But have you ever tried to rattle down some shrouds? Most people that were worried about that in the start, were doing great jobs, once they tried it out themselves. Just give it a test, in last case scissors are never too far ;-)

... and then try again :-)

Cheers, Daniel

See also our german forum for the age of Sail and History:
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

Post subject: coral victory sm23
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:16 pm 

hello. anyone have used plans for this ship.let me know if you would part with them.

Moderation edit: this is the Corel kit, SM23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:56 pm 
I am considering building the Airfix HMS Victory in 180 scale. Is there a website where I can purchase brass cannons for a ship of this scale?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:16 pm 

hi
can someone point me to 1 a supply of copper for the lower hull of 1/180 scale victory and 2 P/E ratlines
cheers
guys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:26 am 

hi guys
anybody make a wood deck for the 1/180 scale airfix victory
gary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:12 pm 

I am building the Heller 1/100 kit, and I am considering adding fire engines and hoses. Does anyone have any info on these, what they look like, dimensions and how they are stored on ship? I have searched books and internet but can find nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Rustey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:33 am 

Folks, I'm working on the Revel 1/225 Victory. I'm not a sailing ship afficionado as I usually work on WW II RN, USN and RCN subjects so I don't have a lot of knowledge on the workings of the rigging on these ships. Photos and artwork of these ships often depict flags being flown from the top of the foremast and mainmast. Where to these flag halyards tie off on the deck below? I would expect the area of the main deck would have some sort of flag locker near each mast where the flags would be stored when not in use but the Victory model has no such thing visible near the base of these masts. Would the signal halyard run all the way from the masthead to the main deck below? I'm reluctant to simply glue the the flag to the mast itself as that would look odd to me. Any hints or thoughts on the proper way to depict the flags on these masts? The flags in question are the Union Jack (on the foremast) and an Admiral's pennant (on the main mast).

Paul O'Reilly
Perplexed Sailing Ship Modeller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:07 am 

All, where on the main deck did Victory's flag halyards tie off? I want to put The Union Jack on the foremast and the Admiral's pennant on the mainmast but I'm unsure where on the main deck these halyards would be tied off. Anybody have an educated guess?

Paul O'Reilly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:10 pm 

Paul O'Reilly wrote:
All, where on the main deck did Victory's flag halyards tie off? I want to put The Union Jack on the foremast and the Admiral's pennant on the mainmast but I'm unsure where on the main deck these halyards would be tied off. Anybody have an educated guess?

Paul O'Reilly

Maybe you could try the museum:
http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Nelson_12.htm
or
Jotika (Caldercraft) whom made, in my opinion, the most accurate Victory to date:
http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Nelson_12.htm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:56 am 

Is this topic still open for posting as I don' see any for many years ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next