The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:58 am 

Has anyone ever built one of these beauties? I'm very tempted to get one from a retailer here in Taiwan that is offering it for around $70 USD. My dad saw this ship and took pictures of it at Funchal-Madeira in 1957 when he was on the USS Canberra CAG-2. I would love to get this kit, if anyone has built one, let me know your thoughts on it. PS..Are there any websites that feature plastic sailing ships?

Regards
Morton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:43 am 

The finescale modeller's forum is currently one of the strongest sites concerning sailing ships in plastic.

The local guru is jtilley, who has an (informed) opinion on most plastic sailing ship kits. I have benefited immensly from this site.

//M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:15 pm 

I'd second masch3's recommendation of the FSM forum (here's a direct link: http://cs.finescale.com/forums/7/ShowForum.aspx ) - also, I would say that $70 US is very good value for a Passat kit. I think this kit's original retail price was nearly twice this much (about £60-70).
I've never seen this kit in person, built or unbuilt, but have heard it is pretty good in both quality and accuracy - as with the real ship, it is VERY large and complex, especially the masts + rigging, and if my experience with Heller kits is anything to go by, the instructions can be rather challenging!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:03 pm 

Thanks gentlemen!

I just picked up the kit last night after sourcing it through my local retailer and gave me an even better price {around $65 USD} for this beautiful ship!
I lugged this massive 4 foot wide box across Tainan City in a 125 cc motorscooter at the height of evening rush hour and couldnt wait to open it up and take a look at it. No sails included, but that's fine by me. The details looks superb. Hull isnt warped at all {Have read other posts saying their Pamir kit {which this hull shares kitwise has had issues with warpage in the past} on that fine forum at FineScale Modeler masch3 referenced {Many thanks for the tipoff!} Really nice kit! Am looking forward to tackling it and then doing the "Preussen" when that's restocked in the next shipment. Also have the "Arromanches" aircraft carrier waiting for me and that "Replenishment at Sea" 3 kits in 1 box special Heller has with the Foch/Clemenceau, the once VERY rare La Seine fleet oil tanker, and the DDG Depit Thouars/Kersaint{sp?}..have to wait a bit on those as my "Finance Minister" had a bit of a cow with just the "Passat"...so the store owner and I worked out a deal for him to hold these until I'm ready..{grin}

Thanks for your comments and suggestions guys!

Morton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:36 am 
Ive the 1/150 scale sister ship" Pamir" on my shelf.. they are nice kits that beg to be detailed..have fun with it and good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:40 am 

If you're interested in the topic, be sure to pick up a copy of "The Four-Masted Barque" by Edward Bowness. It is written as a modeling guide to sctachbuild the "bed posters", but has plenty of information on rigging, etc. which should apply to 5-masters as well. Includes fold out drawings, etc. I believe the 1976 edition has some additional material not found in the 1955 issue so its the one to look for.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... ue&x=0&y=0

Highly recommended for the price.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:27 am 

Hi, All:

I just received the Passat kit and I'm looking for info on the web, that is scarce. Can anyone provide some links?
Have you started your kit, Morton? I would greatly appreciate some feedback from you!

Happy modeling,

Rea00cy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 am 

Last edited by ingura on Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:07 am 

Nice models! I would really love to see those beauties sailing :big_grin:
R/C is way out of my resources and skill; nevertheless, I can easily imagine the challenges of building ships like those...that really sail!
Thanks for posting,

rea00cy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:29 am 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capalec/4974494126/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/capalec/4974494120/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:12 am 

Nice pics, Alec!. Evidently that is not the same as my kit (Heller, 1/150) but looks fine. Can you post some closeup photos?

Thanks,

Jorge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:18 pm 

Don't be concerned about the background, and sadly when I've finally got round to building Nippon Maru's diorama, she'll be flagless, as I don't want to buy a whole sheet of 1-350 flags as I mostly model in 1-700, I've already asked the good people on this site if they had a spare rising sun or 2 in 1-350 apparently not. Still never mind.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/capalec/4977213961/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/capalec/4977213971/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/capalec/4977213985/
My first attempt at building the above model was a couple of years ago and on this site, the model is by a company called Lee, the above model by Aoshima also in 1-350, she was a training ship used by the Japinese navy until being converted into an oiler, there are several ships all carry the name ''Nippon Maru''

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 am 

Just started trying my hand at plan drawing. Here is my first attempt.
Bob

Attachments:
File comment: Pass of Brander - Four-masted Barque
Pass of Brander Sail plan Large) (Medium).jpg
Pass of Brander Sail plan Large) (Medium).jpg [ 72.26 KiB | Viewed 5164 times ]