The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:52 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

http://www.edwebproject.org/scandinavia/vasa.html

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/vasa_ship ... ckholm.htm

The Airfix kit is an oldie but a goodie.

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/s ... sa-a09256/

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1 ... past-.html

Attachments:
vasa15.jpg
vasa15.jpg [ 238.35 KiB | Viewed 8634 times ]
vasa.leftcannons.jpg
vasa.leftcannons.jpg [ 103.41 KiB | Viewed 8630 times ]
vasa02.jpg
vasa02.jpg [ 225.19 KiB | Viewed 8633 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:53 pm 

Hello,

I am scratch building Vasa of 1628 and the director of research at Vasamuseet in Stockholm, Fred Hocker, thinks my model is the most accurate ever built. :smallsmile:

You can view it on my website:

http://clayton707.googlepages.com

Cheers!
Clayton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:12 pm 

Hyho Clayton,,

always admired your great build!!!

Also would also like to draw attention to Hervé´s site where there are really great informations.
http://wasadream.com/

Here is the english verion translated by Clyton.
http://wasadream.com/Index/indexenglish.html

Here is the german verion that I had the honor to translate.
http://wasadream.com/Index/indexgerman.html

Enjoy, Daniel

See also our german forum for the age of Sail and History:
http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:00 pm 

Hello Steve and others,

I started with the Airfix kit about one year ago, after a visit to the Vasa museum in Stockholm. I found that indeed the Airfix kit is quite good, however dated in that it showed the restoration status around 1970-1975. Since then many more parts have been found and added to the ship: I have spent quite some time in 'updating' the Airfix kt to the current situation.

And then, lo, Revell comes with a new kit! I have one for a kit revoew on my workbench too, so I can compare them well. First the scale: Revell's is 1:150, so slightly smaller than Airfix', both measure out well. Next: Revell have opened up the lower gundecks, although not as full decks but only a sort of galleries. Many more guns to paint, Airfix only has short barrels to stick out from some dark holes.

Thirdly: Revell have done their homework well, and the ship is up-to-date. Even the paint scheme is meticulously copied from the large 1:10 model in the museum, and whene everything is coded with the familiar Revell colour flags, I can tell you: no fun! Enought to drive anyone crazy. One picture in full colour print could have done better. Still, no fun to paint all those statues in lively colours. But that is not a problem from the kit though.

Fourth: Revell has given the standing rig as injection moulded ratlines etc. I think it will build into a decent model, but maybe the connoisseur wants to replace that with real rope rigging instead. Plus adding all the finer details of course.

If I would start today, I would chosse Revell instead of Airfix, but now as I have made all the updates, I could continue just as well.

Curiously, one error from the Airfix kit was exactly copied onto the Revell one: The nails in the hull, which suggest positions of the most important frames, suggest these frames were perpendicular to the lower deck: this was definitely not the case: frames were erected vertically over the keel, which itself had a slope of about 3 degrees down towards the rudder, so the frames were not really perpendicular to the keel. Strange that this error was made in exactly the same way by both Airfix and Revell, maybe attribuable to the same faulty drawing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:14 am 

Wish revell had done it in 1/100 scale, so results can stand next to my beloved heller 1/100 HMS victory.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 am 
Hello everybody,

First a very big shout out to Clayton. I went to his website to check his Wasa and other stuff...WOW is an understatement!
At the moment I have just started to do research on the Wasa, as I am about to start one myself in the near future. The things I aw on Clayton's website gave me alot of inspiration, but also demoralised me as I know I will never in a millions years be able to pull that off lol. Serious now, my goal is to make my model as accurate as I am able to get it. After some investigation I decided to start with the kit from Billing Boats, as it seems to have the most correct hull of all models available at the moment. Do the experst here agree with that is my main question. I will not do a full scratch build, as that is way out of my league, so basically I need a good base to start with.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:52 am 

Quote:
the kit from Billing Boats, as it seems to have the most correct hull of all models available at the moment

Sorry, I'm, not able to asses that, as I don't have the Billing Boats kit. But as basically the same info was available to anyone from the sixties onwards, I wouldn't think Billing would have it all wrong.

And the better news: I believe Billing doesn't provide you with a complete hull (right or wrong) but with the drawings of it, and the timbers to build it yourself! So ample room for improvement if you find an error somewhere.

So I would start with examining the Billing Boat drawings closely and comparing them in detail with better drawing sources, and make adjustments to it if needed, before you cut any wood.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:50 am 

Wasa model ship (Vasa)- the grandest warship in the fleet of Swedish King Adolphus. I spotted this one from one supplier from Australia.

Attachments:
IMG_7161_2.jpg
IMG_7161_2.jpg [ 282.76 KiB | Viewed 5386 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:43 am 

sydneyship wrote:
Wasa model ship (Vasa)- the grandest warship in the fleet of Swedish King Adolphus. I spotted this one from one supplier from Australia.

Quote:
On the site it says: "Highly impressive, historically accurate, 1:72 scale model of the Wasa."

I wouldn't spend a dime on it. The model looks wrong, much too bulky, and many details are wrong at first glance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:22 am 

There are several versions of Wasa models on the market. Some have a better choice of detail, but all are fine examples of research. However, all lack some key details that must be investigated to get the 'best' from the build...regardless of who manufacture the kit.

References are equally important; and all references are not absolute. It's really up to the builder as to how much is placed in the project. I used Bjorn Landstrom's book for my Airfix Classic Wasa and other supporting references for the rigging. Even there (the rigging) is a judgement call to what may or may not have been present. The overall outcome is what defines how well a model is done.

Airfix Wasa has been my choice for years because it was the first model to come on the circuit based on the 1961 raising. Some details were questioned, but overall, a good model -expecially in the way of modification which will be shown at a later time.

These images, though limited, gives a scant preview of the build. Again, in my opinion this kit is a good build -provided its modified. Otherwise the plastic is too delicate to achieve any true rigging base.

Attachment:
4DSCN1520 (2).jpg
4DSCN1520 (2).jpg [ 290.92 KiB | Viewed 3232 times ]
Attachment:
VASA completed  gallery in goldleaf -Rex Stewart.jpg
VASA completed gallery in goldleaf -Rex Stewart.jpg [ 311.35 KiB | Viewed 3232 times ]
Attachment:
DSCN3135 (2).jpg
DSCN3135 (2).jpg [ 326.14 KiB | Viewed 3232 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:55 am 

Fairwinds wrote:
There are several versions of Wasa models on the market. Some have a better choice of detail, but all are fine examples of research. However, all lack some key details that must be investigated to get the 'best' from the build...regardless of who manufacture the kit.

References are equally important; and all references are not absolute. It's really up to the builder as to how much is placed in the project. I used Bjorn Landstrom's book for my Airfix Classic Wasa and other supporting references for the rigging. Even there (the rigging) is a judgement call to what may or may not have been present. The overall outcome is what defines how well a model is done.

Airfix Wasa has been my choice for years because it was the first model to come on the circuit based on the 1961 raising. Some details were questioned, but overall, a good model -expecially in the way of modification which will be shown at a later time.

These images, though limited, gives a scant preview of the build. Again, in my opinion this kit is a good build -provided its modified. Otherwise the plastic is too delicate to achieve any true rigging base.

Attachment:
The attachment 4DSCN1520 (2).jpg is no longer available
Attachment:
Attachment:

I fully agree with you! The Airfix kit is maybe outdated by the Revell kit, the latter being more up to date because of the later discoveries, like the paintwork. Funnily, they share the same basic error of the frame locations (indicated by the pegs shown on the skin), this error is traceable to the same erroneous drawing. In reality the frames were all parallel to each other.
Attachment:
vasa15.jpg
vasa15.jpg [ 49.63 KiB | Viewed 3208 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:13 am 

Recently I have had debate, and combative voices regarding my version of the Airfix plastic kit WASA. In reality, my builds (like any other) will always be subject to scrutiny. However, it doesn't cease my continued efforts to research and reveal findings that were proven -whether by me and/or those who went before.

I have restored hundreds and scratchbuilt hundreds of models in my 50 year tenure. And in that/this time, those who have trusted my integrity were satisfied. And the best part of this journey is that I've never scrutinized any novice or professional builder; rather presented insight to my cause and purpose.
Nothing more...

We all have been established in one way or another. Credentials, not awards, continue to be the basis for growth in every arena -including shipmodels.

Airfix was a discovery for me during the 1960s while attending Catholic school. I, and a group of boys went to our local hobby shop after school; and it was there that I was absorbed with the many models on display. Eventually I began to build one...That experience is what brought me here 'today' -and I know there are other young boys who are interested in the medium. However, we must cease the bickering and absorb the information. NO ONE is so knowledgeable to write 'the book'. We ALL have a part in the literature to whatever degree fits our 'research'. Nothing more.

I have written blogs on the Airfix plastic sailing ship(s) to bring awareness to the medium. Those blogs have helped those to acquire a better understanding for modelling them to the next level. It is because of my professional experiences, have I been able to do so. These models were finely executed with, of course, flaws...and there are still many out there sitting in boxes.

I bring you to this blog https://classicshipmodelminiatures.blog ... ation.html in the hopes that you will focus on your build. Be encouraged with 'your' experience in it. Don't focus on the other individual. This is how you become established in your art; your journey.

Attachments:
07 (2).jpg
07 (2).jpg [ 294.58 KiB | Viewed 2322 times ]
DSCN3795 (2).jpg
DSCN3795 (2).jpg [ 392.21 KiB | Viewed 2322 times ]
DSCN2147 (2).jpg
DSCN2147 (2).jpg [ 283.04 KiB | Viewed 2322 times ]
DSCN2351 (2).jpg
DSCN2351 (2).jpg [ 284.3 KiB | Viewed 2322 times ]
DSCN2621 (2).jpg
DSCN2621 (2).jpg [ 317.6 KiB | Viewed 2322 times ]
DSCN3231 (2).jpg
DSCN3231 (2).jpg [ 351.02 KiB | Viewed 2322 times ]

Last edited by Timmy C on Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into Wasa/Vasa thread