The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:33 am 

Outstanding work. Thanks you for the pictures .

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: AWOL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 am 

Due to the arrival of an 1/72 "You came in that? You're even braver than thought!" a few weeks ago I've decided to join the dark side for a while and drop out of this group build. I've seem a number of very nice builds in thie thread anyway and will keep following it with interest.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:51 am 

Time for an update from me. Got most of the materials I need, like paint and plastic. Almost 50% there! :big_grin:

Major improvements include the top mast, which now includes p/e gold ladders, the captains bridge above the front turrent, which was hard to build, a cut up trumpy Seagull, and bow gun spots.

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 pm 

Great builds guys! Never group builds were on this site, and I wish I would have cause I would have definitely joined in. When does the next one begin and what will the subject be? I will probably need to buy a kit cause my stash is down to nothing.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:47 pm 

Hey guys!

Been awhile, but I have been plugging away and with the deadline quickly approaching. Everyones builds are looking great and can't wait to see them all finished. My Chicago is progressing and it will be my typical down to the wire finish but she should be done by the 6th. Well, without further ado I give you my rendition of the USS Chicago CA-29 in August of 1942.
Attachment:
chicago19.jpg
chicago19.jpg [ 132.13 KiB | Viewed 1629 times ]

This shot is of the supplied parts for the Radio Room and the aft 5-inch gun director platform. Both had broken splinter shields. I replaced the broken shield on the lower lever but completely scratchbuilt the director platform to better represent the Chicago in 1942. I thought I took a photo of the platform on it's but guess I didn't. You will see it in the photos below.
Attachment:
chicago20.jpg
chicago20.jpg [ 127.26 KiB | Viewed 1629 times ]

The aft 1.1 gun tubs are supplied in white metal, and even though this kit had pretty good white metal pieces these were kind of rough. The one on the right was how they came and the one on the left is when I was done going at it with my dremel.
Attachment:
chicago21.jpg
chicago21.jpg [ 147.87 KiB | Viewed 1629 times ]

You see one of the 40 ft boat cradles that I scratchbuilt and the PE cradles that I raided from the spares box for the 26ft boat. You can also see some of the scratchbuilt boat crane platform and the 5-inch practice loader.
Attachment:
chicago22.jpg
chicago22.jpg [ 141.03 KiB | Viewed 1629 times ]

Here we see a dry fit mock up of the major pieces of the mainmast, The CXAM radar was from the WEM line and a very nice looking part. I scratchbuilt the 20mm platform above searchlight control and you can see the scratchbuilt rangefinder on top of turret #3.
Attachment:
chicago23.jpg
chicago23.jpg [ 136.34 KiB | Viewed 1629 times ]

Here you see the scratchbuilt 20mm Tub on the stern. There were no good photos and looking at sister ships didn't help much as most of them each had a different arrangement so i just went with a simple oval tub. This took 14 pieces to make.
Attachment:
chicago24.jpg
chicago24.jpg [ 149.75 KiB | Viewed 1629 times ]

Here we see the catwalks at the forecastle break leading into the well deck. Photos of this area are hard to come by, so these were the best I could do with what was available. You also see the 20mm gun emplacements that are next to the funnel and their servicing ready service lockers.
Attachment:
chicago25.jpg
chicago25.jpg [ 134.99 KiB | Viewed 1629 times ]

Here we see the boatdeck as it is today, most everything is done in this area except for rigging and painting
Attachment:
chicago26.jpg
chicago26.jpg [ 130.5 KiB | Viewed 1629 times ]

Here we have the 5-inch gun decks, you see the above mentioned director platform no in place. You also see one of the 8 5/25 gun mounts from L'Arsenal in place. If you look at the top of the crane post you will see I redid the pulley because the white metal version was solid and sort of a oval/hexagon shape, looks a little better anyway.
Attachment:
chicago27.jpg
chicago27.jpg [ 111.63 KiB | Viewed 1629 times ]

Overall shot of her as she sits today. Almost all the railing is done and small details in place. The biggest thing left to do is fit her out with her AA armament and then paint and rig her. Should have more done today and maybe even start painting.
Attachment:
chicago28.jpg
chicago28.jpg [ 132.95 KiB | Viewed 1629 times ]

Detail of the bridge. I tried to use tin foil to represent canvas covered railings on the pilot house roof, I think it looks okay but we will see when its painted. That tripod and all of it's platforms were a nightmare to get alinged and then detailed with ladders and railings but in the end I prevailed :heh:

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's updates and to the above posts question, what is up next?

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:12 pm 

taskforce48 wrote:
Looking forward to seeing everyone else's updates and to the above posts question, what is up next?

Hehe, we should get the poll going now, so by the time the winners are announce, we're ready to start the next build. The last wait was killing me! :big_grin:

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:50 pm 

Update for the Indy: Only 5.5 more days left :eyes_spinning:

Painting underway...might have enough time left for some railing...if I can figure how to do it :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:34 am 

Everything looks outstanding thus far. Can't wait to see all the finished results.

I can set up another poll for the next group build but I need suggestions. If anyone else wants to set up the group build by all means go ahead, I'd love to participate for once :cool_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:02 am 

Aircraft Carriers Before 1946
Aircraft Carriers After 1946
Modern Cruisers/Frigates
German naval warships
Japanese naval warships
Battleships
Bring back the destroyers!
Landing craft

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:51 am 

drdoom1337 wrote:
If anyone else wants to set up the group build by all means go ahead, I'd love to participate for once

Drdoom,

I'll take it on if you don't mind. I will set up a poll tomorrow on the main forum, if anyone has any suggestions please submit them here. I will probably do that tomorrow afternoon. JT, I will incorporate your suggestions.

Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:14 am 

I have some suggestions:

Cold war ships
Flat tops
Modern navy
WWI
Civilian / transports (this might be really interesting)

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:37 am 

Am very sorry, but I probably will not finish the USS Charleston in time. So I'm out.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:42 pm 

Small update, painting has begun.
First step was priming with my favorite primer
Attachment:
chicago30.jpg
chicago30.jpg [ 139.98 KiB | Viewed 1554 times ]

Almost done priming
Attachment:
chicago31.jpg
chicago31.jpg [ 137.3 KiB | Viewed 1554 times ]

Finished product, getting a little nervous as my supply of MM Acrylics is beginning to run low.
Attachment:
chicago32.jpg
chicago32.jpg [ 119.33 KiB | Viewed 1554 times ]

All thats left now is the planes and small AA guns and then weathering a rigging.

Matt

PS> I will get that poll up here in a little bit.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:53 pm 

Nice job Matt! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob pink. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:05 pm 

Quincy wrote:
Nice job Matt!

Thanks Bob! I am starting to feel the pressure now of the deadline though :eyes_spinning:

Just as an FYI, I have posted a poll on the Main Forum for the next Group Build. It's up for 7 days, so make sure to cast your vote.

Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 am 

Nice job there Matt. You are going to bring it to the "Spring Show" with you? I look forward to seeing it in person.

"Then there was one patched-up carrier...."
Vice Admiral Thomas A. Kinkaid

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:47 am 

Gordon,

Thanks! I am still aiming at coming and the Chicago will be coming with me if I can get the time off at work, still a little up in the air. If you think about it, you sort of have seen this one in person as it is the kit I bought at the show last year. This could be a new record for me, a kit bought and completed within one year :heh:

Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:54 pm 

To clear up any possible confusion later, this contest runs THROUGH March 6, until 11:59PM pst. All entries must be in by then if possible. I'd like to get the judging done as quickly as possible.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:58 pm 

Where do we send the entries?

Trying hard to make the deadline, but with 30 hours left, 12 of those spent at work, not looking too good. Rails are out for sure...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:14 am 

JTninja wrote:
with 30 hours left
:cry_3: :pout: :faint: :eyes_spinning:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next