The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:57 pm 

even after misting on the dull coat the pastels disappeared, so I went to my stand by, Mig Pigments concrete dust..Looks much better now.

On the bench:
Dragon 1/350 USS Bunker Hill CG-52
In Line:
Tamiya 1/350 USS New Jersey BB62

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:33 am 

Let me know if im posting too many pictures. I want to show how I went from A to B, since it took me forever to get there :big_grin:

Still need to trim the back of the mast/thingy. Thinking of using some p/e material for the poles that came out, maybe not though. More likely to attempt putty'ing the crevices..

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:11 am 

Never enough pics!! Keep'em coming, and I applaud you for backdating the Indy kit!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :cool_2:

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:07 pm 

All my supplies finally came! (except the wooden deck). I don't even know where to begin with this thing. I roughly assembled some of the major components, but all of these have photo etch on them in some way. I simply couldn't believe the photo etched roof for the hangar!

I think I might be in over my head with this one :lol_spit_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:34 am 

Time for a small update

JTninja wrote:

Ive taken the scratch built top mast building that I made recently and rebuilt it, as it was too big and wide. The new one is much narrower and more accurate. Ive also worked on the metal guard walls, the front gun ports being baised on the Joe Worlds deck (which might be incorrect as well, looking into it) and the rear turrent.

Hope everyone else has been working on their entries!

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:42 am 

Nice!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Over on the SteelNavy site Jerry Philips posted a Critical Past video of Indy in her 1944 dazzle scheme. There are really good views showing off her forward tripod mast.

Its is on Page 2 on the SteelNavy website.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:09 pm 

Quincy wrote:
Over on the SteelNavy site Jerry Philips posted a Critical Past video of Indy in her 1944 dazzle scheme. There are really good views showing off her forward tripod mast.

Great find, thanks!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:54 pm 

Here is my entry. This is the Corsair Armada USS Northampton,CA-26, with GMM PE wearing the MS-5 scheme, the Fall of 1941. I have a bunch of photo's but I did not know if I should post all of them here or somewhere else.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:38 pm 

Great job Mark!!!! I love your Northampton!!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:43 am 

Great job Mark, she looks fantastic! :thumbs_up_1:

After a few days of hell, I can finally say Ive done with the hardest part. All scratch built based off pictures, with plastic and cut-up staples. I think Ive managed to accurately (as I can in 1/700) build the top mast shape, with the exception of the beams being slightly too large. Big thanks to the warship book, got a picture I havent seen on the internet. I put my built mast next to the picture in the 2nd image :thumbs_up_1:

Less than 2 months, hopefully I can finish!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:47 am 

Great job!!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:10 am 

Rapidly approaching completion, still need some photo etch to do the catapults and rails for some of the 5" 25. Still need to do the rails and rigging and a little weathering. Started working the scouts last night, using Trumpy Seagulls, need to thin the wings a bit for apperances. The first one has the wings thinned and struts installed, needs paint and final assembly. May need a little patching on the hull at the waterline near the fantail, added a spacer on the port side to heel the ship over simulating a turn to port...depicting the ship running for her life off Rennel Island 29 Jan 1943. Lion Roar 40MM mounts look good but are fiddley with delicate barrels. Photos later.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:01 pm 

Here are some in-progress shots of the Brooklyn. I had to make a lot of the parts as the kit is pretty bad.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:27 pm 

She looks great Bob!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:37 pm 

I'm making a little progress. It's just mocked up right now but I'm not real pleased with the deck blue or the fit between the hanger and the hull.

Attachments:
DSC01835.JPG
DSC01835.JPG [ 143.74 KiB | Viewed 2259 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 am 

Hey everyone,

Sorry for my absence, been a crazy couple of weeks with work and family. I have made some progress on the Chicago in the form of finishing the catapults, scratchbuilt the stern 20mm tub and started the 5/25 secondary guns. I hope to post some pics later today as we are rapidly approaching the deadline for completion. Everyone else's builds are looking great, loving the backdated Indy by JT, Mark that Northampton looks pretty sharp, Randy is that the 1/350 1944 San Francisco? Bob C., your hard work is paying off, well until later.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:22 am 

Besides posting some photos here what is the drill when we finish our models? I should finish Chicago by Sunday night, all I have left are the utility boats aft rails and some paint touch up.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:29 pm 

I finished the Brooklyn last night and sent photos into the submissions email address. I also finished the Itsukushima but didn't post those photos yet.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:42 am 

I can look at the photos here to judge, but I also suggest sending photos to Chris Decker. I don't know his email off hand though.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:15 am 

She's done, about 2 weeks late but done well. This is the 1/700 Corsair Armada Chicago 1943. I replaced the 40 MM mounts with Lion Roar photo etch, the catapults, inclined ladders, and 5" 25 rails are Gold Medal Models, the radars, railings and aircraft struts are Tom's Model Works, the aircraft are Trumpeters, and the 5" directors are canabilized from a Waveline kit. I used White Ensign Navy and Model Master Blue 5N variously for the hull and vertical surfaces and MM deck blue, the hull red is a TLAR (that looks about right) mixture of Humbrol hull red with MM insignia red. I drilled out the funnel caps and added the internal framing. I manipulated several access ladders to produce the inclined ladders from the lower deck to the hangar roof and the ladders alongside the aft funnel. I shimmed the port side to simulate a hard turn to port like she's trying to turn away from the torpedo planes that crippled her on 29 Jan 1943. I made the platform for the SG radar on the foremast and the platform immediately under the fighting top. I used invisible thread for the rigging and antenna wires. I used pastel chalk for some weathering. The water is Water Effects acrylic jell dry brushed with white and over sprayed with Mr. Color clear blue. I used a scrap hull to set the form and basic shape of the water before attaching the ship. She was a fun build this time and mostly cooperative for a change...I didn't lose as much photo etch this time as I usually do so I am very pleased to add this ship to my half finished collection of the Northampton class cruisers.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next