The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:42 pm 

taskforce48 wrote:
MichelB and Pieter,

Bob,
Chicago is looking good so far, any luck on the brass barrels? Those turrets... er... I mean Gunhouses look pretty good. I went to post some pics of where I am at on my build and something went wrong with the camera as I downloading the pictures to the computer, now my camera is dead

Matt

no, no luck, I went with the kit parts, with a little work they turned out ok. I compared (visually) the photo of the Chicago with your shot of the different barrels. I hate to say it but the kit barrels look closer to prototype than the turned barrels. Take a look (split screen) of the shot of Chicago with the Tuscaloosa and your shot of the gunhouses with the different barrels and see the difference. I don't know if its just a photo effect or if they actually are closer to the originals.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:55 pm 

Bob Dedmon wrote:
no, no luck, I went with the kit parts, with a little work they turned out ok. I compared (visually) the photo of the Chicago with your shot of the different barrels. I hate to say it but the kit barrels look closer to prototype than the turned barrels. Take a look (split screen) of the shot of Chicago with the Tuscaloosa and your shot of the gunhouses with the different barrels and see the difference. I don't know if its just a photo effect or if they actually are closer to the originals.

I thought that at first when I compared them to the photos, they did seem a little on the thin side but I compared them to some 1/350 blue prints and the were spot on :scratch: Optical illusion maybe? Still I invested the money in them and it took me 20 minutes to get them set up vs the week or so having to straighten and file and sand the white metal ones, which when I was done would probably look just as thin as the brass ones. Oh well, still think yours turned out good and looking forward to updates.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
 Post subject: 1/350 Pola
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:24 am 

Here's some progress pics from the last few days. I use a folding dinner tray as a work area as I have no permanent work area for building...yet! So, with 4 curious cats and a VERY inquisitive and "helpful" 2 year old son, I have to put everything away at night before going to bed. :cry_3:

I've been working on cleaning up the hull, replacing the aft deck with Evergreen and extending the planked area further forward (as per diagrams), and trying to make something presentable out of the mess called the forward superstructure! My skill levels are limited, but I really have to try to help this poor kit! I've caught myself sitting staring at her, shaking my head and muttering that EVEN I can't make this any worse!!

We shall see about that!! :rolf_3:

Any advice or decent references would be appreciated!

Daniel Chavez

Attachments:
File comment: Portholes drilled out. I'm planning on putting her into a seascape.
rsz_img_7067.jpg
rsz_img_7067.jpg [ 86.98 KiB | Viewed 1442 times ]
File comment: Aft "Deckectomy". I increased the length of the planked area to match diagrams, so I lopped off a decent segment of the middle deck. It made me nervous until I saw that it was actually going to succeed! I've removed one of the barbettes, but still have one remaining, plus all the other deck "goodies" to replace.
rsz_1img_7066.jpg
rsz_1img_7066.jpg [ 94.93 KiB | Viewed 1442 times ]
File comment: Parts are dry-fitted. I removed the large "bands" that wrapped around the structure. I'm not sure what they were meant to be, but I certainly can't find any in the photos I've seen. So, they're GONE! I'm debating whether or not to replace the "crown" on top that's supposed to represent the top of the quadripod legs. Again, photos show that this was not solid. I've also sanded down all the tiny raised edges that were on all of the decks and platforms. I guess these were "railings". I'll be putting GMM railings on the ship. I've done a few more things, like opening the portholes and cutting openings for access to the "wings" below the director platforms.
rsz_img_7074.jpg
rsz_img_7074.jpg [ 80.02 KiB | Viewed 1442 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:36 am 

For those in the know, would the Deutschland class be considered cruisers or "pocket battleships" as they're called. Reason being is, I really want to give the 1/400 Lutzow a go with it's ridiculous camouflage scheme, as opposed to the 1/350 Admiral Hipper.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:07 am 

I feel that they would fall into a separate category than a true cruiser, I think they are as similar to traditional cruisers as a Battlecruiser like the Hood or the Scharnhorst would be.

Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:02 am 

taskforce48 wrote:
After looking, I did find that these images actually made it to the hard drive,

The first image shows the difference between the kit supplied white metal parts and B&D brass barrels installed
Attachment:
comp1.jpg

The next couple are a comparison between the B&D Mk 9 barrels and the Masters Mk 12
Attachment:
comp2.jpg

Attachment:
comp3.jpg

The last one is a comparison between the Northampton class Gunhouse with the Mk 9's and a San Francisco Turret with the Mk 12's fitted.
Attachment:
comp4.jpg

Hopefully more to come

Matt

being slightly bored at work I looked at the shots of the Mk 9 vs the Mk 12...it looks like all I'd have to have done with the Mk12 barrels was/is add the largest segment of the barrel at the proper length to replicate the barrels...maybe I'll try that with Louisville and/or Houston when I get to them (hopefully next year). I may have some more shots to post later this week. I had to back track a bit with the funnels, I removed them to add the catwalk near the top and still need to repaint them. The superstructure is mostly finished except for the weapons and the railing between the 40 MM tubs and the center. Things are moving along, I'm thinking I need to rework the water for the base on this build to improve on the water.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:01 pm 

Well, I think I got my camera up and running again, only problem is most of my build time was spent on fixing it :Mad_6: Anyway, here are a couple of shots of where I stand now with the Chicago, everything is just dryfitted at the the moment. The portholes in the hull all look filled in but this is not the case, they have just filled with dust from when I was sanding the Hull to get rid of some rough spots. I will be filling a bunch in but the Chicago still had quite a few of them in August of 42.
Attachment:
File comment: Here we see some further detailing to the forward gunhouses courtesy of GMM and WEM. The brass barrels really freak out my camera's auto flash for some reason?
chicagoguns.jpg
chicagoguns.jpg [ 146.58 KiB | Viewed 1358 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Here we see the overall look of where I am at right now.
chicagooverall.jpg
chicagooverall.jpg [ 138.52 KiB | Viewed 1358 times ]

Looking forward to seeing where everyone else is at.

Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:58 pm 

Great start Matt!...Lookin' good :thumbs_up_1:

Dave :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:10 pm 

I found my '44 Indianapolis resin kit and I have a big question. How do you fix a banana warp that keeps coming back? I baked this hull three times and screwed it down to a wood board but it's just banana'd again. This is frustrating.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:20 pm 

drdoom1337 wrote:
I found my '44 Indianapolis resin kit and I have a big question. How do you fix a banana warp that keeps coming back? I baked this hull three times and screwed it down to a wood board but it's just banana'd again. This is frustrating.

That sounds bad! :Mad_6:

If it stays straight with it screwed down on the board, then cut the board to size and build it up from the start as a diorama. Maybe you can do your water first and paint the Hull at the waterline and go from there.

Just a thought. :scratch:

Good Luck,
Mark

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:01 am 

Mark McKinnis wrote:
drdoom1337 wrote:

That sounds bad! :Mad_6:

If it stays straight with it screwed down on the board, then cut the board to size and build it up from the start as a diorama. Maybe you can do your water first and paint the Hull at the waterline and go from there.

Just a thought. :scratch:

Good Luck,
Mark

Mark,

I gave this a shot, still no dice, the stern starts to pop up. I might just ebay the kit I'm not a huge fan of Indy to be honest, and I could probably pick up a Richelieu with the money.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:37 pm 

Here are two in-progress shots of the Itsukushima, and an initial photo of the Iron Shipwrights 1/700 Brooklyn (armored cruiser) that I'm also building for the group build. The Brooklyn will keep me busy for a while, as almost everything needs to be scratchbuilt, cast, or modified!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/b ... CF2562.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/b ... CF2561.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/b ... CF2559.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/b ... CF2599.jpg

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:20 pm 

Lookin' good Bob!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

I think I'm going to go with either the Tsugaru or Okinoshima for my minelaying cruiser build.

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:11 am 

The Indy arrived at Christmas, PE soon after. Orders the warship pictorial for it, will arrive soon. Couldnt resist a mock up..

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:55 pm 

Here is the latest update on my 1/700 Chicago January 1943

I used Lion Roar 1/700 40 MM quad mounts less the shield...they seemed to work ok though they were a bit of a pain to work with. I scratch built the axillary stacks for the funnels and had to modify the catapults to get them to fit. Water and tripods are next.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:00 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
navydavesof wrote:
Echemmmmm....when is Keith Bender going to jump into this pool and make us all step up our games?

He isn't allowed to play in the shallow end anymore! :heh:

PS - That is a nod to Keith's considerable talents, and not a knock on anyone's skill level
Hmph, if you guys are in the shallow end, then I must be in the kiddie pool where the water doesn't go over the 2 foot mark. :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:43 pm 

Bob Dedmon wrote:
Here is the latest update on my 1/700 Chicago January 1943

Bob,
She sure is looking good! I thought some of these parts were small in 1/350, but in 1/700 I would be bald in no time.

JTninja wrote:
The Indy arrived at Christmas, PE soon after. Orders the warship pictorial for it, will arrive soon. Couldnt resist a mock up..

JT,
Good kit, I started it many years ago with the Tom's PE but it was just too small for me. Hey who doesn't enjoy a good mock up to get them motivated?

Quincy wrote:
I think I'm going to go with either the Tsugaru or Okinoshima for my minelaying cruiser build.

Bob P.
Either way should look good!

Bob Cicconi wrote:
Here are two in-progress shots of the Itsukushima, and an initial photo of the Iron Shipwrights 1/700 Brooklyn (armored cruiser) that I'm also building for the group build. The Brooklyn will keep me busy for a while, as almost everything needs to be scratchbuilt, cast, or modified!

Bobby C.
Looking good as usual!

drdoom1337 wrote:
Mark McKinnis wrote:
drdoom1337 wrote:

That sounds bad!

Just a thought.

Good Luck,
Mark

Mark,

I gave this a shot, still no dice, the stern starts to pop up. I might just ebay the kit I'm not a huge fan of Indy to be honest, and I could probably pick up a Richelieu with the money.

DrDoom,
That sucks about the Indy, wish I would have caught that Ebay auction as that was a steal. Have you settled on a Cruiser yet?

Dave Hill wrote:
Great start Matt!...Lookin' good

Dave

Thanks Dave, this is very encouraging words coming from you! I hold your builds to be very inspirational!

Ok now onto the update, Christmas kind of slowed me down a bit but I think I am back on track now.

I started the long process of filling portholes.
Attachment:
chicago6.jpg
chicago6.jpg [ 143.87 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

Very simple process but just tedious and time consuming

Some of the windows on the bridge were cast as solid resin
Attachment:
chicago8.jpg
chicago8.jpg [ 138.2 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

So I decided to try my luck at removing them
Attachment:
chicago9.jpg
chicago9.jpg [ 132.56 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

Luckily, they came out pretty easy except for the last one that I tried. That one came out easy too along with a piece of my finger :big_eyes:
Attachment:
chicago12.jpg
chicago12.jpg [ 134.68 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

So here is what the assembly looks like now with the windows removed.

What do you suppose this is going to become?
Attachment:
chicago5.jpg
chicago5.jpg [ 85.41 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

I wasn't too happy with the white metal gun director that sits atop the fighting top, so I tried my hand at scratchbuilding a new one and voila!
Attachment:
chicago14.jpg
chicago14.jpg [ 115.9 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

Please disregard the "Glue Booger" stuck to the botom of the Mk.3, I didn't notice this until after the photos were taken but will come off easy

Here is the answer to the question earlier
Attachment:
chicago10.jpg
chicago10.jpg [ 143.76 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

The white metal fighting top was just being a nightmare to clean and it was solid so it didn't look right. So I put together a new one, it may not be perfect but I think it looks better than the kit piece.
Attachment:
chicago11.jpg
chicago11.jpg [ 137.59 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

So here is an overall shot of where I stand today. I did go and cut out her display base and secure her via a screw through the #1 barbette.
Attachment:
chicago13.jpg
chicago13.jpg [ 119.87 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 pm 

Nice work Matt!! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:32 am 

taskforce48 wrote:
JT,
Good kit, I started it many years ago with the Tom's PE but it was just too small for me. Hey who doesn't enjoy a good mock up to get them motivated?

Yea, the PE is very small and the instructions are confusing at best :heh: The kit itself fits nearly perfectly, Ive been very happy with it so far. I recieved the Warship Pictorial for help, and by doing so, Im being forced against my will to correct the ship for a '44 build :big_grin:

Chicago looks great so far!

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:22 am 

Nice bit of scratch work on that gun director and fighting top Matt!...what did you use for the window frames?

Dave :wave_1:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next