The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:33 am 

Little by little my build comes along, too! Pictured below is the most controversial Mk71 8"/60caliber ModX MCLWG fitted in the bow of the DDG-51 DDV8 variant.

I think it looks pretty nice!
Attachment:
smallDDV8 001.jpg
smallDDV8 001.jpg [ 102.16 KiB | Viewed 1957 times ]

Attachment:
smallDDV8 006.jpg
smallDDV8 006.jpg [ 66.34 KiB | Viewed 1957 times ]

Attachment:
SMALLDDV8 007.jpg
SMALLDDV8 007.jpg [ 103.24 KiB | Viewed 1957 times ]

I based the positioning of the mount and VLS as faithfully to the Gibbs&Cox study for how the Mk71 could be installed aboard the Arleigh Burke-class. Here you can see better how much room is between the VLS arrangement and the gun.
Attachment:
SMALLDDV8 008.jpg
SMALLDDV8 008.jpg [ 114.26 KiB | Viewed 1956 times ]

Here is the single helo hanger with its RAST track running from the middle of the landing pad into the hanger.
Attachment:
smallDDV8 002.jpg
smallDDV8 002.jpg [ 107.69 KiB | Viewed 1956 times ]

This is a great group build project. I hope people are enjoying it as much as I am! Questions or comments are welcome :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:03 am 

Good morning all

Since I've completed my USS Charles F. Hughes for the Return of the Destroyer build, I've decided to enter this one as well. I have started the build the USS Reuben James (FFG 57) by Acadamy. I have already run into problems with the fit of the hull add-on, it's about and 1/8th of in inch to short. Well, too every build a little rain must fall.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:05 am 

Well,

I finally have my 1/700 SCB-27C Hancock done which completes half of the project. Airwing to follow. I had a set back with my son's Birthday Party, but I stripped down the deck and re-did it. The base kit is the ISW SCB-27A Essex kit and I did some scratch buildine to move the stbd aft gun platform and built the stbd deck edge elevator. The deck is from Nautilus and had some really nice detail with the steam cats before all of the sanding had to be done.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:09 pm 

Mark,

Great looking carier. Your builds get better with everyone you do. What kind of aircraft to you have planned for her deck?

"Then there was one patched-up carrier...."
Vice Admiral Thomas A. Kinkaid

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:05 pm 

Looking Great Mark :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: I agree completely with Gordon about your carriers improving with each you build,

I am looking forward to seeing CVG-12 embarked.

Happy Modeling

John

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:08 am 

Thanks John and Gordon,

The airwing will be CVG-12, 1956. (12) F9F-8 Cougers, (5) F7U-3 Cutlass, (9)AD-6 Skyraiders,(2) F2H Banshees, and a couple of AJ-2 Savages. Dragon's replacement part people helped me with some extra F7Us from the Antietam kit. I am putting together scraps of white decals from several kits to mark the airwing correctly. The Cutlass and Banshees are going to be silver and the rest are blue. CVG-12 had not really gotten too far into teh changing of teh aircraft from blue to grey over white on Hancock. I am thinking about taking some artistic liscense on the Cougers to do them grey over white just to demonstrate the change plus I could do decals on the computer for those.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:34 pm 

You could always do one squadron of Cougars Blue and the other Grey and White, it is going to look good whatever you choose with the different aircraft embarked.
Still a really big hole that needs filling with regards to late 40's/50's and 60's aircraft, i am going to try and scratch a HUP-2

Happy Modeling

John

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:06 pm 

I made some progress on the Long Beach this week. I still have a long way to go.
Three months down and three more to go.

Attachment:
Long Beach 011.jpg
Long Beach 011.jpg [ 125.19 KiB | Viewed 1804 times ]

Saturday 7/16/2011

Today, I ruined the landing area decal while trying to install it. Sent Dragon care an e-m to see if I can get a replacement.

This is just a small setback.

Last edited by Gordon Bjorklund on Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 am 

Mark, nice work on Hanna. A colorful airwing would be nice to see on board. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:17 pm 

I received my replacement decals from DragonCare today in the mail. The cost was $10.00 with postage included and it took just a week to get..

Today I put the helo-pad decal on and almost messed it up again. It would be nice if Dragon made larger sheets with more room in between the decals and "NO" decals inside other decals!!!!
Attachment:
Long Beach 012.jpg
Long Beach 012.jpg [ 142.02 KiB | Viewed 1740 times ]

The missiles were spray painted gloss white first and the area between the fins was painted using a piece of wire. I don't have a super small paint brush. The wire was actually to stiff, which made making a straight line hard to do on the curved missile body. I would do one missile and then shake the paint up to keep it flowing off of the wire and then do another one until all six were done.

Attachment:
Long Beach 015.jpg
Long Beach 015.jpg [ 67.74 KiB | Viewed 1740 times ]

The little windows were also hard for me to do. I used the same wire held by a clothespin to paint them also.

Attachment:
Long Beach 016.jpg
Long Beach 016.jpg [ 55.75 KiB | Viewed 1740 times ]

Next are the hull numbers and ship's boats.

I needed to make some flag bags also for the Long Beach.

Attachments:
File comment: I made them with a radar screen (piece of ladder would work also) and a piece of .040x.040 plastic strip. The screen and or ladder keep the holes evenly spaced,
Long Beach 018.jpg
Long Beach 018.jpg [ 51.34 KiB | Viewed 1717 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:05 pm 

I now have a majority of the railings on and the Long Beach just needs some ladders and the ship's boats installed and the rest of the railings forward to be finished.
Attachment:
Long Beach 020.jpg
Long Beach 020.jpg [ 139.41 KiB | Viewed 1691 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:31 am 

Haven't posted much, a long way to go and a wood deck coming soon!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:14 am 

drdoom1337 wrote:
My man, Dr. Doom! This looks like it's going to be one killer representation of an Iowa. I can't wait to see more!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:55 am 

navydavesof wrote:
drdoom1337 wrote:
My man, Dr. Doom! This looks like it's going to be one killer representation of an Iowa. I can't wait to see more!!!

Thank you, for those interested I'm using a combination of GMM, Flagship, and the Flyhawk Missouri ultra set. I really need to go to PC Richards and get a camera, the quality on my picture phone is terrible. The hardest time I'm having is deciding which wood deck to buy, I think I want to get teak and maybe stain it even further to look very wet. I want to display NJ in the Mediterranean perhaps with a Trafalgar class sub next to it. (Did any of those serve in the Med in the 80's?)

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:44 am 

Gordon,

That is good news about getting a replacement decal. I ruined mine and ended up painting the replacement freehand. Managed to hide the problem with a net thankfully. Your ship looks a little too top heavy for my taste, I don't think I'd want to be on it in bad weather.

DrDoom,

Judging by your progress, are you going to have enough time to build your Udaloy?

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:33 pm 

The USS Long Beach is now done and it's completion marks the end of my 1/700 model building. Unless...
Attachment:
Long Beach 021.jpg
Long Beach 021.jpg [ 147.26 KiB | Viewed 1628 times ]

Attachment:
Long Beach 023.jpg
Long Beach 023.jpg [ 145.29 KiB | Viewed 1628 times ]

Attachment:
Long Beach 024.jpg
Long Beach 024.jpg [ 148.73 KiB | Viewed 1628 times ]

Attachment:
Long Beach 022.jpg
Long Beach 022.jpg [ 79.8 KiB | Viewed 1628 times ]

It was fun being part of this Group Build. Looking forward to seeing your completed models.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:00 pm 

California Bound wrote:
Gordon,

That is good news about getting a replacement decal. I ruined mine and ended up painting the replacement freehand. Managed to hide the problem with a net thankfully. Your ship looks a little too top heavy for my taste, I don't think I'd want to be on it in bad weather.

DrDoom,

Judging by your progress, are you going to have enough time to build your Udaloy?

Dan.

Probably not to be honest. I haven't bought photo etch or paint for that kit yet anyway. To be honest I really want to build a European WWII ship after this NJ. I'm thinking of breaking out my KGV kit, I'm desperately trying to trade or buy a Richelieu or British warship in 1/400-1/350

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:01 pm 

Dr Doom,

Sorry to hear that. I guess the Russian Navy will have to proceed at half strength then. I was looking forward to seeing another Udaloy. I think it's a great looking ship, especially in 1/350. I was surprised to only find one example in the gallery and one example in the completed section of the forum on this entire site.

It's always nice when you can build something you're really interested in while being in the mood for it at the same time. Good luck on your search.

I'm kind of partial to a 1/350 Roma myself. Just for the change of color I think. SWMBO would never go for it. So, I can easily resist the purchase. :big_grin:

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:07 pm 

The Roma is on my list of soon-to-be purchased. Along with the ISW New Mexico. I'm Italian so I'm extremely partial hahaha

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:17 pm 

Oh and it's older self says hello :wave_1:

That kit used to look really great but my mother knocked it over, it will be repaired / replaced one day!

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next