The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:27 am 

I picked out and just started my entry. It's the 1/700 Skywave HMS Exeter D89, Type 42 Batch 2 destroyer. I'll post a few photos of the kit and in-progress shortly. I'll be adding the WEM PE detail kit for that ship also. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 am 

Hey Bob: I always thought that you were a "Warm War" Era builder? :heh: :heh:

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:34 pm 

Hey everyone,

Question, I have had some pretty passionate pleas about being allowed to enter a barely started kit that some one has in their stash. Now when I wrote up the rules I was pretty explicit in the "must be started on the 15th of April or after" figuring that it would help keep a level playing field as far as the contest goes. But being the somewhat sorta maybe could be mistaken for a nice guy that I am, I am going to put it out there for a vote amongst you the participants as to if you feel that this would be ok to allow a started kit as long as the kit has had the dead minimum done to it.

Examples being:

Hull sanded and some details removed already to allow for scratchbuilding

Decks glued down, no sanding or anything else done to kit

And in an extreme and isolated case of someone not noticing the start date, starting several superstructure sections and adding some after market pieces.

I will leave it up to you guys, if you feel this to be unfair then that is fine. I have no pull in either direction, I just want this to be a build where everyone has a good time. The build does start only 5 days from now!

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:43 pm 

Matt,

I joined this GB because I thought that I would have fun doing it. That said, I have followed the rules that you put in place at the beginning and will do until Friday the 15th with the exception of putting the kit in a wash tub on Wednesday and soaking over night and then on Thursday it will be washed and then set out to dry for friday.

It will not bother me at all if someone else gets to enters the GB with a started kit. If the goal is to have fun building a model ship, then I say let them.

Matt, you are a nice guy but more than being nice you are lucky. You have beautiful and charming wife who will drive three and a half hours with you to a model show and contest, let you buy what you want, sit through a USN camouflage seminar, hang out with you while you talk to other ship modelers about modeling ship and then have another three and a half hour drive home. Yes sir, I would say that you are lucky.

"Then there was one patched-up carrier...."
Vice Admiral Thomas A. Kinkaid

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:46 pm 

I dont have a problem with entries that are barely started, but if they have a bit of work done, maybe have that noted when being judged as a negative mark or something? This is a fun build and the goal is to get these ships built. :big_grin:

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:52 am 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

In my opinion, "Rules are Rules". But also, "Rules Were Made To Be Broken." I don't mind obeying the rules but, I also don't mind if the rules are bent for others.

I'd like to know if this model is too, far along to enter in this GB? :heh: :heh:

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:27 am 

Nice to see some activity on this thread in anticipation of the build beginning. Will open my boxes after taxes are filed, and use any federal refund on additional PE required for my build(s)!

I'm going to build IJN Nashi/JMSDF Wakaba at three or four distinct phases of her career. IJN DE, JMSDF training ship, and JMSDF radar trial ship. May even attempt an as sunk/salvaged diorama. Will officially enter her in her trial ship role in this build.

Lots of firsts ahead for me - first multiship build for side-by-side comparison a ship's evolution. First extensive use of PE - never done railings before. Perhaps first water-based diorama as well.

Here is a photo of the relevent kits from Pit Road. Nashi is the sixth ship of the Tachibana Class. PR released the JMSDF Wakaba in a regular and enhanced PE version, which upgrades the mast and radars, among other items (no rails included in the set, however!). I'll build the training ship from the non-upgraded kit, and the radar trial ship from the PE version.

Have ordered the Ships of the World edition that covers the Nashi/Wakaba throughout her career; Model Art Special also has a recent article dedicated to the new PR kits.

Attachments:
Models 41011 017.JPG
Models 41011 017.JPG [ 38.64 KiB | Viewed 1474 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:31 pm 

I agree with what others have stated.. this is for fun.. as in my case.. my first build for myself in a very long time....
I would to thank several people who have inspired and helped with various ? (CARR, Cliffy-B, Navydave, Admiral-hawk...)
and of course our host for this build..
Good luck to everyone....

Bruce aka ex-navy...

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:28 am 

Hi, guys! Seeing how this would offer forgiveness and leniency to mentally handicapped people like myself I would like to put my vote down as: yes, please allow just started builds in! I would love to add my subject to the contest if allowed. :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:52 pm 

Image I'm in. 1/350 scratchbuild papercard Tico.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:12 pm 

My Veteran 3"50's have arrived and they look very nice. It will be difficult not to touch them until tomorrow...

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:12 pm 

Hmmmmmmmmmm..........................

If we are allowed to use a kit that got a small start, then I would be compelled to chnage my entry to the 1/700 SCB-27C Essex Class ( either the Tico or Intrepid 1956) that I did some cutting on some time ago and set aside because I already have too many airwings going. But, for the Cold War Build........................

I could be compelled to get her off of the shelf. :thumbs_up_1:

What Say You???????????????????????? :faint:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:31 am 

taskforce48 wrote:
Question, I have had some pretty passionate pleas about being allowed to enter a barely started kit that some one has in their stash.

Good afternoon, Matt!

So, what say you? :big_grin:

I look forward to the voice of the Great Arbiter

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:58 am 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

Today is the Day!!

Ready!.........................Set!..............................Go.!!!!!!!!

Ooops!..............False Start. :doh_1:

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:01 pm 

Four builds of the IJN Nashi/JMSDF Wakaba, in distinct phases of her career.

Kits:

Pitroad SPW05, IJN Destroyer Kaki (5th ship in Tachibana Class). This kit comes with a small fret of PE: antenna, AA guns, depth charge rack, radar, etc. Same frets and instructions as kit below.

Pitroad W77, IJN Destroyer Tachibana (1st ship in class). No PE.

2 frets for both of these kits - a generic weapons fret for this class as of WWII, and a second fret with hull, bridge, etc. Notably, this second fret contains alternate bridge for later JMSDF Wakaba, although cast-on deck features and aft superstructure are not identical between the two. But this fret bridges the ships career between IJN and JMSDF.

IJN Nashi was the 6th ship in class, built in Kobe. She was sunk in mid-1945, and then raised and refitted, the subject of the two later builds here. Interesting to note that many ships in this class survived the war, served repatriation duties, or were transferred to foreign navies, including UK, China, and Russia. Perhaps some interesting modeling there.

Pitroad J38, JMSDF Wakaba, to be built as unarmed training ship, her first career post salvage.

Pitroad J38E, IJN Destroyer Wakaba, with PE: will be build as radar trial ship, with SPS-12 and SPS-8B radar units in radar trial ship role. PE for this kit includes radar units and masts, davits and mine racks. No railings.

These latter kits contain an alternate deck layout to Tachibana Class above, but the rest of the main fret is common to the Tachibana Class, above. Second fret is an early JMSDF weapons and radar fit.

Tonight, basic poking around in the kit boxes, review of instructions, initial assembly of waterline plate and hull. Initial airbrushing of Wakaba decks and hulls and dryfitting of Wakaba bridges in both incarnations. I expect I will build the Nashi first, then the Wakabas, and then come back and attempt a diorama of a sunken/salvaged Nashi. Waiting for Ships of the World edition that covers this vessel to arrive by mail; purchased on Ebay.

I'd welcome some tips as to supplemental PE (railings, in particular) for this ship in IJN or JMSDF guise.

Here's a comparison of the two hulls (Wakaba on right).

Attachments:
Wakaba 049.JPG
Wakaba 049.JPG [ 45.5 KiB | Viewed 1316 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:12 pm 

Re Nashi/Wakaba:

Photos of hulls, sprues, and PE. The latter scares me. Hoping you all here can talk me through this component of the build!

Wakaba hull and sprues first, then Nashi hull and sprues, then Wakaba PE followed by Nashi PE:

Attachments:
Wakaba 053.JPG
Wakaba 053.JPG [ 42.37 KiB | Viewed 1315 times ]
Wakaba 054.JPG
Wakaba 054.JPG [ 39.95 KiB | Viewed 1315 times ]
Wakaba 056.JPG
Wakaba 056.JPG [ 37.31 KiB | Viewed 1315 times ]
Wakaba 058.JPG
Wakaba 058.JPG [ 38.55 KiB | Viewed 1315 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:53 pm 

Long Beach started.

Attachment:
USS Long Beach CGN-9 008.jpg
USS Long Beach CGN-9 008.jpg [ 120.46 KiB | Viewed 1313 times ]

"Then there was one patched-up carrier...."
Vice Admiral Thomas A. Kinkaid

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:58 am 

Well, cool guys! Really looking forward to these Cold War builds! How much fun is this going to be?!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:09 am 

Ok, well the 15th has come and pretty much gone, I see a couple of you have already taken off out of the gate. My apologies for not responding to some of you sooner, work has taken an unpleasant bite out of life for the last few days leaving little time anything else. Looks like no one had any objections to allow a couple of their fellow modelers to use partly/barely started kits so I guess they are in.

Mark, please PM me the details of your started kit and I will see if it falls into the guidelines of the other allowed started kits, sort of sounds like it does.

Gordon and D-boy, Great start gents! And Gordon, I never thought flattery would work so well :wink_3.gif I count myself very lucky in finding a wife who allows me to indulge in my hobby, I assure you though it comes at a price. :heh:

I look forward to everyones builds, and hope all the anticipation will help us along for this 6-month odyssey.

Well now off to the fun!

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:29 am 

I'll bite then.
Belknap taken out of its cylinder. Hull primed and some platforms removed using Navsource pictures from the early 1970's as reference.
Attachment:
hullprimeda.JPG
hullprimeda.JPG [ 127.31 KiB | Viewed 1293 times ]

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next