The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 am 

USS GEARING, 1/350TH, Dragon.

Continueing work on the AA weapons. The twin & quad 40mm are turning into nice models, a bit fiddly, but getting there.

The twin 20mm are less fun. and to be honest the barrels look a bit chunky. I am comming to the opinion that I may replace the kit parts with L'arsenal units, as I think they will look finer.

The kit units are a very good try, but the sight and magazines are so small, and the barrels difficult to align and the end result looks a bit stubby and overscale.

Heres some under construction on the sprue

More progress soon

Si

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gary Griffith wrote:
The kits open 5 inch mount trunions are too short. The gun would not be able to elevate past 45 degrees not to mention reaching the required 89 degrees of the real weapons. The L'arsonal 5 inch 38s are much closer in the required trunion hieght.

Gary is correct here. On the original CAD and the gun will elevate throughout it's range. However when the plastic parts were made the deck was thickened to make it practical for injection molding and the resulting thickness was added to the height of the deck. The trunnions were shortened accordingly and the result is a part that interferes with the floor of the mount. The L'Arsenal mounts are very nice and have a deck that is closer to scale thickness.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:46 pm 

1/350 Marshal Shaposhnikov

Hi everybody,

A couple weeks ago or so, I started working on what I am going to call the rear sub assembly. (Everything on the lower main deck). Things did not go well. Just about everything that could go wrong, did.

I sprayed the gray and then gloss clear coated in order to try a wash to bring out the details around the control room. The wash wouldn't come off.

I redid the gray and mixed a custom color for the deck. It's more red than I wanted, but will be ok. First batch for the air brush was too thin, and second was too thick. Finally done and clear glossed again.

Applied deck helo decal. It went on crooked and wrinkled, no big deal though, plenty of water on the deck to slide it around. Nope... It went straight through the water and immediately bonded to the deck. It wouldn't budge. I had to scrape it off with a knife and repaint the deck. The result was lumpy and didn't look good close up. Thankfully, the cargo net covers most of the area and hides the lumps.

Any way, I didn't give up, and am glad to be able to say that the rear sub assembly is completely done.

For Posh specific changes:

Discarded the resupply equipment.
Discarded the building from the roof of the hanger.
Discarded the large middle ledge from the sides of the hanger (between the antenna ledges).
Moved the life preservers.
Added another pair of spot lights on control room below the windows.
Added antennas (looks like Posh needs 6 but could only locate 5 of them for sure).
Should have removed most boxes from hanger doors but didn't.

For general improvements:

Added assorted vertical supports.(not located completely accurately)
Added protective barrier wall to leading edge of life raft canister area.
Extended deck stripes to base of hanger doors.
Should have added diagonal supports to cross sword base but didn't.
Should have added pole (and possibly cone shaped wind direction flag) but didn't.

This is my first time building a Trumpeter clear helicopter. I didn't like it.

I didn't want to risk another wash mistake, so all shadows are drawn on with a pencil.

I would have used the more open square patterned design of the GMM cargo net, but the WE net is a little bigger and it's diamond patterned design is more dense and helped to hide the lumpy paint better.

On to the pics. Just sitting on the hull for now.

I think the next area to work on will be the middle sub assembly. (from the forward stack back to the crane area)

Thanks for looking,

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:40 am 
USS Farenholt (DD-491) 1/350

Now is my turn to drop my first post in this topic. :wave_1:
The work on the hull is done. I have corrected a little bit the shape of the bow and the after body. Portholes are drilled (after painting they will fitted with "glass")
Image Image Image
The new bilge keels and rudder are ready. Propeller struts are well shaped
Image Image Image Image

Aft superstructure
All finishing and fine tuning are made basing on the Bailey drawings and Farenholt pictures.
Image Image

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:03 pm 

Hello,

Nice clean work on USS Farenholt up there! Same on Marshal Shaposhnikov :thumbs_up_1:

I worked on my boats
Attachment:
kaba_32.jpg
kaba_32.jpg [ 121.59 KiB | Viewed 3365 times ]

and deck details
Attachment:
kaba_33.jpg
kaba_33.jpg [ 125.95 KiB | Viewed 3365 times ]

Presentation of the kit :big_grin: time for painting now...
Attachment:
kaba_34.jpg
kaba_34.jpg [ 136.74 KiB | Viewed 3365 times ]

Bye.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:28 pm 

I've been working on this for a couple of months now. It is the Pit-Road IJN Kagero with the Lion Roar PE set.

Attachments:
HPIM3445.JPG
HPIM3445.JPG [ 57.98 KiB | Viewed 3355 times ]
HPIM3446.JPG
HPIM3446.JPG [ 55.68 KiB | Viewed 3355 times ]
HPIM3447.JPG
HPIM3447.JPG [ 116.67 KiB | Viewed 3355 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:53 pm 

FARENHOLT,

If you are doing the version of the ship with a quad 1.1-in mount, remove the Mk 51 director on the single 20-mm side (portside). DML instructions are wrong about installing two Mk 51 directors. The portside director wasn't installed, that was intended for when the two twin 40-mm mounts were installed. Actually, the units with the quad 1.1-in mounts first operated without an director until about September 1942 due to no Mk 51 directors being available. Normally a Ready Use Ammo "Cabinet" was installed about where the director was to be on that side for the single 20-mm gun. From the August 1942 photo of FARENHOLT, the cabinet was more inboard than on EMMONS.

It is entirely up to you how you wish to build your model, I'm just pointing out how the ship really was configured. There is no ready ammo cabinet in the kit, but building a "box" isn't too hard.

FARENHOLT (DD-491) on 18 April 1942. Note cabinet with the doors facing outboard and no Mk 51 director on the portside.

FARENHOLT (DD-491) on 24 August 1942. She appears to be in the same configuration as in April 1942. Whether a Mk 51 director was installed on the starboard side by this time can't be determined from this view.

EMMONS (DD-458) in November 1942 showing the cabinet in better detail, except in a different location an orientation.

Attachments:
DD458closeup2-Nov42.jpg
DD458closeup2-Nov42.jpg [ 120.36 KiB | Viewed 3351 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:28 pm 

Those are some great looking turrets you've built ajkochev.

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:26 pm 

Hi everybody,

Thanks moomoon, I'm trying to keep it clean.

I was thinking about the things I listed last week that I didn't do. Mostly, it was just a case of poor planning and order of assembly on my part. However, I realized that I didn't have any reason to not try the pole and wind direction thing. So I went ahead and did it this week. It's not quite what I had in mind and I'm tempted to take it back off but here it is. Also, the large windows being open looked strange to me, so I filled them with some Kristal Klear.

I jumped ahead a little and did the main missile launchers. From what I can tell, all the ships of the class have them numbered this way. Only the Udaloy variant Chabanenko is numbered completely differently.

The front stack is finished. I don't think I've seen anyone use the GMM vent covers yet, so this is what they look like for anyone wondering. They don't have the louvered look of the original plastic, but I think the over all increase in depth in the vent is an improvement. I've saved a little time by not installing ones where they can't be seen. So that's 14 less on the front stack and 8 less on each rear stack. In the case of Posh, the small platform near the top of each stack on the outside, with extra electronics, has been discarded and all mounting tabs removed.

I was worried about how to not cover all the details around the crane with too much paint. As it turns out, this is another area where the class varies from ship to ship. Posh has almost nothing on the deck near the crane, so it all got scraped off. The only changes I have to do is add a couple more long antennae, turn the boat rack sideways (already done), and replace the row boat with a motor boat.(still working on that part though). Something of a little interest is that from what I can tell by the pictures, Trumpeter has gotten the two narrow decks that are between the two rear stacks wrong.

This is how I've changed the two narrow decks. Pictures clearly show a wall going up from the crane deck to the first narrow deck. They also seem to hang long tarps from higher up sometimes. I've completely removed the upper of the two platforms and used it to make both walls. This is a complete guess on my part. I can't find any definite pictures, but ones I've seen appear to give a sense of complete openness when a person stands at the base of the crane area and looks up towards the top end of the boom. So that's why I've removed the upper deck.

Hopefully I can finish this sub assembly next week. I considered skipping ahead to the bow area, but that isn't going to be as straight forward as I had thought, so I'll finish this area first.

Thanks for looking.

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 pm 

Here are some shots of my current state. I shelved the Monssen for a little while as I didn't have a base to work on after I got the main ship finished. As you can see below the base is in work and the main form of the ship is assembled. I have scratch built both masts but I'm waiting to mount the ship before I install them. The director is finished as well and is waiting as well.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:01 pm 

With the recent announcement by Loose Cannon of them presenting 1:700 resin kits of the Spaulding class and two other WWI DD's, I will not scratchbuild it, but just present a nice clean build of one of these ships as soon as I get them!

All the contestants so far look fantastic!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:10 pm 

I have to pick up the pace on my build... only 2.5 months left!

Looking great so far guys.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:37 pm 

Due to other commitments taking up most of my time (wife's honey do on the house) I am not getting to spend the time on the Revell 4-stacker required to make it a winner.

Is it possible to change my build? I have a 1/350 Dragon USS Spruance that I would like to build to represent a ship late in it's career. I just started it this evening, and it would take much less attention and allow me to stay in the group build. Let me know.

Thanks

Currently in the dock:
1/350 Prinz Eugen
1/350 USS Missouri
1/350 Spruance Class
1/350 HMS King George V

In the Stash:
Cutty Sark
Box Scale USS Missouri - Gift

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:01 pm 

Hi everybody,

Progress continues. The middle sub assembly is almost complete. Those stack grills took longer than I thought they would.

I've taken some liberties in placement of railings and life boat canisters since I don't have any pictures of this area of Posh. I've added metal rod bits further forward in order to force the walls of the forward superstructure to be out closer to the edge of the deck. The kit walls curve in a little too much. I've added a little bracket above the life preserver for later rigging. And I've added support poles for the overhanging platform at the AK 630. I can't seem to get the poles as close to where they appear that they should be relative to the railing, so I suspect that the platform is shaped wrong. But I'm not going to do anything about it.

The main mast is done. Luckily it has minimal rigging. You can't see it, but I've added a bracket similar the the one in the other pic for later rigging also.

In the crane area, just about everything is done. All I still have to do is add some ladder detail to the crane itself, and do the motorboat. I had planned to have this sub assembly done this week, but didn't make it. Hopefully they wont take too long so that I can start the bow sub assembly.

As always, thanks for looking.

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:26 am 

Fletcher wrote:
Due to other commitments taking up most of my time (wife's honey do on the house) I am not getting to spend the time on the Revell 4-stacker required to make it a winner.

Is it possible to change my build? I have a 1/350 Dragon USS Spruance that I would like to build to represent a ship late in it's career. I just started it this evening, and it would take much less attention and allow me to stay in the group build. Let me know.

Thanks

As long as it represents the ship after January 1992, no problem.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:17 pm 

Thanks, this ship will take much less overhaul work than I want to put into the RJ. And I will make it a post 1992 ship for sure.

Currently in the dock:
1/350 Prinz Eugen
1/350 USS Missouri
1/350 Spruance Class
1/350 HMS King George V

In the Stash:
Cutty Sark
Box Scale USS Missouri - Gift

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:18 pm 

Location: turning into a power-hungry Yamato-models-munching monster... buahahahaha...
Ok, I'll throw my hat into the ring as well.

The other day I got myself a German WW1 torpedo boat in 1/400 by Mirage - and perhaps I'll actually manage to finish it... :big_grin:

The box:

Attachment:
V_105_1.jpg
V_105_1.jpg [ 87.54 KiB | Viewed 3084 times ]

The box art is slightly anachronistic in that it supposedy shows V 106 during WW1 (after the war it went to Poland), but in the background you can see one of the Reichsmarine's predreadnoughts after a mid-20s refit.

The kit is actually pretty decent with good fit and detail. Originally I wanted to build it oob, but then decided to open up the portholes:

Attachment:
V_105_2.jpg
V_105_2.jpg [ 47.43 KiB | Viewed 3084 times ]

From then on it was all downhill...

That is an already modified version of the kit's bridge - I cut away the bridge wing railing and the bridge windows, which were embossed in rather thickish plastic; the plan was to insert a little bit of PE for the bridge windows and leave it at that.

Attachment:
V_105_6.jpg
V_105_6.jpg [ 48.91 KiB | Viewed 3084 times ]

In the end I decided to push it a little bit further, add a little bit more PE and replace the bridge front with a scratchbuilt piece.

Attachment:
V_105_8.jpg
V_105_8.jpg [ 51.16 KiB | Viewed 3084 times ]

The chart house is not glued down, hence the gaps. Also, closeup shows a multitude of sins which I eventually hope to hide under paint. It doesn't look that dreadful in reality... :big_grin:

Putting it onto the hull, and it looks like that:

Attachment:
V_105_13.jpg
V_105_13.jpg [ 70.1 KiB | Viewed 3084 times ]

So far an enjoyable project. The bridge still needs a lot of attention, particularly the interior. Something needs to be done about the guns and the deck fittings, but October is still far away - or so it seems... :big_grin:

Jorit

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:22 am 

Jorit,

That is 100% better than what you started out with. That does seem to be the standard procedure for photo etch. A piece here, a piece there, next thing you know it's glued all over your model, you, and anything else it can find. :)

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:08 pm 

Hi everybody,

After delaying the build of the spare motor boat for a while, I finally got around to it. The probable motor boat in the photos appears to be closer in size to the smaller of the two included boats, so I needed a spare. Using quick setting epoxy putty, I made a mold of the hull, then the superstructure, and finally filled the mold with more putty, and made a duplicate boat. It's very crude and simple, but will work great. Especially since it's supposed to be covered.

Here is the finished boat in place. The canvas cover is made from aluminum foil.

With that done, the middle sub assembly is done. The other motor boats will be added later on, so now its on to the bow sub assembly.

The color for the forward S.A.M. launcher varies from ship to ship. That part I got right, but forward of the launcher is a guess based on blurry pictures. The kit comes with a pair of searchlights that are supposed to go on top of the launcher. I realized early on that Posh doesn't have those lights, so they are the ones that I used for the pair that I needed on the hanger deck control room.

I don't like the molded on chains, so I always planned to scrape them off and replace them with real chain. My plan for this ship was to try something new and also make the smaller secondary chains that grab the primary chain. Photos show that Trumpeter got this detail wrong. There should only be a single secondary chain on the outer side of each primary chain. Not two secondaries per primary.

As I continued to look at the photos, I noticed something else I had never heard of before, and that is elevated chains. The more I thought about it, the more I knew that I had to try and incorporate this new feature. A plastic square, rectangle, round rod, and wire, and it was all done. The black ones are actually supposed to be shaped differently, and do a different job, but I just made four of the gray type and painted two of them black.

Lastly, I added chain guide poles to the barriers around the chaff launchers. I also went and drilled out the series of holes in those barriers. The holes aren't spaced evenly, but the chains hide most of that from view. I also ended up having to glue the right side barrier back together. I stuck my finger with the drill bit and when I flinched, the piece broke in half.

Now I guess I can start the primary superstructure sub assembly.

Thanks for looking,

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:08 am 

Guest, nice looking work on Farenholt. How 'bout joining up and registering. You'd be right at home here!

Bob

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next