The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:46 am 

If your looking for pictures of Russian subs this cite is the best i found ..... however it is all in Russian .... so if you have Google chrome turn on auto translate , then go the the search but since the cite is in Russian you wont be able to type in English words cause the search engine wont recognized it so just type in the project number like for the Lada class which is Project 677 just type in 677 in the search bar and look for the number in the results there are tons of pics and a ton of rare and in depth photos

http://forums.airbase.ru/viewforum.php?id=25&p=2

hope it works for you :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:59 pm 

Hello , Does anyone know if the windows on 1/350 OKB Lada class are wrong? they look just off to me any ideas?

Attachments:
lada.jpg
lada.jpg [ 94.45 KiB | Viewed 9746 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:03 pm 

Looks like they're too narrow:
http://warfare.ru/image.aspx?img=0702ey ... /677-3.jpg
http://www.nen186.com/Image/201005031950571449.jpg

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:48 pm 

Hi everybody,

Here is a little more progress on my typhoon.

After getting the two sides basically shaped, I added plastic card between them and then filled the edges with putty. (Ignore the arrow on the plastic card, it's just there for me to keep track of which end of the card I wanted to be at the back.)

And here it is with the left side sanded down just about right. In the process of sanding, I did break off the wood prop shaft, but that's ok. I only really needed it there for now in order to get the correct length of the plastic card which had to extend stightly further back than the base of the shaft. I'll probably break off the other one as well while I sand. I'll just reattach them later, when they're needed again.

I got tired of having the others sitting around waiting for paint, so I went ahead and worked on them as well. I tried a couple ideas and color experiments with very limited success and will try to improve on them when painting the typhoon.

So here is a picture of my side projects which are nearly complete now.

And a picture of their nose decals. Two of which I had to make myself. They aren't as nice as the professional one on the Borei class but they're still good enough for me.

Thanks for looking,

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:55 pm 

nice collection of subs... :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:13 pm 

Hello guys I’m in a bit of a mess I would like to enter some good old Russian subs but I’m in trouble I have been trying to get into Resin ships but none of them come with decals. I have never done resin before now and didn’t know they don’t come with decals. I’m not skilled enough to paint some of the details on the ships like, the white window frames the white rings and the red and white hatches and other odds and ends. I bought some DVD to make your decals but I just can’t get anything to work on it despite it being a month :mad_1: . Does anyone make their own decals or know how to do so? If anyone is good at it and knows how to make a good Russian sub set of decals I would more than happily buy them for you!!!!!!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:48 am 
:woo_hoo: A great collections of subs..[] Last month I had purchase one.
Good place found shipping from U.S. to Trinidad

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:37 pm 

Fellow modelers,

It is August 4th, so I may be late, nevertheless here is my little Alfa (1/350 MikroMir OOB kit - wholeheartedly recommended - even over the HobbyBoss one judging on the images posted yesterday on the company site).

Here is the boat under construction:

The screw (with lots of PE):

And the finished boat.

I just love the lines of this submarine...

I hope you like it and please give feedback, which is always appreciated!

:wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:39 pm 

I'm actually debating if this contest should be extended (unless there's any objection). There are only about 4 completed models (at least judging by what I've seen in the thread). Of course deadlines are deadlines and this one was established almost 8 months ago, so if we'd like to bring the build to a close I'll do that and I can start judging what I have. I'll definitely be taking any entries for the next few days at least.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:27 pm 

Right now I realised i have not posted pics of my finished model.... :doh_1: :doh_1: :doh_1: :Oops_1:

I will try to post some tomorrow.

I am in favour of the deadline extension, since we have seen so few finished models.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:15 am 

DrDoom,

I see no issues withan extension,first of all considering I was late myself and also it would be a pity not to see some of the guys' WIP's finished (right Dan? :cool_2: ).

Furthermore, if the HB 1/350 Victor III ever comes out and depending on the extension I may try to squeeze that one in as well!

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:44 pm 

I finished sanding and shaping all that putty at the stern. Then got sick for quite a while. Now, I've got a WW2 veteran who wants me to build a CVL-26 for him. So I haven't touched my sub in a long time. However, I'll see what I can do to get the typhoon build going again.

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:51 pm 

_viper_ wrote:

Furthermore, if the HB 1/350 Victor III ever comes out and depending on the extension I may try to squeeze that one in as well!

Just came out today: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10191523

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:53 am 

Yep, seen that, thanks Timmy!
(Although it sold out the moment it came in stock...)

Indeed I got mine on the way from a German website, hopefully within the week I will have it in my hands...not sure if and when I will be able to build it though...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:50 am 

Hi everybody,

I thought I would be able to post an update this weekend. However, I am instead letting you all know that I am out of the group build. I started to work on the central tail section that extends back past the rest of the stern by cutting an opening to install its walls. Unfortunately, the rest of the stern couldn't hold up to the pressure and crumbled in on itself. I knew there was always a possibility that something could go wrong and that it could scrap the whole project and it has... My typhoon is now in the garbage can.

Dan.

(I knew I should have entered the Akula instead of the Typhoon.) :Mad_6:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 am 

:sorry:

I really hate when that happens and even more so after all the scratchbuilding you put into it!!!!!!!

Darn!

If you are ever tempted to do it again, I would more than gladly donate my Dragon Typhoon hull (I am not going to build it anyhow nor have the guts to attempt what you did). Drop me a PM anytime.

I am not 100% sure about the rules, but given your Akula's stage of completion, maybe you can still enter it?

:cool_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:59 am 

_viper_,

Thanks for your kind offer. I don't plan to ever try to do the conversion again. I'll just have to look for an Alanger Typhoon to modify or hope for a new Typhoon to be released..

Although only basic construction and dive hatches had been opened, they were done a couple weeks before the group build started. It would be up to drdoom to decide whether or not the akula class could be entered.

drdoom,

Would it be possible for me to re-document my akula class and enter it instead? Or perhaps maybe my yasen class?

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:41 pm 

I have no problem with that!

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:17 pm 

drdoom,
Thanks, I'll post it this weekend.

_viper_,
That's a nice looking Alpha you've got there. It has some pretty sleek lines. Have you considered a clear flat coat to reduce the shine of the black?

Dan.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:30 am 

Dan,

I am indeed debating that.

The thing is, I am still gaining experience with future: I added some drops of flat to the last coat but it did not turn out as flat ad I was thinking.
At the same time, I am afraid to add too much flat that will cause the infamous silk-white effect (it already happened to me once) or spoil the subtle white wash I applied to exalt surface detail.
I would gladly accept any recommended ratio you guys use (I have both Gunze and Lifecolor clear flats).

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :thumbs_up_1:

Nick.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next